Posts by chrisssj2

Hi, it's possible you're having the same problem as me:

1. If you are trying to play a movie through SMB

2. and the movie in the shared folder also has a subtitle file

Then Libreelec crashes.

Well the video i had an issue with had a subtitle file. However when i renamed both and moved to other folder. it would play through SMB.
    So maybe thats the issue i don't know, but ultimately it still played.

Try to mount SMB via OS, not via KODI and add the mount command to autostart.sh

On my PC I created a special account(read-only rights) for use with SMB - Username: kodi Password: kodi

This will work with every Version of LE/CE or whatever

Hey how do you do that? mount SMB via OS? you mean windows?
    Autostarts.sh? what where? im realy confused
    Im new to kodi/linux and all this.

I created a new guest account earlier today with no password, called MEDIA. so it has only read rights.
    I tried a movie today, and it would freeze the entire time i access the share in the folder. Once I renamed folder and filename it did play. very weird. Any idea? Many other movies did not face this problem.

Then what is your current issue? Are films still not playing via SMB or...?

The limitation of browsing on SMB shares and W10 is known and means you have to place direct paths to the shares. That is it, nothing to be done about it.

The issue is having to type the full path, instead of using the "Direct browsing feature" through all your smb shares.

You say there is nothing to be done about it? oh ok.. atleast i know im not doing anything wrong.
    No chance of saying it will be fixed?

Another issue I have is even though I have my advanced sharing options to not require a password. Kodi will still ask a user and pw.
    Is it required to have a windows account with PW or something?

Browsing for SMB shares does not work when using W10, due to the SMB version... See:

LibreELEC (Krypton) v8.1.0 BETA – LibreELEC

(Assuming you are using kszaq's build for your mediaplayer)

Also set the max SMB version in Kodi to v3 and disable V1 in Windows 10:

How to disable SMBv1 to protect your Windows PC from malicious attacks | Windows Central

V1 was already disabled in Windows 10. I installed it because I thought it might help which it didn't.
    So yeah. And kodi was already on V3 aswell back then. Still wouldn't allow direct browsing...

I use this build:
    [8.2.4.1] LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - S912 devices

So yeah.. frankly thats why I opened this topic because it didn't make any sense to me as everything seemed setup alright.

1. Is your source (NAS, PC etc.) Supporting SMBv3? You might want to check the forced Max SMB version in your settings in Kodi and see what your source supports (in a recent update in W10, SMBv1 was disabled. If Kodi still communicates with this protocol, it will be denied.)

2. Searching for SMB does not work in LE Kodi. You have to add it with the direct path (either //SERVERNAME/SHARE or //http://192.168.0.xxx/SHARE) And then add username/password.

Once added; Kodi will scan your source / paths and add it to the library with the help of the TMDB scraper. For instance; I had to add 3 shares from my MicroServer Gen8 running Win10 to facilitate films, animations and shows/series. Kodi does the rest.

I have no idea what my PC is using for SMB version,
    I have fiddled witht he SMB settings yes, setting to min 1 and max1 or min 1 and max 3.
    Still won't allow me to browse dirtectly through SMB. Only if I enter the adresses manually.
    Also I have added SMB 1 in windows 10 settings program features.

Oh wait you are saying browsing SMB without entering any paths isn't working inLE kodi?

If I were Sherlock, I would take an educated hunch and believe there is some sort of junk content on the "troublesome" HDD's causing issues. :dodgy:

If may even be password protected .rar or .zip files. I've seen that sort of stuff cause Kodi all sorts of problems.

There is nothing of the sorts on some of those drives.
    Some other drives may contain some rar files Not PW protected though.
    So yeah.. idk.

Tried the first suggestion, the 2nd one, and the 3rd one aswell.
    The harddrive and or docking station in question that is having an issue now was working a day before i posted this thread!
    So yes it defintely was working.
    I must also note I have this in the default Android - Kodi setup.
    No message is shown when connecting a drive, but only upon removing the drive it will say " drive xxx removed"

I also use some external harddrives via usb - no problem

It´s OK to save money, but if the cheap reason is not working ....

BTW:

What is expensive for You ?

I bought a little NAS system as a christmas gift for my sister - < 100€

If that is the case then surely there must be a reason or solution. I can't be one of the few? When I have like 14 harddisks and all of them different brands and even dockings stations have this issue. All have their own power supply.

I can't buy a cheap nas because, i have got a huge setup and a small nas won't cut it for that. I need file redudancy raid 5 etc.
    And it will cost me +- 1500 euro because i need new drives aswell to create that scenario.

How are these "docking stations" powered ?

What I'm asking is are you drawing USB power for the HDD's from the MINIX U9 ?

It's really common to have HDD problems when powering 2.5" HDD's from ARM based Chipset media players.

All it takes is a marginal power supply to the media player and you will have issues.

No they have their own power supply, also I have this with normal external WD harddrives. Just that, so it happens the movie im wanting to watch is on the "seperate disks" i use in my dockings.

Otherwise, use a simple pc or other computer for your drives and turn it into a NAS, and connect your S912 to that.

Easier said then done. I don't have the money for that maybe end of the year.
    It's a bit ridic i need to buy a new pc for a media streaming box. Also if you follow my other topic. I have also have problems with SMB not working.
    Still this should be a solveable problem no?
    But yeah thats if no one can provide indepth knowledge on this matter.

Yeah my TV sees the problem drives immediatly. Well very rarely ive had issues and had to reboot tv and retry but mostly smooth.
    I only have my Minix Uh9 Neo as LE box. So yeah can only try with that. There aren't any strange files on my harddrive except for a "TN folder" with 2 small files, created by the TV. but if I delete them, it doesn't magically solve my problem unfortunately.

Thanks for trying to help though :( this is a real nasty problem.