Posts by Shoog

Well, I'm just a user, but the CE team is a perfect example of what's wrong with some open source communities. They don't take user reports of bugs seriously and are rude and unhelpful. When I reported a bug in CE on the Odroid C2 with network performance when they weren't deleting my forum posts they blamed the network protocol (SMB) and told me I was expecting too much of my hardware. I identified the same issue in LE. In contrast the LE team took my complaint seriously, identified the issue, and made test builds within hours that addressed the issue. I guess the issue wasn't my expectations after all...

So you can cheerlead the CE all you want, but some of us know better.

We all have different experiences, and I could not say that mine matches yours. Any issues I have raised which are within the remit of CE to solve have been addressed. The tone of comments is often the key though.

This unfortunately is part of the problem here, people seem unable to appreciate that the developers are doing all this for free out of goodwill on limited time and resources - and all they ever seem to get is bitching.

Shoog

In terms of general picture quality, LE scores higher, especially when it comes to OTA SD content, where the picture is sharper and colours more vibrant. However CE continues to show great improvements and recent nightly builds bring the quality much closer.

This is a settings issue and not intrinsic to CE/Leia. I had the same experience - but it was solved by disabling all SD formats in the whitelist, or in the latest versions - simply not selecting any whitelist settings. Its been discussed over at the CE forum before.

Shoog

I tested today - CE 8.95.7

Tested some UHD samples

ok_Sony_4K_HDR_Camp, Sony Mont Blanc HDR UHD 4K Demo, Sony Swordsmith HDR UHD 4K Demo

all with buffering issues running CE/KODI18 using wired Gb network

Files playing without buffering issues running LE/KODI17.6

Frankly I don't believe you. Just more mud slinging. I have already satisfied myself that one of your complaints is false.
    I like LE and use the current Leia release on my RaspPi without issues, but this constant bad mouthing of CE from certain member of the LE team is just a bit pathetic.

Shoog

Regarding CE vs LE.

Clean install or regimented staged updates are necessary with CE, or settings carry overs can mess things up if you install over an older version or jump to many versions. Best option with 8.95.6 is to disable whitelist for video and allow Kodi to revert to legacy handling as it was on Krypton. Otherwise I think most people will find that CE just works and works well.

If you want to run a stable version of Leia then its the only viable option on the AMLogic boxes and will probably remain so since the LE team have shown no interest (hostility) in rolling out LEIA for AMLogic devices. If Leia doesn't bother you then LE running Krypton on AMLogic is stable for a year at this stage and performance is as optimal as its possible to get.

For me LE Krypton simple isn't an option since the LE team never ported the driver for the Khadas dvb-s/t board back from the working version developed by the CE team.

Shoog

Since the S905X has been out for quite some time, are you infact referring to the newly released S905X2 ?

Since this represents yet another GPU with undocumented closed source drivers - it will be quite some time before there is any Linux support. On past form this could be over a year before it gets support.

So S905X2 is not just another iteration of the S905 range - it is entirely a new beast and it would be extremely foolish to be an early adopter unless you intend to do development work with it.

Shoog

Ok found the issue, I have Zomboid VPN setup on the box and it had stopped connecting because it needed a new setup file. The point where it was dropping the correct date - was the point where Zomboid was failing to connect to a valid VPN. I downloaded a new setup file and re-established the VPN connection and next boot the date and time was correct and persistent.

Shoog

Hi,

I have a bit of a strange problem here. On my RaspPi2 I have a persistent problem with the date slipping. When I boot up the date and time is correct, but after a short time (30 secs or so), it slips to some random date in the future. This started happening when I was running the stable last build of Krypton, so I decided to try updating to the latest beta Leia 8.90.006 to see if it went away. It did not.

I originally had no NTP servers set, but I tried the standard pool, a pool for the UK and a pool for IE. None of them work. I tried setting wait for network - but this made no difference.

I noticed this on dmesg, which look as if it might be the root cause:

Code
    Jun 22 12:12:04 LibreELECbedroom connmand[348]: ntp: adjust (jump): +11085112.049257 sec

Since there is a bump in the GPU core to yet another new design - and this part of the soc has always been the most problematic with Linux porting - expect the roll out of suitable LE/CE versions to be glacially slow. the only thing that looks particularly attractive to me is the USB3 support.

No matter what they say - the S905D is still the best version of the soc for Libreelec.

Shoog

it says "folder and file not found", but i copied all needed files to the correct folder on the stick. and if i try the Code
    ir-keytable -t

it says "no remote device found"

thats my problems with the provided coreelec build.

It looks like you've not yet got the correct dtb.img since it would appear that your ir subsystem isn't been started. Have you tried a few different dtb.img files from the coreelec device tree directory. I would warn you that the device trees changed quite a bit from the ones used in previous LE builds - so simply using a LE dtb probably will have broken functionality.

Go through the ones supplied with CE systematically until one works.

Shoog

Coreelec is working well at the moment. The most stable version so far seems to be 8.90.4, but the current version 8.95.2 seems very usable as a daily driver. Fresh install is the best.

I am currently running the nightly builds and they work fine with few major issues. Bare in mind though that many of the Skins and Addons out there are incompatible with the latest versions of Leia and they probably wont be upgraded until the final release candidate's come out - whenever that is.

Shoog

If you fully understand what will happen when you run it then "installtointernal" is a perfect way to run your box.

If you go into it lacking the knowledge of how to flash back to Android (as this user did) then you are not ready to use such a feature and the consequences are entirely on your own head.

i find it regrettable that this useful feature has been taken out because people have misused it.

Shoog

Okay, I understand that T820 needs proprietary drivers/libs. But isn't that the current situation? Why will Kodi v19 not work with the current proprietary solution and the current kernel? What has changed on the Kodi side?

Because the Kodi/Libreelec teams decided to stop supporting the current solutions.

All of the current fixes which make it work will be weeded out in the next versions of Kodi as matter of active policy.

Shoog

i think real world tests show that eMMC is significantly faster than a class 10 SD.

https://www.reddit.com/r/odroid/comments/2zy1tt/emmc_vs_sd_card_visual_speed_test_comparison/

Of course just as there are different classes of SD card, there are also different classes of eMMC. Many Cheap chinese boxes bundle rubbish eMMC, but the eMMC bundled in with my Khadas VIM2 is much faster than any class 10 SD card.

The data on your eMMC option is a viable compromise because the system partition is mainly just loaded at boot and resides in memory whilst the system is running, but if you don't use Android (as I don't) then its not worth the bother.

Shoog