Posts by ozarks

Try the LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.5.1-444-1000nits build from here.

I've been using it on my S912 and it's about as perfect as you can get and all videos and streams are pretty much flawless and not a dark video in sight.

I have tried Coreelec and it does work well but because I use Comskip, it isn't yet compatible with the latest Leia based releases, I'm sticking with it.

Could not be happier right now.

I would prefer to see words such as 'misogynistic' not continually misrepresented and completely misunderstood.

Firstly, in reference to the term wife acceptance factor, we should first look at what it refers to.

"an assessment of design elements that either increase or diminish the likelihood a wife will approve the purchase of expensive consumer electronics products such as high-fidelity loudspeakers, home theater systems and personal computers."

It implies no such derogatory statement about women.

It is simply a tongue in cheek reference to something that many men may well have experienced when going out to buy their beloved tech.

The really bad practice seems to come from people who are unable to balance a sense of humour with ethical and moral thinking that matters and seek to ban anything that they decide is offensive, without really looking at the larger picture.

Look at 95% of humour and you will find it aimed at somebody, often taking a stereotype and exaggerating it.

Be careful what you wish for because you may find others picking holes in what you find amusing, dissecting it to fit in whatever they decide should be right and wrong for today, or turning your own arguments around to make you face your own morality to make it appear that you want a cake and eat it kind of scenario.

That's my tuppence worth on the subject.

I am using the latest image LibreELEC-S912.arm-9.0-devel-20180920164743-905fd26.img.

I put a link to the dtb as part of the name in the last post.

gxm_q201_2g_1gbit

Thanks

New images 20180920 (kernel 3.14).

I draw attention to the changes. Now the process of installing the system in eMMC has changed. The default install of the additional copy of the LE at eMMC without uninstalling regular Android. Now, to install LE in eMMC, there is a special menu item in "Libreelec->Services->eMMC->Install to eMMC". When you select this menu item, LE will be copied to eMMC in parallel to Android (Android is fully saved and can be used). Also in the new images added two menu items to create and restore a full copy of the eMMC on external media (along with the bootloader, settings and all data). I recommend that you make sure you create a full copy of eMMC before installing LE on eMMC. Depending on the type of external media and how busy eMMC data is, the backup process can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes. After the copy is created or restored, the system automatically shuts down. It is not recommended to use the system during creation and recovery (to reduce the risk of errors). For those who want to install LE in eMMC with delete Android, you need to rename the script on the external media beforehand "full_install2emmc.sh" to "install2emmc.sh", start the system from external media and also select the item in the menu. The system will execute the installation LE to replace eMMC with Android on LE.

A very interesting option to run LE and Android in parallel from eMMC but my question is what is the procedure for switching between the the two?

I have a first generation S912 (MXIII-G2) running wrxtasy LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.5.1-444-1000nits.tar build and it's superb. Picture quality across the board is the best that I have seen from anything and it just does the job that I have waited for Android to do for far too long.

I also have a very cheap T95N S905X box which also does a very good job with the latest builds, although I do tend to find that it comes to multiple tasks such as when I'm using a couple of TV tuners, recording 2 programs whilst streaming something else from another source that it can be quite skippy but for most things it does a good enough job, including streaming of local 4K files or playback from a USB flash drive.

I also run Libreelec from 2 X86/64 boxes, one an Cherry Trail Z8350 and the other a Beebox N3150 and whilst both run well, no matter what I try, I am unable to get the same picture quality that I get with the S912.

The only downside to the S912 is that there is no working method of putting it to sleep and waking up to record OTA TV but I accept that limitation and the box uses so little juice that it's not such a great problem with leaving it on all of the time. Other S9XX boxes are able to take benefit from the sleep/wake up but it seems random as to which ones will work.

Most AMLogic boxes tend to come with 2 USB ports but I just use an externally powered hub to provide for an extra port or two when required.

I've been playing around and managed to get comskip to work with my AMLogic S912 box.

I'm not sure whether all of the following steps that I used are necessary as is was a case of try this and that until it worked but this is how I achieved it.

1. SSH into the box and create the directory /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/tools.comskip

2. Install the Comskip addon tools.comskip-8.2.90.zip from post #22 for RPi2/arm courtesy of shanemeagher.

3. Fire up TVHeadend on your browser and navigate to Configuration, Recording.

Choose your profile name of choice from the left hand window pane (probably Default profile unless you have created one for specific needs).

Scroll down the options in the right hand pane until you get to Filename Options and check the boxes for Replace whitespace in title with '-': and Remove all unsafe characters from filename:. Also make sure that your chosen profile is Enabled.

Scroll back up a little until you see the option Post-processor command:. In this field enter the text /storage/.kodi/addons/tools.comskip/bin/comskip.bin --ini=/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/tools.comskip/ini/comskip.ini %f

In the left hand pane, click the Save button.

4. Reboot your box,

5. Set-up a timer recording for a programme that will have adverts (note that if you ever stop a recording part way through then post processing will still be carried out).

6. Wait for the recording to finish and then SSH into your box and navigate to your recordings folder. In my case it was /storage/recordings

Navigate your way into the folder containing the recording, named after the show you just recorded.

You will initially see 4 files but don't do anything until post processing is complete and you see the 5th, which is the .edl file.

uaaoVti3JNzBEtnEhZFifnujH5eizCUGkO5_E78FaWxIpfmntbdUNpwFb2a7iElFxMibgRSFsp0pJLBdkIAlX5E2ZVqCH2x89zuqGa-h9Llf_AlJ_15kbDczwSzD9Z7Z35J5dGJQirUDOlhWnop04kFVsVUaa3NZPQhXEGi0srn4D6WjUm3Zr1Gqc3MapZMOBYIqakEKsrnBG0-ev-UD9G4a0UG9LbSU_CNvDjmkV_l6ttJgTyzj7OwEOJwvnsvnVEGzkaxhdg5nol-EPEWov0J9Yu_yBEEAzVjW5Ju2lzH8EumsdlPgIt0OgojhXFKxUJ7TvRqvoZbmRz-jVbNxuFRkKpzZR-diflK8JaM_3KlSPhHzTa5spoqiCPwhBfRuY3BC8T0Ks3vBNT_xeoQt5Z0e1Fl73SAUoR1UdqqToo3GJ8N2S7XHkCSxZR86qEdzqoAhXf6uhG33NLANRGgYLd5et5n0601BcybrqPp55b1OuWMvMlLpo4Pc705kLkI3tJAYD4kfBs0Q9uplmnvNpVE18l901yddcu1Qp2eDbuROlvL9Dlz3h82Ln1FRsTQeeLWT6cPazr1NFx2r6cyrlq_j5takzXnA3RfDIUmvmB-XhfKuTgQ44rlgMwYzFdM=w690-h298-no

7. Open the video in Kodi and when the ads begin, the video will skip the ads and you may even see a small pop-up in the bottom right hand side of the Kodi screen with the word Commercial, to indicate that it has reached a point and is skipping it.

Ensure that the .edl file always remains with the video file if you copy it elsewhere.

The other .log and .txt files can be deleted unless you want them for further diagnosis.

A big shout out to all that have contributed and given the answers by their own sheer efforts of trial and error.

I'm using Build: 4.2.5 ~ LibreELEC Tvh-addon v8.2.113 (2017-12-21T20:30:12+0100) of TvHeadend.

Update: I noticed when using this with a current X86/64 build based on Kodi 18 and although the addon would install and there were no errors, there was no post processing.

I then tried an 18 based distro for S912 and it didn't work either, so for now it will only work on Krypton 17.6 builds for AMlogic/Intel.

I updated to the subtitles test release and tried a dozen subtitles, all of which played perfectly.