Posts by jim_p

You are right, I did not mention the most important thing! So, it's an mxq pro 4k, with s905, 1gb or ram, 100Mbps ethernet... and no idea about the wireless.

And from all the dtb files in there, the ones that are generic and start with meson-gxbb-* are meson-gxbb-p200 and meson-gxbb-p201.

Here is pastekodi with all the info.

http://ix.io/4njx

I do not really care about the speed of each component, but I think that emmcs last longer than sd cards. Ideally though, I would rather have a small usb stick, like the sandisk fit series, in usb1 than have an sdcard pop out from the side.

Any ideas on dtb files? I do not expect some dtb that is specific to a device to work, e.g. the... 90% of the files in /flash/dtb/, but I do not know which one to try next. Moreover, the path to the device tree id has now changed to

Code
    # cat /proc/device-tree/model
    Amlogic Meson GXBB P201 Development Board

---edit
    I forgot to mention the wifi. Wlan0 does not even exist as an interface!

Code
    # ifconfig wlan0 up
    ifconfig: ioctl 0x8913 failed: No such device

Does this mean I can delete the firmware file I "installed" earlier? I also added "nosplash progress" as boot parameters, so as to check if any other systemd service fails, but the forementioned one is the only one that does.

I will give meson-gxbb-p201.dtb a try right now.

Yaaay it worked! It booted to the tty without poping that error about ethmactool and ifconfig does show eth0.

I connected it to my router and I can now access it via ssh.

I also noticed it can not access the emmc module at all. It is not visible in blkid and emmctool says "no emmc module detected". This means I can say goodbye to any hopes of booting it again from its internal storage.

There you go. The keyboard and the wifi stick were already plugged in at boot.
    https://paste.debian.net/hidden/c19d5833/

Stuff I noticed

- there is no wired interface in ifconfig, just loopback

- there is no wireless interface in ifconfig, although the driver for the wifi stick appears loaded in lsmod

- there is no rebootfromnand or installtointernal anymore :(

As for the dtb, I know here are other dtb files in there, but I hesitate to use another one in case it bricks the tvbox. When I was trying ce on it, its wiki was mentioning a gxl_p212_1g. It did not work at all and I had to find the proper dtb with the command I mention above.

The same things happen with that image as well.

In order to update it, because there is no network access, I had to insert the sd card on my pc, go to the .update folder and manually download the file in there. The update process was started at next boot and finished successfully. although it popped up some messages on the screen right before it auto-rebooted.

Before giving up, because it is 7am here and I have just woken up, I tried the wireless usb card I used on my rpi zero non-w, a tplink wn722n (the v1 version that came with atheros chipset and has great linux compatibility), but there is still no wireless option in libreelec settings.

Thank you for all the info. I just booted it and this time I completed that "first run wizard" so as to get to a working enviroment.

I now have le11 running on it, so here are the 2 major issues I noticed with a first glance.

There is no networking, wired or wireless. For the wireless part, the first run wizard showed no wireless networks to connect to, so I went to libreelec settings > network. There is no switch in there to turn the wireless interface on.

Moreover, the switch for the wired interface, under the same menu, turns off the second I turn it on! Could it be related to the systemd service error above?If it helps, it has no wire connected to it. That is because the monitor I connect my stuff to is away from the router and I do not have a long cable for it.

If I move the tvbox close to the router to connect it via ethernet, thus lose the video output to see what is going on, the leds on the network card light up, but it gets no ip as I can see from my router's settings.

And no network means no ssh access. And no ssh access means I can not provide a log. Also, since it can not boot to ce anymore, providing any info for the hardware itself, e.g. its wifi card, is impossible.

I just tried dtech's image for s905 and it simply stops at the amlogic logo. I tried all 3 dtb files availble.

I am now flashing le 11 b1 back to it.

I did it! Good news first. I sshed to coreelec and I ran "reboot update", just like I did when I installed coreelec on it (I found the howto I had followed back then).

On the next boot, and right after that blue tinted screen, it booted from the sd card and reached kodi after a while. I am so excited!

I will work on it sometime this weekend. I will also need to do the same on that testing image that is for s805, once I get the all black mxq in my hands

The bad news is that

- systemd pops a failed service on boot, ethmactool-config.service. No idea what this is.

- when the card is not on the tvbox, it just stops at that blue tinted screen and does not boot to coreelec anymore ;(

I had faced that last issue again when I had tried coreelec from the sd, but I do not remember how I had solved it. Somehow I made it boot back to android, but how?

p.s. That blue tint might be an issue with my old dell monitor. It does not happen at all on the tv.

How can I boot a s905 tvbox that already runs coreelec 9.2.x from its internal storage? I downloaded the image of le 11 b1, flashed it on the sd card, edited the uEnv.ini file, but all I get is a blue-tinted image of the amlogic boot picture, then complete darkness, followed by a non-tinted image, followed by the regular boot to coreelec. All that happens in like 5 seconds.

Normally, the amlogic boot picture is not tinted, shows up only once and right after that it boots to coreelec.

Its device tree is

Code
    # cat /proc/device-tree/amlogic-dt-id
    gxb_p200_1g

so I wrote this on the uEnv.ini file

Code
    dtb_name=/dtb/meson-gxbb-p200.dtb
    bootargs=boot=UUID=2001-4326 disk=UUID=1f15e972-a53f-4d06-9d5f-a1195c38a657 quiet systemd.debug_shell=ttyAML0 console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0

None of the four options mentioned in the wiki apply to it, that is why, back when I installed coreelec on it, I had to use a terminal-like android app to boot to recovery, then boot from the sd and do the rest.

that highly sounds like a SD card issue (dead?) and less likely a power supply issue

Maybe. I will flash it again once I am done with le 11 on the s905 tvbox... but I have not even started on that.
    As for the logs, there are plenty of them on my old thread about adding command line parameters to the rpi image. You can check there if you don't mind. There are also logs from the x64 installation that still has the forementioned issue since the nightlies.

The wierd thing about the rpi is that it stopped giving me video output on that debian 11 aarch64 I have on its main sd card. It boots to the rainbow square, it shows some boot messages and then the monitor goes on standby! If it helps, its video out connection is: rpi > hdmi cable > hdmi to dvi adapter > dvi input on a dell monitor. Of all 4, the only thing I have 2 of each and I can change is the hdmi cable :P

And all that happened ~12 hours after the doctor told me to try and stay calm, at least for the following 2-3 weeks :D

As it seems, I will probably skip le 11 completely :(

The rpi just decided to stop booting le. It just shows that "rainbow square" when it starts and then the monitor goes to standby, but the activity led keeps blinking. After like 2 minutes, and although the activity led has stopped, I still get no image on the monitor. Tomorrow I will investigate it more, but I have no big hopes.

And x64 has the same old issue with wifi not even being available on boot! I enable it, I ran iwlist scan to scan for networks, it finds both of them that exist around it but connman fails to scan find anything. Bring back wpa_supplicant please!

Last chance for le 11 will be tomorrow with my attempt to run in on an s905 amlogic tvbox.

Tbh, I have not tested anything related to playback. Last time (= when it was on the nightly) I did, I had a video (sindel) + its subtitles to test how they look on kodi 20, because I asked for a change in the default font. However, this change has not come yet and I doubt if it will for nexus's lifecycle. I did notice some shuttering though on that video's (h264) playback, but nothing more than that.

Where I do notice a lot of shuttering (almost unwatchable) is on le 10 and 11 x64 on my old laptop, since the very first betas of le 10. I will open a new thread about it when I can. No issue with le 9 though, that is why I have kept it for so long.

First bad impression on le11b1 on my rpi3b+. It still has that wireless connectivity issue that made me stop using the nightly 4 months ago. I made a fresh installation on a spare sd card yesterday, connected it to my wifi and configured some basic stuff like the skin and region. And today it just failed to connect to my wifi and I had to reenter the credentials.

I was using the nightly from late May 2022 to early September 2022, I did not miss a single one all those months, and I was troubleshooting its wifi almost daily until I got fed up with it and flashed the card with another os for the rpi. I do not know if the transition to iwd is eventually to blame, but I will probably skip le 11 on the rpi.

For the record, I tried 2 other oses since then (armbian and debian stable aarch64, on the same rpi and on the same card) and none had the same issue.