Posts by jim_p

Little Faye complained earlier this morning that, since yesterday, the tvbox (the all black s805 mxq) plays nothing! By "nothing" she means "nothing that needs internet access", so I will start from there.

First and foremost, the box was connected to an open public network offered by the local municipality and that requires the user to open a browser and accept some terms before connecting. Let's assume that Faye found her way to libreelec settings > connections and connected to that open wifi. The home's wifi, where the tvbox is connected regularly, was still there, but when trying to connect to it, it asked for the key! Entering the key though still does not connect to the home's wifi! And this is where I decided get my hands dirty...

I enabled kodi's setting to show hidden files and folders, deleted /storage/.cache/connman and rebooted the tvbox to start fresh. I entered the key again, but it still can not connect. It can not even get an ip! I repeated all that 2 more times and rebooted the router once, but still no luck. I also noticed that instead of the 6+ wifi routers in the area, the connections tab now shows only 3 (or 4 at most) and that the forementioned public network is no longer visible. Any ideas on that?

My plan for the day is to check how crowded the wifi channels are over there and to set a simpler key for the home's wifi, because it now has the default one which is like 15-20 characters long and a pita to enter every time.

p.s. When I say "I" above I do not mean me in particular, but an adult person capable to understand basic navigation inside menus etc and who is quite fluent in English. In that case, that person is her mom.

I noticed that images for 10.95.1 (11 beta2) reached the greek mirror a few days ago and I was curious if I would have to redo the dtb change in the ini file again. I also had a suspicion that wifi will not work after updating :D

Anyway, I did the upgrade and now wifi is not detected again, so I will flash the image from here again.

Index of /testing/

Do you really create images every single day? Because it is stressful for me to update it every single day!

In other news, I am still waiting my neighbor to find or buy me a button for the tvbox! That is why I have not replied all week :(

Honest question. Now that the wifi works, do I have to do all that recovery procedure to get the info you asked? I have no problem doing so, but the addition will probably take a couple of days.

Moreover, I do not really want to drill holes on the tvbox's housing. And in case I did not mention it earlier, it also has a small square ~8*8cm steel plate (2-3mm thick) mounted under its top so as to weight more. Removing that will probably make it 90% lighter :D

You don't have to write such detailed instructions. A simple "get that file and update it" would be enough, i know what I must do :)

There you go. Wifi works now!

http://ix.io/4nEm

As for the realtek driver. I can say the same about wl, which (from what I see in debian's package changelog here) has not seen a major upstream update in years! Yet, that driver is provided with le (x64 at least) instead of the opensource b43.

I have an old laptop that has a wifi card supported by both drivers (hwid 14e4:4315) and it worked fine since 9.0 that I run le on it , but it is partially broken in le 11. I even remember asking for an update to it while I was using the nightly las summer because it gave kernel panics. In any case though, it would be nice to try b43 there...

https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//non-free/b/broadcom-sta/broadcom-sta_6.30.223.271-23_changelog

As for the reset button addition, I am still waiting for the neighbor to buy me a button and I will then give him the tvbox to solder it.

Well, I asked a friend who does photography as a hobby and she said I have to use external lighting when I take photos of objects close up. And that is what I did for my second photo, placing 2 light sources on each side and disabling the flash completely.

I tried dtech's image, with both dtb files he provides, and it does not boot. I think I said it earlier and you said it is because of the new boot mechanism used by le 11 on amlogic socs. And I do not care about bt.

If those holes are really for a reset switch, I may ask the neighbor to solder one for me there.

The reason I do not want to quit already is because I really want to get a tvbox with kodi 19+ (= python2 addons will die completely by the end of 2023 imho) to that family I have mentioned in another thread (poor family of 5, with 3 kids aged from 3 to 9yo). It keeps them occupied when their parents are at work.

Right now they have the all black mxq with s805. Unlike the mxqpro4k, that one has a reset button inside the av port and installing dtech's image of le 9.2.x was very easy.

I never thought taking photos of something would be so annoying. This is the last photo I post. It takes me more time to really capture a clean one than to edit it on photoshop. And this time I had to use external lights so that the camera flash does not reflect on the board itself :(

https://imgur.com/a/GkEZmPJ

Compared to the one above, this is flipped horizontally, so the side with the hdmi and other ports is now on the left. The usb and card slots are at the bottom like before.

That is what I am saying. The tvbox has no reset button at the end of the av socket. It is more than obvious from those 3 tiny holes that indicate a missing switch at that spot. And I know that since 2 years ago that I first decided to install something in it, I did not learn it yesterday that I took it apart!

Do you mean the one right next to the hdmi port, labeled as "av"? As you can see on my photo above, there SHOULD be a button over there but it is missing. It just has 3 tiny holes there. And that is the root of all my issues with it.

Moreover, the fist thing I noticed on xda's photo was that small "bump" that is inside the spdif port, but my hopes were wiped when I saw the board on my tvbox.

Trick question: Would another dtb help in identifying that wifi chip?

I know how bad realtek's support is on linux, I have seen it all those 15+ years that I use it as my main os, so yea, no need to apologize for not including drivers for it in the image.

Regarding dtb files, I searched the ones from ce and the one I used back then is indeed gxb_p200_1g. Its github page has them too, and they seem like plain text files.

If there is a way to reinstall either android or ce, I would like to know how. I would prefer ce, because android on it is just unusable garbage.

I am now looking through dtech's thread in case I ever posted some hw id from it there. For the record, dtech also has an image file for s905 with realtek wifi.

I just got the tvbox back, so there you go.

https://imgur.com/a/O5TdEEc

The neighbor literally destroyed all 4 feet instead of opening small holes on them. Now the tvbox has no feet at all :(

Tbh, if I knew that I had to go through all that (finding the right dtb, the box not being able to boot from its emmc anymore, wifi not being detected, taking the box apart etc), I would not try it at all. But my stupid head wanted at least a device at home to run kodi 20! This has more issues than the le 11 images for rpi and the x64 image combined!

Anyway, if the wifi is one of the forementioned ones and can not work, I will install lakka/batocera on it and play old games :P

What do you mean "from the original vendor kernel"? For instance, would a dmesg from ce help? Or even a device tree from it, e.g. from dtech's images?

Taking it apart means I have to "break" its feet to get to its screws, because they are glued very tightly and I don't want to do that. I may ask the neighbor to drill holes on them so as to get to the screws...

This xda thread has a high res photo and a tip for getting it into recovery mode.

MXQ Pro 4k Recovery mode S905
    Hi all, just picked up an MXQ Pro 4K android box from bangood…
    forum.xda-developers.com