Headless LibreElec?

• Hello,

In January 2015 the Kodi Community Update blog had a short piece about a Kodi headless mode. The piece described a stripped-down reworking where Kodi was to be transformed in to a dedicated media server.

I was wondering if LibreElec is following this development and if you have any plans to develop and release a headless server version of LibreElec. Hopefully with images for all those soon to be redundant boxes without support for 10bit Hevc. Boxes like my Cubox-i and Wetek Core.

Thanks for your time.

Thomas

• Official Post

Why? You don't need to actually run kodi on a server. All you need is samba or nfs.

The idea was to be able to manage the databases from a server role, so you can update the databases and add new content on the same server where the files sit. Then when you boot your kodi client all the new media is there already.

• Oh well, I'll just have to pin my hopes on OpenMediaVault instead. And think about bunging the boxes on ebay. And be more circumspect with my next choice: opting for something that won't be hurtling towards obsolescence 6 months after its release. Hopefully the Odroid C2 will fill the void.

• The idea was to be able to manage the databases from a server role, so you can update the databases and add new content on the same server where the files sit. Then when you boot your kodi client all the new media is there already.

You should use emby for this.

It's simply great and works very well with kodi.

Using it everyday with it's apps, web interface, Chromecast and on s905 and Intel device with LibreElec.

I hope they will not transfer kodi into client/server but at least make it optional.

Ciao, Alfred