Posts by S80_UK

...shared with "Everyone", no password needed).

I don't understand why so many people still think this is a good idea. This comes up several times each week on this forum.

With the increase in malware attacks in recent years, no security is asking for trouble at some point in the future (look up Wannacry to understand how that was spread). Probably you can fix your settings in LibreELEC to work, but you'd be better spending the time to set up proper username / password security on your PCs. You'll need to do it sooner or later.

chewitt - I'm not sure if you were addressing me or the OP. To be honest, I have never looked into paid VPN sites, so that aspect was unknown to me. I only use OpenVPN for remote access to my legitimate files stored on my unRAID server as indicated, so no third-party sites are involved. I apologise if I appeared to be condoning the use of VPNs in any other context - that was definitely not my intention.

There is a legitimate case for using a VPN - if you have a server with your content in one location (e.g at home) and you wish to access that remotely when travelling. In that case you need a VPN service running where the server is located, perhaps in your home router, and then you'd need a VPN client within LibreELEC to access it. My preference in such a case is not to use LibreELEC, but to use my tablet running Kodi, and then also to run the OpenVPN client on my tablet.

As bubblegum57 indicates, if you wish to use a VPN to hide your location from others so that you can stream content that you are not legally entitled to, then you will not receive help in that regard.

So the processor is an i3-4010U - thats a Haswell family processor, and the graphics within is Intel HD4400. I think that makes it just about the first Intel embedded graphics to support 4k over HDMi. My guess (and I am no expert) is that given the somewhat variable support by Intel for the Linux drivers for their graphics hardware, that early generation may not be as well supported as the more recent ones. By way of comparison, I run a Celeron N3060 platform - that's not a Brix, but an MSI Cubi N, so a similar concept. The N3060 is a Braswell processor with HD400 graphics and was launched two and a half years later - that works pretty well with 4k h264 encoded material.

I will allow others to comment, but it may just be that the Linux drivers from Intel are the problem here.

As already said, we have no clue which Brix unit you have. Our crystal balls are away being polished which probably does not help. :)

Generally for an Intel NUC or similar box (such as the Brix range) no special resolution settings are needed. And you can't just add drivers to LibreELEC anyway - it's built as a complete system with needed drivers included.

If you don't have 4k resolution as an option in the LibreELEC display settings then it's perfectly possibly that your unit is using an older CPU with older graphics hardware and does not provide support it. It's also possible, but less likely, that your TV doesn't report its resolutions correctly. Lastly, are the TV and Brix directly connected, or is there an AV receiver in between? If so then that would also need to support 4k pass through.

There's a good chance that even if you find a schematic, it is quite likely to be using some parts were you can only find the data sheets if you can access the manufacture's website (Chinese designs often use non-industry-standard regulators, etc from Chinese semiconductor companies). There also a good chance that even though you cannot see any visible damage to the circuit board, some of the parts will likely have internal damage. I really think you would be better off investing in a replacement box.

Are you sure it's related to the frame rate? What are the data rates for the files? At present it just sounds like variable wifi and the differences between files. Maybe try to capture some logs so people can see what's going on. Otherwise it's all pretty much guesswork.

I'm sitting on the fence here. Asrock have only announced a couple of their Gemini Lake boards so far (J4005 and j5005 still to come). Gigabyte likewise, and nothing yet from Asus, for example. It's early days. Intel have had a lot on their plate just lately and the chips are a bit delayed. I am looking for a good platform for 4k, ideally with dual HDMI ports, hopefully to be able to split audio and video (I don't want to update the AV receiver just yet). As an alternative to ITX, Elite Systems (ECS) have announed their Liva Z2 ultra-compact PC, but that's not yet available either.

Zero help. But thanks for your input.

I think that Libreelec is mostly used by people who reuse old hardware.

If delelopers think otherwise - then this project is already DEAD (or in active process of decaying)...

IMHO...

Not zero - you were given very specific advice. Do you realise that as a standard, PCMCIA is over 25 years old? The fact that the advice did not fit with your specific needs as well as you would like was, as they say, too bad.

If you look around the forum you'll find that a huge number of users dedicate new hardware of various forms to running LibreELEC. That can range from cheap Android boxes being repurposed, Linux oriented devices such as the Raspberry Pi and similar, and various x86 PC platforms such as INtel NUC boxes and similar. Apart from trying out LibreELEC on older hardware to see if it fits your needs, if you really want a stable platform that might be supported for possibly a few years, then new hardware, even if low cost, often makes more sense.

You'd need to check the settings as above. Also, check for anything strange in the BIOS settings (even try restoring to defaults and then set up from there). Lastly, your hardware description is at the less detailed end of the spectrum. What's the hardware consist of? It's hard to give help without knowing anything about the system. Lastly, there's no such version as latest. While we may think we know what you mean, that could change any time there's an update released. Always try to quote real version numbers if possible.

I have checked the specifications of the CPU as described on the label attached to the black card box which the device came in.

It says CPU Amlogic S912 Octa Core ARM Cortex A53. However, I have not pulled the device apart to actually check the CPU that is installed.

It is not uncommon for some devices to use different silicon from that stated on the box, different amounts of RAM, etc. Some boxes even lie about their contents with their start-up screens. Not saying that is the case here, but it could be, and so if you can get no further it may be worth checking inside.