[S905X] Update from 7.x 64bit to 8.x 32bit ends in mount error

• Hi,

today I tried to update my LibreELEC from 7.0.3.11, which ran under 64 bit, to the new 8.0.2e, which is available in 32 bit only.

My device is an Egolggo S95X Pro (2 GB RAM, 16 GB flash, Android, IR-remote with a mouse mode).

With 7.0.3.11 everything worked "out of the box", CEC, the remote in both modes, WLAN, LAN, everything.

I had installed it on an 128GB USB3-Stick from Sandisk.

To boot the first time from it, I had to press the menu button on the remote to do so - pressing "reset" did not do the work. But then it worked.

Until today.

First I tried to install 8.0.2e on another USB-stick (USB3, 32 GB, Sandisk).

I tried 4 combinations:

- writing the stick with rufus and the included dtb-file from the image (= not caring about a tree file)

- writing the stick with rufus and the renamed tree file for 905X

- writing the stick with Libre-Elec USB Creator and the included dtb-file from the image (=not caring about a tree file)

- writing the stick with Libre-Elec USB Creator and the renamed tree file for 905x

The image I used was: LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.0-8.0.2e.img.gz

Each attempt to boot - after the S905X logo has been shown by the firmware - ends in the error message:

"Could not mount LABEL=LIBREELEC"

As someone in a forum suggested, that LIBREELEC has to be renamed (to the same name) to overcome some issues, I did so - but no effect. Then I checked the non-FAT partition... but see below.. (it's still unallocated at this time).

Then I ignored the different versions of 32 and 64 bit and made an update on the old USB-Stick:

I copied the new 32 bit image into the .update folder of the old 7.0.3.11 64 bit version.

Then I rebooted and - first - everything looked fine:

- unpacking the image

- Installing into the different folders

- but: in the end the boot folder was not updated, as was stated on the screen. (the time diplaying the message was very short, so I could not read more about it).

And, finally, now my ex version 7 USB-Stick fails to boot, too. The error is the same as with the clean install: the mount failure.

When examining the USB-Sticks, that rufus and the other tool create, I see these spaces on it:

a) a FAT16 partition with some files, for example the dtb.img, a very small kernel file etc. Primary. Active.

b) a Linux partition with no name, identifier 63h. 32 MB of size. Primary. (The boot partition?)

c) unallocated space for the rest of the space on the USB-stick.

I tried to create a partition with ext4 in this space, and named it "LIBREELEC", too, but no effect.

Any ideas, what is wrong with my booting?

Thank you very much,

Tobi

P.S.: I found a weekly version of LibreELEC 8.x in 64 bit: Same error. So I guess, the problem has nothing to do with 32 / 64 bit (?)

Edited 9 times, last by tobi (July 7, 2017 at 1:50 AM).

• You shouldn't worry about "bootloader NOT updated" - this is intended and my builds never update bootloader to not brick the box.

You do not need to rename partitions - burning image with Rufus will make sure they are properly named. And when you update from 7.0.x -> 8.0.x, updater script will rename partitions as needed.

I don't know where you got "64-bit" images from or "weekly build" - I can only support my builds posted on this forum.

For me it looks like there is an issue with initializing USB and this can be diagnosed only be analysing kernel log over serial console. You can also try booting from SD card and check if USB drives are visible after booting.