SolidRun hummingboard - since 8.0.2-3.14-sr journal flooded with "of:Nhdmi_video"

• Just updated my hummingboard (with VDR for TV-recording) to vpeters LibreELEC-imx6.arm-8.0.2-3.14-sr image.

Starting with the 8.0.2 the systemd journal is flooded each second:

Because my SAT receiver (DVBSky S960 DVB-S2) doesn't work anymore with newer kernels I'm bound to the 3.14-sr.

Here's a part of the boot log:

• No, 8.01 doesn't show this behaviour

Edited once, last by SusisStrolch: Edit: sorry - I'm not sure if I run the 8.0.0 or 8.0.1 before. Just ried the 8.0.1 - it shows the same problem. But, it also has a Linux version 3.14.79. (August 10, 2017 at 12:34 PM).

• After some iterations over SD-card and different versions I finally found the reason why it shows up.

I've changed my "uEnv.txt" in the past and added "debug progress splash=off" as additional command line parameter.

After adding the debug option it even shows up in a clean, new installation on a virgin SD-card.

But anyway - there's something wrong - either on my side (DVI connector) or with the kernel.

The irritating part is the 'of:Nhdmi_videoT<NULL>Cfsl,imx6q-hdmi-video' thrown in the log file...

• All kernels (starting from 8.0.0) show the same version - 3.14.79.

I'll investigate a bit myself to see if it only happens with DVI connection monitor. I have to admit I also changed the monitor port in the past, but didn't notice this behaviour.

In fact, now I only see

Code
    Aug 11 14:27:48 hummingboard kernel: mxc_hdmi 20e0000.hdmi_video: mxc_hdmi_cable
    _connected reports DVI mode
    Aug 11 14:27:48 hummingboard kernel: mxc_hdmi 20e0000.hdmi_video: Same EDID
    Aug 11 14:27:47 hummingboard kernel: mxc_hdmi 20e0000.hdmi_video: mxc_hdmi_cable
    Aug 11 14:27:47 hummingboard kernel: mxc_hdmi 20e0000.hdmi_video: Same EDID
    Aug 11 14:27:46 hummingboard kernel: mxc_hdmi 20e0000.hdmi_video: mxc_hdmi_cable
    Aug 11 14:27:46 hummingboard kernel: mxc_hdmi 20e0000.hdmi_video: Same EDID

repeating each second.

• What does your /sys/devices/soc0/soc.0/20e0000.hdmi_video/uevent look like?

Mine contains

Code
    hummingboard:~ # cat /sys/devices/soc0/soc.0/20e0000.hdmi_video/cable_state 
    plugin DVI
    hummingboard:~ # cat /sys/devices/soc0/soc.0/20e0000.hdmi_video/uevent 
    DRIVER=mxc_hdmi
    OF_NAME=hdmi_video
    OF_FULLNAME=/soc/hdmi_video@020e0000
    OF_COMPATIBLE_0=fsl,imx6q-hdmi-video
    OF_COMPATIBLE_N=1
    MODALIAS=of:Nhdmi_videoT<NULL>Cfsl,imx6q-hdmi-video

So I suspect there's something missing when creating the udev event and the monitor is connected via DVI - because the T-field seems empty...

Seems the device type isn't set with DVI connections (excerpt from: drivers/of/device.c)

Code
    /* Name & Type */
        csize = snprintf(str, len, "of:N%sT%s", dev->of_node->name,
                 dev->of_node->type);

Edited once, last by SusisStrolch (August 11, 2017 at 3:03 PM).

• Ok, last one was a guess. udevadm shows a bit more:

So it seems to be a problem with the "plugged" state...

• Mine result - HDMI connected directly to TV.