Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB External Desktop HDD Won't Mount? [SOLVED]

• Hi, I bought this hard drive:

Amazon.com: Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB External Desktop Hard Drive Storage (STEL8000100): Computers & Accessories

But it won't mount? I've install LibreELEC on a ASUS CN60 Chromebox. I've tried it in each of the 4 USB 3.0 ports and it simply won't mount.

However, when I unplug the HDD, I get this notification:

Successfully removed storage device

But, I can't see it mounted anywhere when it's plugged in? I can see my other USB 3.0 HDD's just fine.

I can even connect a USB 3.0 HDD hard drive into its built-in USB hub and openELEC will mount it. However, I can't see the 8.0TB drive mounted at all?

This a real conundrum. Any ideas?

• Official Post

Make sure that the external drive is not still in hibernation or suspend mode from a Windows session.

Also double-check for any disk errors, because Linux does not like them.

Connect the drive and SSH into your Chromebox, and provide the URLs from the following commands:

Code
    blkid | paste
    mount | paste
    dmesg | paste
  • Make sure that the external drive is not still in hibernation or suspend mode from a Windows session.

Also double-check for any disk errors, because Linux does not like them.

Connect the drive and SSH into your Chromebox, and provide the URLs from the following commands

blkid: (hmm, it shows up in here as Movies 3)

Code
    /dev/sda1: LABEL="System" UUID="575d347d-ce17-4c82-b967-f65b1be93ece" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="98ad157b-01"
    /dev/sda2: LABEL="Storage" UUID="6b944810-df24-428d-a925-8e49462de498" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="98ad157b-02"
    /dev/sdb1: PARTLABEL="Microsoft reserved partition" PARTUUID="d2a27213-6b77-4207-9a98-c49f04236a1c"
    /dev/sdb2: LABEL="Movies 3" UUID="0E8EC8E38EC8C505" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="Basic data partition" PARTUUID="0a266a96-0dfd-434d-814a-82a50ba58803"
    /dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
    /dev/sdc1: LABEL="Movies 2" UUID="34BCE1B0BCE16D34" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="3d4c4f5d-01"
    /dev/sdd1: LABEL="Movies 1" UUID="6E44965544961FBF" TYPE="ntfs"
    /dev/sde1: LABEL="Movies 4" UUID="4E6A894E6A8933AD" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="62ff2e03-01"

mount:

dmesg: Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB External Desktop HDD dmesg - Pastebin.com

Edited 2 times, last by redlibre (July 23, 2017 at 10:44 PM).

• SOLUTION:

I plugged the HDD into my Nvidia Shield Android TV to see if the NSATV could mount it. In Android, ES File Explorer detected it and "mounted" it but I could not open the drive. I opened SPMC (Kodi variant for Android) and it did not show up.

I decided to reboot the NSATV, just for the hell of it.

After it started again, I opened SPMC and I could see the drive! I explored the drive and was able to view movies on it! It was still not accessible by using ES File Explorer.

In the back of my mind, I was hoping that maybe now LibreELEC on the Asus Chromebox could properly mount it. I plugged the HDD and turned on on the Asus Chromebox and it worked! I could now see my HDD! I've set the content and it's now scraping the media.

So, this is what the drive looks like after a successful on an NSATV:

• $RECYCLE.BIN
    • Android
      • data
      • obb
    • LOST.DIR
      • empty
    • Movies (pre-existing folder)
    • NVIDIA_SHIELD
      • empty
    • Screensavers (pre-existing folder)
    • System Volume Information