Samba.conf settings (master browser etc)

• I have two LE machines on my network, they play content which is served from a Win 10 desktop via SMB.

The Win 10 desktop is a 24/7 machine, the LE machines are used for 0-2 hrs per day and turned off when not in use. One LE machine gets approx 2x the use (power-on-hours) of the other.

What are the suggested SMB conf settings for both my LE machines?

Code
    domain master = ?
      - local master = ?
      - preferred master = ?
      - os level = ?
      - wins support = ?
      - name resolve order = ?

Thanks

Edited once, last by trent (November 25, 2016 at 10:35 PM).

• Do you even need to adjust the smb.conf options? and why?

For a long time, one of my machines was 100% stable and the other gave periodic network trouble. The cause was unknown to me.
    With 7.9.008 (which changed some samba settings), suddenly the troublesome machine works perfectly for 3 weeks. (while stable machine still on 7.0.2)

So I think great, 7.9.008 is solve all my problems, then I update stable machine to 7.9.008 also. Guess what happen? Stable machine (which never give trouble in 5 years) suddenly experience same thing that affected other machine.

So my guess now (it is just a guess) is that maybe the problem which occurred for so long is caused by some smb dispute (browser election? ) between the machines.

Maybe my guess is 100% wrong but I would like to try some settings to confirm. If my Win 10 machine is the only 24/7 machine then it is optimum that it should be master everything, correct?
    [hr]

It would make sense to set "os level = 8" so that your Windows machine will win the elections for local master browser. Leave the rest to the default.

Why not say NO for domain master, local master, preferred master ?

There will never be a situation when the LE machines are powered on but the Windows machine is not.

Edited once, last by trent (November 26, 2016 at 12:39 AM).