imposible to read mkv even with licenses

• Hi all,

Since a few days, I'm the happy owner of a Raspberry Pi3. I bought it in order to create a media center : I want to read with Pi my video / audio files stored on my PC connected to my home network.

I installed Libreelec and basically, it's working fine... Exept : I cannot read mkv files. I bought both licenses (VC-1 and mpeg-2) and checked in raspbian that there were working : terminal returns that they are both enabled.

What happens when I try to read a mkv file from the network is the following : firstly, for each file that cannot be read with Pi, the date displayed is 1969 (instead of the true date), then nothing happens if I try to play the file. After several seconds, an error message shows up, telling me that a problem has happened.

Bellow is the codec list of a file I cannot read. It seems to me that Pi should be able to read it, shouldn't it ?

• OK I'll try that too but I would be surprised that the problem comes from network because it can play some non mkv video files (like mp4) from the network. But I'll try anyway, it's a quick test ;)

• OK so I have some news :

-From the network, I can read mp4 files but not mkv files

-From a usb stick, I can read mkv files. I dod not try mp4 but I assume it works J

-When I try to play mkv from the network, I have an error message : "Playback failed. One or more items failed to play. Check the log for more information about this message". But when I check the logs (information, basic, warning, error), I get nothing except "Kodi successul start"

Any idea ? There are integrated subtitles in the video (that can be enabled or disabled when I read it with VLC on windows), can it cause it to fail ?

-One other remark : it happens sometimes that Libreelec freezes a few seconds after it starts. Might be linked to the fact I try to use Yatse app from my android phone to control it. I don't know if there is a link...

• If those MKV files contain 10bit versions of the H264 format, your Raspberry Pi is not equipped to handle those.

I believe @leposcaille reported the same file played from USB so it won't be that.

If a file plays from USB and not from network then it is most likely file permissions of the server that contains the files.

Information on the protocol used (e.g. smb/nfs) and what the OS the server is running would be useful.

As would the log file.