Posts by jopereira

LibreComputer are funding someone to work on the HEVC driver (which does HEVC, VP9 and H264 on newer hardware) but we have recently learned that developer's approach/effort for the last three months has ended in a dead-end; which is both annoying and rather predictable since they didn't share their WIP code with people who'd have pointed out the wrong move earlier. Hopefully in the mid-term future there is something to share as the rest of the codebase is quite usable.

I really hope so. It's just bitter to see a competent/cheap/low power hardware, very capable media center , sent to trash just because code is not available anymore.
    I known what capable means, I use one of mine in a home theater setup, 110" projector screen, 7.1 sound system (God knowns how many watts!!! 8) )

The other... in a 24" kitchen TV!

More so when it comes to think about kodi addons - I put my boxes to use again with CE 9.2.8 (3.x krenel) using different media scrappers. The system software/driver component is not just working fine, it's working great.
    Tried the recent CE 20.2 and the audio driver has problems in my HT setup, not been capable of passthrough some audio stream (AC3, TrueHD, etc..., but does DTS just fine). If I remember correctly, LE worked great in that regard.

But Kodi's not working addons impose, for me, an unnecessary upgrade. It's just a matter of time before another addon fails and force me into a definitive change of the whole system... because an addon is not maintained anymore...

RPi4 isn't the higest-spec board, but everything on it works and the ongoing software support we receive from Raspberry Pi is the gold-standard that all other SoC vendors fail to achieve. Now that supplies seem to be resolved, it's worth considering. Or you can stick with the CE image; it might be cluttered and over-tweaked in places, but if it works..

I start to get problems with 18.9 addons (library start to get messed up) and returning here to LE 11/12 was a spark in the darkness ;) . Everything is so simple, plain simple, thanks to your work (it's very hard to make things simple!).

Perhaps I'll try to update the most recent box co newer CE, but the other one (Android 6) may not be possible.
    LE 11 gave theses boxes the same performance, which is great. Just missing a robust H265 hardware decode.

If the AMLGX image works for you, that's great. If it doesn't work for you, don't expect anything to change. I've done zero work on Amlogic hardware since April and have no plan to change that until someone shows up with new hardware decode drivers. Comparisons with CE are irrelevant due to 100% of the media driver code being different.

It's really a shame (and, in a sense, an environmental crime) send to garbage a pair of fully hardware capable boxes just because there's no software to drive it (in these case, a just a tiny part of it).

Thanks, perhaps it's time to move on (to Raspberry Pi 4, perhaps?).

I can confirm is much work with H265 than with H264 files.

• Sometimes, I boot up and works just fine (start from beginning of file) and even get two (10 minute) seek jumps fine, but the third one fails (it seems to fill the cache really fast but doesn't resume video playing).
    • Sometimes, H265 files don't even start and H264 files are also not perfect (they don't appear to be as smooth as normal and seek also often fails at some point).
    • Sometimes, H265 files start but video are not smooth and get behind sound - pausing stops audio immediatly but video will continue until it catchs up with audio pause position.

All tests with the same files, not diffent ones.

Those same boxes work very well with CE 9.2.8 (didn't test LE equivelant versions), the hardware in competent enough, so I hope for a LE solution (I really prefer LE over CE, everything is just simpler, cleaner, for instance I'm using the same LE for different boxes, not possible with CE)

(the same happens with last nightly LE 12)

Maybe, it all depends on the media being played .. and in the release notes that I write and nobody reads.

I've read, but is says "Support for Amlogic S905, S905X/D, and S912 devices resumes. H264 playback and seeking is solid. HEVC playback is okay and seeking recently improved from 2/10 to maybe 7/10".
    Since my experience, problems starting video playback, was more in 2/10 realm, I was trying to get some more info (searching "seek" in this thread lead me nowhere, so maybe I'm doing something wrong).
    I turned to H265 a long time ago, not only because files are way small but the crispiness is also in a much higher level compared to H264.

All in all, a great job from you (a $20 android box should be retired by now but you make in run like a modern PC 8) )

I just installed meson version on my two android boxes: Sunvell T95X (S905X, 1G) and a MagicSee N5 (S905L, 2G).

I was using CE 9.2.8 (in both) since 2019.

From a software point of view, they seem to be working perfectly but from a player point of view I have huge problems playing videos, especially using seek.

This is my second day and my T95X, now, often refuses to play at all - the indication is the video is playing (playing counter keep going up) but no video or audio. Skin still working fine.

My video collection is mostly FullHD x265 (basically, 80% of my collection).

Is this to be expected at this stage? Where can I find a "known bugs" list?

Not with 8.90.6. In this version the script was removed. You can however boot from SD-Card, update with the CoreElec Devel, test extensively and then installtointernal.

Anyway, this is the wrong thread. This one is about kaszaq's Builds. You want to read AdamG's pinned topic about 8.90.6. And yes, it starts with post #1 and ends with the last one. There you'll find all informations you need.

Oh shoot, too late. :)

Thanks _bhf_.

I posted here because I was considering 'downgrading' to this version, just needed to be sure I can use installtointernal afterwards to return my box to a 'true standalone' device.

Also, did not find these two answers (your's and frequency's) there. And in a fast and ilucidate manner.

Your advice (I extend my thanks to frequency) to use CoreElec Devel are turning me again towards Leia versions.

Anyway, I guess I can run/test this version (8.2.3.1) in SD, run installtointernal and them recover the backup I made before my upgrade from 8.0.1l -> 8.90.6?

installtointernal have been removed on the latest 8.90.x builds that is why your box doesn't boot. the good news is, it's now back on the Coreelec devel builds. you may need to do installtointernal again after booting from sd card then possibly setup as new.

If you want to install stable Kodi then you can use latest 8.2.3.1 or if you want Kodi Leia then use the Coreelec devel version.

Isn't the script installtointernal ran only once, and all posterior updates made without issues or special precautions? ?(

I had 8.0.1l, installed internally, almost for a year.

Recently updated directly to 8.90.6, with correct dtb file. Worked like a charm. No problems at all, but the remote keys.

But them, trying to solve a colateral issue, I updated with same .tar file and now it won't boot (AMLogic boot logo only). I used UPDATE folder method.

Since booting from SD works just fine, I tried to restore dtb file (bellow), but it still doesn't boot.

My question:

Can I use this version and do an installtointernal procedure (since it already worked fine with my box)? Will it work fine, or should I be concerned about bricking the box?

Please, sugestions ... :cool:

Thanks for sharing.

Also worked AFTER editing in Notepad++ and change EOL to Unix (Edit menu).

Can I sugest that you edit your message to tell that for other users?

Comparing to v8.0.1l I came from, power button now power up but does not shutdown/suspend. I noticed MCE (RC-6) remote power button does make a shutdown. I guess I can use my XSIGHT remote to have discrite power commands, but thta's another conversation...

BTW, where is autostart.sh supposed to be?

Hi, I use this serie of builds and now specially the 8.0d one on my Nexbox A95X S905X (2G + 16G) box. Not Nand installed so it runs from SD. I don't no if it's an issue, but the bluetooth interface is always disable with these builds and I cannot find a way to enable it if possible. Can someone helps or clarifies on that.

TIA

Mine doesn't have BT... (1G version).
    I thought it was a missing driver...

I just tried playing back the VP9 version and you're right about the S905 not being able to play that! Very slow and 100% CPU usage.

Hardware decoding wise, there are the same but the "X" has H265@10bit and VP9.
    [hr]
    minimoe
    junkpod

Yes, that was my first suspection... after changing settings, reboot, etc., I ended up making a HARD RESET and restored only ".kodi" directory..
    Please keep in mind I have not done the full backup procedure in SSH (a few pages back), only tried to restore the backup made by LibreELEC.

That's strange, a VERY usefull feature like backup been broken in LibreELEC.
    Either way, I'm very satisfied with my 22 Euro T95X box and this LibreELEC - top notch!

I had problem with this feature. If you'd have the same just do the SSH method with few commands, that proved.

I've tried a BACKUP -> RESTORE procedure and can confirm is not working (TAR file is copied to .restore directory, but nothing is restored after auto reboot).

I've done SSH procedure (more or less), and now I don't have SSH, says connection refused.
    How can I get SSH back again?

• instructions say " If internal memory of your box is not visible, try a device tree with _nand suffix.". I don't see internal memory in Libreelec system info (just USB system and storage partitions). That means I should use the "nand" one?
    • if so, how I can I revert my box to original state, as I'm not able to make another USB installation with a new dtb.img?
      (right now, with a new fresh USB memory, I get "*** Error in mount_flash: mount_common: Could not mount LABEL=LIBREELEC ***)

TIA

Tested b4 in my M8 (square box).
    Everything seems to be working well, all but DTS and Dolby that insist been converted to PCM 7.1 thought HDMI.

Something wrong with my settings (analog, pass through, all compatibility modes on)?
    Choosing HDMI

Again, great build!!!

BTW, suspend seems to be working very well.