Posts by trent

Hello,
    I am looking for an 802.11ac USB wifi adapter. I know that some adapters are physically better made than others (antenna quality etc) and of course some chipsets are better supported in Linux than others.

Do you have an 802.11ac adapter which works well for you in LE? If so, what model?

On the flip side, did you buy one which was terrible and should be avoided?

Thanks for any comments.

Thank you for the reply, I will try that when I get home, Can you please give me a little more info on how to get to the file Hosts.conf I can remote in through windows but am not seeing /storage/.config/hosts.conf ( I can put the file in the ConfigFiles directory where the Dummy Host file lives) Will that work? Or is there some other way to get to it. The first screenshot shows what i see when i remote in. Sry guys just learning my way through.

The one that you see in your first picture above is the hosts file. It just doesn't have any entries yet.
    All you have to do is add the entries to it and save (making sure to keep the .conf extension) then reboot

Your hosts file will just say

Code
    # hosts.conf # This configuration file allows you to manually map hostnames to# IP addresses # Format: <ipaddress> <hostname1> <hostname2># Example: 192.168.0.3 openelec openelec.mynetwork # NOTE: do not edit /etc/hosts directly# edit /storage/.config/hosts.conf then reboot

192.168.1.2 DESKTOP-U0whatever
    192.168.1.3 LIBREELEC

Probably the LIBREELEC entry isn't necessary.

It's imporant you use static IPs of course.

Also, when you add SMB share movies to Kodi via the GUI, you can use the IP address manually instead of choosing 'Browse'. This can be more reliable in my experience.

thats strange, as i'm getting directory not found errors on start-up:

1:49:44.728 T:139836014982912 NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Starting scan ..
    21:49:44.906 T:139835018856192 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting
    21:49:45.152 T:139835975165696 ERROR: Previous line repeats 6 times.

which I don't get when I do a manual scan after letting it sit for a few seconds after kodi start.

how does it detect the network is up ? and this is logic change recently ? with alpha 8 or 7 it was sitting on the kodi logo screen for 5 seconds (what I set in the config add-on) and then continued...

(btw this is on an intel nuc, wired connection)

Does your on-startup library scan finish quickly or hang for ages?

How is the display able to get a system time (or the OS time) if the OS is turned off?

From bios clock.

I guess what is happening is that LE sets your bios clock to UTC, then makes the adjustment to CET in the OS.
    But when LE is powered off that adjustment cannot take place so your display is telling the time in UTC.

Thanks for your answers. I've tested it again but the Same. GPU to its max and heating up. I did'nt want a fan in my Pi so i think i have to stay without Visualisation.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 3 mit Tapatalk

Raspberry Pi 3 is not capable of running at full load for an extended period without throttling or additional cooling measures.

The question is, could the music visualization be optimized so it does not use max GPU? I don't know. Drawing some lines and stuff on screen does not seem like something that should require 100% GPU load (consider RPi can do much more impressive graphics without overheating). You should ask on the relevant section of Kodi forum.

Do you even need to adjust the smb.conf options? and why?

For a long time, one of my machines was 100% stable and the other gave periodic network trouble. The cause was unknown to me.
    With 7.9.008 (which changed some samba settings), suddenly the troublesome machine works perfectly for 3 weeks. (while stable machine still on 7.0.2)

So I think great, 7.9.008 is solve all my problems, then I update stable machine to 7.9.008 also. Guess what happen? Stable machine (which never give trouble in 5 years) suddenly experience same thing that affected other machine.

So my guess now (it is just a guess) is that maybe the problem which occurred for so long is caused by some smb dispute (browser election? ) between the machines.

Maybe my guess is 100% wrong but I would like to try some settings to confirm. If my Win 10 machine is the only 24/7 machine then it is optimum that it should be master everything, correct?
    [hr]

It would make sense to set "os level = 8" so that your Windows machine will win the elections for local master browser. Leave the rest to the default.

Why not say NO for domain master, local master, preferred master ?

There will never be a situation when the LE machines are powered on but the Windows machine is not.

I have two LE machines on my network, they play content which is served from a Win 10 desktop via SMB.

The Win 10 desktop is a 24/7 machine, the LE machines are used for 0-2 hrs per day and turned off when not in use. One LE machine gets approx 2x the use (power-on-hours) of the other.

What are the suggested SMB conf settings for both my LE machines?

Code
    domain master = ?
      - local master = ?
      - preferred master = ?
      - os level = ?
      - wins support = ?
      - name resolve order = ?

Thanks

Most SD cards on the market are low grade TLC flash which is slow (to write), has limited write cycles and is more prone to corruption & bit-flips. Only good for temporarily storing photos - garbage for OS drive.

The EMMC module is probably MLC, at least it was in 2013:
    ODROID Forum • View topic - Longevity eMMC vs SD?
    But you should confirm before buying because over time everyone is switching to TLC for cost/availability.

You can buy small # of MLC SD cards - Samsung Pro, Transcend Ultimate, Lexar 633 etc. I use 8GB Transcend Ultimate in my Pi's which are about £5. Much better for OS drive than crappy TLC SD card.

Yes, be very, very careful with using diskpart - easy to trash the disk. Safer solution was proposed by me.

The risk with diskpart is that you select the wrong disk (in the case where you have multiple disks). Then of course you will wipe the wrong disk.

The same risk exists with your solution. If you write image to wrong disk...then you wipe the wrong disk. Same risk.

The reason I give alternative solution is that OP specifically asked for solution that does not involve third party tools.