Posts by ukmark62

Thanks for these early builds.

Just to report that I don't see any improvement in playback of HEVC files compared to the previous builds.

About half of my vids (so far) don't play - just buffers to 100% and gets stuck, and others that do play have issues with ff,rw, skip seek etc causing lockups (as in previous builds).

If debug logs are needed etc, just let me know.

99% of my media is HEVC (x265) with 720p resolution. Audio formats used in the movies are HE-AAC, LC-AAC, opus and vorbis. Over 99% of media uses MKV container (the other few being MP4). All subtitles are external .srt, .ass or .idx/.sub.

Thanks very much for providing these early builds. I currently am using S905x (2g RAM/8g NAND) for testing.

Playback is very inconsistent. Some videos playback absolutely perfectly (HW decoding on), others just freeze at startup (gets to 100% buffering and locks up). I would say about 50% don't play so far. Also, I find that about 90% of the time, seek, ff, rw, skip etc just locks up playback and usually have to reboot.

The weird thing is I have a lot of files that are encoded with exactly the same settings, same version of encoder, same options etc, and yet some play but others don't.

If you would like, I could provide debug logs when this occurs, or is this too early a stage to be reporting these?? - I'm assuming that everybody else has these playback issues to a greater or lesser degree.

No wifi, I can get ethernet to work but it has to disconnected and re-connected after bootup.

Does anybody have a S905x2 box that has wifi working (even with usb wifi adapter) or is this not available at this time. If so, what is playback like??

I'm thinking of getting a S905x2 box, but would like to hear about others experiences with it.

Once again, many thanks for your efforts.

That's weird. I have a cheap MX10 Android RK3328 TV box and I have zero problems on all playback with HW decoding on. In fact, playback on this box is better than any of my S905* amlogic boxes - it's faultless. 99% of my media is HEVC. I have no issues with 4K HDR playback with HW decoding on. This is using the latest nightlies (I might not be up to date but it's a fairly recent one). The only small issue for me is the built-in wifi does not work, but I have a USB wifi adapter that does.

Is this a clean install? Have you any "advancedsettings.xml" file in your kodi "userdata" folder, or anything in the ".config" folder such as an "autostart.sh" that may be messing things up??

Could it be a faulty board?

I didn't realise that dtb files had such an impact on things. I was aware of their effect on wifi, usb ports and booting up, but I did not know they could affect gui speed so much. I used your a5x dtb instead of the mx10.dtb used by my build (latest stock LibreELEC master build compiled by myself) and the GUI speed has improved dramatically - and the only change was swapping the dtb and editing extlinux.conf to reference it.

The mx10.dtb was provided in the 150balbes build.

I believe my wifi chip is RTL8723BS.

Update: I managed to locate the mx10 dtb from Android Oreo - the file was named "fdt". I copied it and decompiled it in Linux to a dts file and looked at the source code. My wifi chip is RTL8723BS - guess we need driver source for that to get onboard wifi working. I tried this new dtb file with my image and it works very well (albeit no wifi).

ukmark62 I'm myself not very familiar with this process. I started working based on a DTS file available in Armbian forum. To compare values with Android, I connected to the device running Android with adb and copied the info on /sys folder . If there is any other dtb with working wifi , even if it is a disaster in every other aspect, I suggest to extract the DTS or ask balbes150 for the DTS file and try to copy the wifi section from one to the other.

Updated first post with new information about whitelist.

Thanks for that.

One more thing - have you compiled your own fork of LibreELEC? The reason I ask is that I would like to create a fork of your build (or the original build if you have not made any changes), in order to apply a Kodi patch of mine to fix audio being occasionally muted for a few seconds on playback resume. Also the GUI on your build is much more responsive than the one on mine (it could be that I did not compile from LibreELEC-master correctly).

Cheers.

By the way, the whitelist for 720p is normal to only have 50p, 59.94p and 60p. Most TVs only have the extra refresh rates at the higher resolutions (don't know why that is - but all TVs I've had have been that way.)

Hi,

I wanted to say "thank you" for your image. I have a MX10 RK3328 box that has very similar specs to the A5X max. I tried your image along with the A5X dtb and the system boots up and playback is great.

I did try 150balbes RK3328 and my own (based on LibreELEC-master). In those cases I used 150balbes dtb for the MX10, but your dtb (so far) is the only one that correctly changes the led to blue when the box is running (the others set the led to red).

Inbuilt Wifi is not working (I have a USB Wifi adapter that does work). I'm guessing that I may need to extract and modify my MX10 dtb from Android but I don't know how easy this would be. Do you know of any guide/tutorial for doing this?

Also, do you know how I can find wifi chip (without opening the box)?

Many thanks for your time and effort.

That's quite an old version there. I'm not sure of the S912 builds (I don't have one), and whether LibreELEC even supports the S912 any longer. I think balbes150 has experimental builds for S912 using a newer kernel 4.x, which is not yet as stable as 3.14. You could also try CoreELEC (they specifically support Amlogic chips such as S905(D,X) and S912 etc. You'd have to do a fresh install using rufus etc. You can get the download from here:- (CoreELEC). The S905* and S912 builds are now combined into a single generic image with CoreELEC,

I'm currently running both CoreELEC and LibreELEC (CoreELEC for Amlogic S905X and LibreELEC for Rockchip RK3328) using Kodi 18.1.

Both builds work really well.

Cheers.

Try going into Settings-->Addons and then press the menu button and click on 'Check for updates' to update and install the base kodi addons. With brand new installs, I have to do this before I can install any addon.

Do you have any 4k entries in your kodi 'whitelist'??

Go to settings, display and see if you have any whitelist entries. If not, click on whitelist and activate the 3840 entries and try again. I thought that you did not need these entries to play 4k, but it's worth a go. Just activate all resolutions that you need (usually the 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 ones)

I have been trying to locate the img.gz file for the latest LE for my Minix U9-H but have only found the .LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.4.2-fix-lost-audio-v2.tar file. Where are the img files? The sd creator tool does not seem to work with tar files.

I searched the downloads section for MINIX and got 0 results. What's the haps with LE and Minix U9-H?

Please advise.

michael

The 8.2.5 versions are the latest for LE, and they are all here:-

MEGA

(You can always get wrxtasy's initial 8.2.4.1 img.gz file from here Release LibreELEC 8.2.4.1 - S912 release · wrxtasy/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub,

install that, then if you only have '.tar' upgrade files , just place them in the kodi '.update' folder and reboot.)

FYI, I've found a possible fix for this. I also use CoreELEC, and both LibreELEC and CoreELEC have exactly the same issue on my S905x amlogic box.

Namely, in the kodi file videoplayer.cpp file, I removed the line number 1341:-

FlushBuffers(starttime / 1000 * AV_TIME_BASE, true, true);

I forked CoreELEC, made the above change with a patch to remove the line and made a test image - that’s the only change from CoreELEC master.

Now, the audio is heard immediately upon resume. So far I’ve not had any issues.

This line was not present when PR11713 was first done, so I thought I'd remove it and give it a go. All looking good so far....

Running LibreELEC 9.0 on Android TV box - S905X with 2GB ram and 16GB internal memory, running LE from 32GB class10 SD card. This issue is not present with LibreELEC 8.2.x, or Kodi Leia on Windows 10 or Android. I've provided a sample highlighting the issue (below) and this should help devs to re-create and hopefully fix the problem. Also debug log is provided with audio, video and audio/video timing information component specific logging turned on.

I’ve noticed that occasionally when resuming playback on a video, there is no audio for up to several seconds. I think there is a pattern to this on the testing I have done so far and it appears to be related to video keyframes (i.e. video resumes at previous keyframe whereas audio resumes at "actual" resume time). There was a change done in LibreELEC (version 8 - Kodi 17.6), where resumption of video playback was fixed to look for the previous keyframe as the resumption point (it used to look for the next keyframe). Here is the link from the libreelec forum, see post 1,244 concerning PR11713:- Fix for resuming playback in Kodi - link to PR11713

For example up until this change, if you stopped playback at 5:00, where the previous keyframe in the video stream was at 4:55 and the next keyframe was at 5:05, then when resuming playback, the video would start at 5:05 (5 seconds too late). After this fix, the video resumed at 4:55 (and audio also re-started at 4:55). With the vast majority of video streams it appears that video keyframes are very close to each other, and the time difference between the previous video keyframe resume time and the "actual" resume time is negligible, so you won’t notice any audio problems. I’ve found that very occasionally, the gap between keyframes can be several seconds, and what appears to be happening here is that whilst the video resumes at the previous keyframe, the audio seems to resume at the "actual" time playback was stopped. So, using the above example, playback between 4:55 and 5:00 would mean no audio was heard, and once we reached 5:00, the audio resumed.

I've posted a link to a small 15Mb sample.mkv showing the issue where the gap between keyframes is several seconds. If you stop playback at 40 seconds, then resume from there, you should notice that video playback resumes from about 33-34 seconds, and there is no audio until you hit the 40 second mark. (You may need to add the following to your Kodi "advancedsettings.xml" file or the video won't be marked as "in progress"):-

<advancedsettings>

<video>

<ignoresecondsatstart>30</ignoresecondsatstart>

</video>

</advancedsettings>

It does appear that audio always resumes from the resume time regardless of where the previous video keyframe is. This issue is not present using LibreELEC v8.2.5 (Kodi 17.6). With that version the video resumes from 33 seconds with accompanying audio.

Link to sample. Audio resume sample

Link to debug log with video, audio and audio/video timing component specific logging turned on. This log is for the resumption of playback from 40 seconds, where video resumes from about 33-34 seconds and the audio is dropped until the 40 second mark. http://ix.io/1bkp