Unplayable file, buy only in LibreElec

• Hello. I have an ODroid C2 with LibreELEC 8.1.1. When I try to play this one MKV file, I get the first frame, then only audio. If I try to skip forward, I get endless buffering. This happens over ethernet, or even if I copy the file to the local ODroid device, so it's not a network issue. Here's the log, FWIW.

I can play the file just fine in Kodi on my Mac. This happened to a different file a few days ago. Many others files play just fine.

I'm happy to get the file to anyone that might want to look at it.

A little more info. I noticed this file frame rate is 59.940060 and decoded formate is Planer 4:2:0 YUV. Could that be an issue?

9935154_l.png

Any ideas? Thanks.

update: moe info. If I turn off Accelerate H264 in Kodi settings, the file plays fine. Is this a known issue?

Edited 2 times, last by AllanMarcus (September 14, 2017 at 5:56 AM).

• You are trying to play 10bit (part10) H264 content aka Hi10P Anime. An unsupported custom "Scene" video compression method.

There is no hardware video decoder on any hardware platform for 10bit H264 content, so software decoding is attempted and the 4 CPU Core - AMLogic S905(x) do not have enough power to do such software decoding.

• You are trying to play 10bit (part10) H264 content aka Hi10P Anime. An unsupported custom "Scene" video compression method.

There is no hardware video decoder on any hardware platform for 10bit H264 content, so software decoding is attempted and the 4 CPU Core - AMLogic S905(x) do not have enough power to do such software decoding.

Newer Rockchip SoC (e.g ROCK64) have 10bit h264 hw decoder (currently unsupported) ;) and also Intel Apollo Lake.

• Thanks, but it plays fine when acceleration is turned off. Maybe the devs could hard code acceleration off when the chroma is set to 4:2:0 and the CPU doesn't support it. Would that be possible? Right now Ihave to manually turn off acceleration, watch the video, then turn it back on. A bit of a hassle.

I though I read 4:4:4 is hard coded. Not sure about 4:2:2. Maybe an advanced setting could be added to auto turn off HW acceleration when playing 10bit H264 on an AMLogic S905(x).

Possible?

• no, wait. It is attempting to play, but it is not playing with HW decoding. It plays with software decoding. I'm proposing that HW decoding should not even be attempted for these types of files, and that should be hard coded. Like I said, it plays fine when acceleration is turned off.

• DaVu yes sure but read my post. The claim is that the file is hi10 h264 and is played by KODI using amcodec hw decoder but I posted a link to the source code wher you can see that amcodec is disabled for hi10. Anyway I still haven't tested the sample. There is definitely a bug somewhere.

• I was wrong about Hi10 H264

Codec info says Part10 not Main10

Played the file and the OSD Codec info is constantly flickering between 29.97 & 59.94fps with long freezes.

Weird encoding I suspect.

• I was wrong about Hi10 H264

Codec info says Part10 not Main10

Played the file and the OSD Codec info is constantly flickering between 29.97 & 59.94fps with long freezes.

Weird encoding I suspect.

That might be an artifact of the ffmpeg clip. The original file plays consistently a 59.940FPS. Here it is running on my Mac.

9935158_l.png

• Thanks. 1M didn't work (dd: bs: illegal numeric value), so I just put in 1000000 and got about a minute. Here's the new file. I guess I didn't notice the first test file I made was about the same size as the original, so it just transcoded it; didn't clip it. At any rate, this new file is only 50MB, not 650MB.

note: use lower case "m" for the bs argument on BSD (including OS X)

50MB clip

test1.mkv

Original file

original.mkv - Google Drive

Also, turns out the file doesn't not play well with HW acceleration off. For some reason it worked once, but I tried again, and it plays like crap on the ODroid with acceleration off.

So, any help getting this file, and others like it to play, is greatly appreciated. Or at least figuring out why it doesn't play so I can avoid them.

Edited 2 times, last by AllanMarcus (September 16, 2017 at 4:40 PM).