Hang on splash/boot screen g6-1d62nr

• Clean install of LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.2.img after prompted reboot from install, hangs on splash screen

Spec Sheet: HP Pavilion g6-1d62nr Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

======================================================================================

Facing an issue installing the current generic x86 builds from 7.90.010 -- 8.0.2

Installs successfully, then hangs on splash/boot screen after reboot prompt.

Tried installing previousLibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.90.009.img and it functions normally.

Attempted a work-around manually updating from LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.90.009.img

to the current LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.2.img.

However I was faced with a size error Your System (FAT) partition is too small for this update

After resizing /dev/sda1 in gpartion, it proceeded to hang on the splash/boot screen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There may have been some internal change between LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.95.0. and LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.2.img that

discarded support for older Generic.x86_64 devices.

Similar to imx6-solidrun-kernel-3.14 issue Index of /imx6-solidrun-kernel-3.14/

• Official Post

AMD Radeon HD 6480G Discrete-Class Graphics

I knew of the HD 6450, but the HD6480 is new to me. The challenge with AMD graphics has been a big one for most of the time. Like a lottery: some work, some don't. It could also be that video card check isn't 100% perfect.

Install the latest Generic build first, just to get the bigger system partition size. After that, you can use .tar files to update/downgrade more easily.

I am wondering if the latest OpenELEC build 8.0.4 supports your box more properly as it recently changed to an X11 Modesettings GPU driver for AMD graphics. The discarded support for older Generic.x86_64 devices involves the older Nvidia legacy 304.x drivers AFAIK, where we now use the 340.x drivers.

• Sorry for the late reply.

I am wondering if the latest OpenELEC build 8.0.4 supports your box more properly

I attempted a clean install of 8.0.4, however it reproduced the former issue Installs successfully, then hangs on splash/boot screen after reboot prompt.

Install the latest Generic build first, just to get the bigger system partition size. After that, you can use .tar files to update/downgrade more easily.

I should have prefaced that with more information

I received the sh:cant accees tty:job control turned off error, when doing only a clean install of the latest generic build

When upgrading with .tar from usable build I received Your System (FAT) partition is too small for this update

I'm unaware of any other alternatives. If you have any understating relative to circumventing the issue, I would appreciate it

If not, I will continue using the above-mentioned usable build LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.90.009.img

• Official Post

If the AMD graphics are too sutbborn, the other alternative is to get some hardware that is better supported. Like a Raspberry Pi 3 connected to your TV.

Or a laptop with a reasonable Intel HD Graphics gpu in it. A simple recent Chromebook should do already.

• alternative is to get some hardware that is better supported

Naturally, I agree that would without a doubt be a solution.

Likewise, I want to thank you for your help.

I'll remain on LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.90.009.img for now and continue testing previous openelec builds