Posts by Klojum

Question: what is the best way in terms of speed? NFS - UPnP - SMB - Network location (direct)...

I'm kind of glad I abandoned ship on Windows and switched to Ubuntu Linux years ago. I think some things work easier than everything "clickity-click" in Windows.

Also the fact that Windows in the last year(s) has changed its ways on how to set up a SMB server on Windows 10 is not encouraging to me. Add to that the updated versions that each have their quirks (SMBv1 was basically a total security mess that lead to the worldwide WannaCy virus outbreak, and started new user requirements on SMBv2 and up).

In theory, NFS is faster because that network protocol has less overhead (it works 'simpler'), but some people claim that SMB works better for them. All is fine, you can ultimately test which works best for you. However, NFS is predominantly a Linux network protocol. There are howevera couple of Windows NFS solutions which are explained on the Kodi forum here and here.

UPnP is a limping file protocol in my view, it still doesn't support external subtitle files as far as I know.

When I followed that guide and rebooted the Pi, I tried to add SMB share in Kodi. Got message ERROR 2: SHARE NOT AVAILABLE.

That is because LibreELEC defaults to SMBv2, and SMBv2 itself doesn't support network browsing anymore. You will need to use the "Add a network location..." option when adding a new source, and enter full credentials (username and password) of the Windows user.

There is another option in LibreELEC to support SMBv1 again, but it is not recommended for obvious reasons.

But what about the folder name - is it ok to have spaces in the name or I need to rename it?

I choose to use spaces as little as as possible. Once you have subfolders with movies, music and/or tvshows, it doesn't matter so much for Kodi, but without spaces things works faster when you are working on the command line in Linux. Most of the time I use dashes or underscores instead.

I installed Openelec on it originally, then migrated to Librelec, and the box is running just fine.

If LibreELEC runs fine, then updating shouldn't be a problem. By the way, v8.2.5 is the latest stable release. LibreELEC is currently in the Alpha stages as far as builds with the new Kodi 18 product goes . That means, things may go still wrong, we are in a testing phase. Just so you know.

One way of manually expanding the current system partition is to use a tool called Gparted. You can create a Linux bootable USB stick and adjust your disk partitions with it. Should this USB stick not boot on your Celeron box, then perhaps you can take out the Celeron's 16GB drive and place it in a different PC and make the changes that way. Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Do you think it would make a difference if I tried going back to Openelec instead?

That would be a turn for the worse. OpenELEC is already outdated, is not being developed anymore since 1.5 years, and for example no longer supports the addons for scraping your movies and tv shows into Kodi. You would still have the problem of the small system partition.

Here's the log file

17:59:00.742 T:1944989696 NOTICE: ADDONS: Using repository repository.xbmchub

Kindly first remove the banned repository and all related add-on crap from your Kodi device before we continue to lend support, as per our forum rules. Such add-ons have been known to interfere with Kodi's core functionality. And there is also our zero-tolerance stance on video piracy.

17:59:00.399 T:1944989696 NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.

Also enable debugging and restart LibreELEC for a clean and more in-depth kodi.log file.

"Help!"... is not really a topic title covering the actual problem. It's also useless when using the search option of this forum. So a more accurate title next time will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Secondly: please do NOT supply PDF files, the world has enough possible virus threads as it is.

Simple text files from unedited kodi.log files will do just fine. Use pastebin website like Pastebin.com - #1 paste tool since 2002! , hastebin or Ubuntu Pastebin .

Also provide a dmesg listing from your LibreELEC device if you can.

CPU: AMD A4 5300 3,4 GHz FM2

Your AMD problem caught my attention. I too have such a AMD A4-5300 apu machine, though with a different motherboard (Gigabyte F2A88XM-HD3). I've installed Milhouse's latest build #1130, and it seems to boot & work just fine...

8kMlPK1.png

It wasn't a clean and new install though, I had already installed LibreELEC earlier. I have a dualboot with Ubuntu 16.04 and LibreELEC. I created the two partitions for LibreELEC manually and edited the GRUB files after that.

I have 2 NUCs a NUC 5I7RYH and NUC 8i7BEH and am not seeing the CPU issue

I doubt OpenELEC would even boot properly on your 8th gen NUC. OpenELEC hasn't been developed for more than 1.5 years and lacks recent new system and driver upgrades.

I need to restart OpenELEC at least once in order to have a normal setup. I was suspecting some kind of virus, so I reinstall everything from scratch.

OpenELEC and LibrELEC have a Linux read-only system setup. The only way you can have virus-like problems is when you install shady 3rd party repositories and add-ons.

One of the nice features of the RPi devices from the start was built-in CEC support. Most Android 'boxes' also have that these days.

For Intel-based x86-64 hardware however, this is not the case. Intel, Nvidia and AMD have all not bothered to add CEC functionality by default in any of their video solutions. The only option for now is to get yourself a Pulse-Eight USB-CEC adapter, which will cost you some extra money. It is what it is.