Posts by elliottmc

Update with more testing after resolving my network issues and updating to the latest nightly build.

If I have three tuners connected, I can ssh in and lsusb shows them all fine. But for some weird reason I cannot connect through the web interface to TVHeadEnd.

If I remove one tuner, it all works fine. As soon as I plug the third tuner in, I don't get a response from TVHeadEnd.

But the stability issues seem to be resolved. LibreElec doesn't seem to be crashing now.

Right, as a follow-up, it seems that this may have been related to ipv6. Or potential issues with my network and ipv6 at least.

I was finding that the RPi5 was having a network connection, but my router showed it having a private IP address. I've now turned off ipv6, so it uses ipv4, and also manually set the IP address on the Pi. Hopefully that will be stable.

Your note that the FLIRC USB is not working makes this seem like a USB issue not related to PVR. Did you try USB devices individually in each port and see what lsusb shows.

The FLIRC works fine until the third TV tuner is plugged in.

Unfortunately at that point, the Pi doesn't get an IP address, so I cannot connect to it via ssh.

I've been plugging the tuners in first to the USB3 ports, and then only to the USB2. I wonder if it is a problem with the tuner and the USB2 port of the Pi, rather than simply the third tuner.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will have a look and report back.

Best wishes,

Mark

Power source issue? If you could connect those tuners thru (external) powered usb hub...

The RPi5 has the official 27W (5A) power supply, so I don't think this is very likely. The RPi4 has a 3A power supply and has been working for years.

I did try connecting the tuners to a hub, but not a powered one. I'm reluctant to spend more money on one in order to test this, although I may be able to put my hands on one.

Hi all,

I've been running a RPi4 with three XBox TV tuners for quite a few years. Ive upgraded to a Pi5 and when I plug in two tuners it seems reasonably okay. As soon as I plug the third tuner in, it doesn't boot properly, doesn't connect to the network, etc. It doesn't better whether I plug the third tuner into the USB socket on the Pi, or if I plug all three into a UBS3 hub (so all on a USB3 socket).

Has anyone else had a similar problem? I'm starting to think I will need to run one system (RPi4) as the TV server, and the RPi5 as the client!

To give a bit more information about the problem, I have just enabled debug logging, and rebooted after plugging in the third tuner. I'm running LE21 RC (latest nightly build) although the stable build doesn't do better. The remote control (flirc adapter) now doesn't work, and it isn't connected to the network (it shows in my modem settings as connected but "This device either does not support or is not configured for IPv4 addressing."), so I'm going to have trouble getting the log files.

This may help, although I don't understand the timeline. This was a freshly installed system this morning, so Feb 27 logging may indicate problems with the date and time.

https://paste.libreelec.tv/normal-raven.log

Best wishes,

Mark

Thanks. So I've switched from wired to WIFI and the problems have gone away, although there is some buffering on live TV which is not ideal.

It does look like the powerline stuff is a bit flaky and drops the connection, but then the RPi5 doesn't recover it very well. It's a bit of a niche setup, so it probably won't affect too many people.

What I find when it happens is there is no IP address showing in settings. Sometimes LibreElec then seems to hang completely (no response to the UI - obviously without the network I can't ping it.

It would be better if it did recover the network gracefully, but I don't know whether that is possible.

Hi,

I'm struggling to get a log that shows anything (yet) but I've recently upgraded from RPi4 to RPi5, and I can't seem to get everything stable.

I'm using ethernet with powerline networking. I think the issue is with the powerline, although other devices connected handle it better.

Basically, LibreElec drops the IP address, and never recovers it. That's a problem because the RPi is running TVHeadEnd to serve the rest of my house, as well as recording TV to my NAS.

Currently I've switched to WIFI, and it all seems more stable, which would again point to the powerline as the underlying cause. But it would be good if the RPi could gracefully recover the IP address rather than not, or sometimes hanging.

Has anyone else seen similar issues? I'm using using an LE12 recent nightly build.

Best wishes,

Mark

Environment: Dell Optiplex i5-6500, LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-12.0-nightly-20230923-86f2494.img,Hauppauge WinTV-dual HD - Dual tuner, TVHeadend 4.3, Rumster Forest mast

One of my newsfeeds mentioned a program I'd like to record. Its on BBC 3. I have BBC 3 on my Panasonic TV, and I can find it using SichboPVR on a Windows PC but I can't find it on Kodi/TVHeadend. I do have the 522MHz (which is where the BBC channels are) mux set up but no sign of it. I also have a number of timers set up so don't want to wipe everything and start again. Any suggestions / help?

It does look like it is supposed to be on 522MHz. I'm guessing you've tried rescanning?

Have you checked the other muxes, in case it is on one of those?

Yeah, it's a pain if you don't spot this, and only record the first half of the film!

Even more strange, what I find is that if I set both parts to record, the first part records for the full duration of the film (including the second part!) and the second recording is just the second half.

It's only slightly irritating, as I just delete the second recording, but it does feel like a bug.

Thanks for this. I saw this but didn't really understand if this was the problem I was seeing, and what to change to show the LE11 test builds list in 'updates'.

I too have been having network shares on SMB issues but priority for me has been to get the network up and running (openvpn / wireguard)

Do you mean trouble accessing the shares on the Pi from a computer, or accessing SMB shares on a computer from the Pi.

I can ssh into the Pi from the PC, so I know there is no fundamental network problem. If I need to I can probably reboot the PC with Ubuntu and copy the update across from there.

I have 'show custom channels' enabled, and I have previously put 'https://test.libreelec.tv' in for the URL, but I no-longer get any LE11 test builds. Am I missing some change?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: As a follow-up, I have a 'main' system running LE10, and I can access this from my Windows PC with \\192.168.1.xxx, and browse the shares. I have a test system with LE11 test builds. SMB is enabled. But when I try to access it from the Windows PC, I get 'The network path was not found'. I am using the IP address reported by LE11 and also by my router, so it can't be this. This is why I need to use the LE11 test build channel.

do you mean:

Settings => Interface => Skin => "-configure skins" => Enable category widgets

in

Settings => PVR & Live TV are some more settings regarding recording, etc

I am afraid none of those settings make a difference, and also not something I've needed to do before.

It looks like there has been a change, deliberate or not.

Hi,

I've been trying the LE11 nightly builds for a while. Everything is great, apart from one small niggle with the TVH plugin.

In LE10 and earlier, at the top of the screen I get the current/next recordings showing. I don't get this in LE11 builds. Is this intentional?

Take care,

Mark