How to manually backup video database INCLUDING ARTWORK

• Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I migrated from OE to LE on my RPi3, including the add-ons which I retained from my old OE set-up and where necessary updated after the migration. However not all is well. The LE system settings addon complains that it's not ready and I'm having stability problems (sudden reboots in the middle of audio playing, something I suspect but can't prove might be related to the Shadertoy visualization add-on).

A clean install seems to be indicated.

However I have a fairly massive video library that I have spent a lot of time massaging into what I want it to be, and I can't bear the thought to have to start from scratch by re-scraping everything and then restoring my collections, watched/nonwatched marks and what not from scratch. Also, I've got a lot of fanart, which is an important part of the user experience offered by Xonfluence (which is my skin of choice).

What I want is to back up all video related database stuff and artwork, then do a clean install including the add-ons from scratch, then restore the video database contents and artwork. Unfortunately, with the LE settings add-on out of commission, I don't have access to the standard backup feature.

So how do I manually back up my video library (not worrying about music for now since that's not been scraped yet in any case) INCLUDING all the video artwork? I've managed to locate .kodi/userdata/Thumbnails, .kodi/userdata/library and .kodi/userdata/Database, but I'm not sure that's all I need.

If anyone can point me into the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Tnx!

// FvW

• If your intention is to install the same version of libreelec as now then copying the following will keep your whole library and sources intact:
    .kodi/userdata/Thumbnails
    .kodi/userdata/Database/MyVideosxx.db (where xx is the highest number if there's more than one MyVideos database
    .kodi/userdata/Database/Texturesxx.db (as above, highest number present).
    .kodi/userdata/sources.xml

Install new libreelec.
    Connect via ssh (putty if using windows).
    Run 'systemctl stop kodi'
    Paste the files and the Thumbnails folder into place.
    Run 'systemctl start kodi'
    Library should be back.
    If you're doing that on a fresh card there's no need to make backups - if using the same card back up first with the built-in libreelec addon and move the backup (tar) off the card before reinstalling.

The alternative to doing the above would be to export your library and re-import - details in the kodi wiki.
    Personally I'd just copy the databases, as long as your file paths aren't changing.

Edited once, last by trogggy (May 15, 2017 at 1:16 PM).

• Yes, I will reinstall exactly the same LE version. Will the above include the fanart images?

The built-in libreelec addon doesn't work on my current install, which is one of the reasons for the clean install (see my OP) so I need to do this manually.

Tnx!

// FvW

• Yes, I will reinstall exactly the same LE version. Will the above include the fanart images?

That's everything in your video library. Plus a bit of junk that accumulates in textures.db / Thumbnails.

The built-in libreelec addon doesn't work on my current install, which is one of the reasons for the clean install (see my OP) so I need to do this manually.

It would be a good idea to keep a backup of some kind just in case, obviously, until you're happy it's worked.
    Using a different card is the easiest way, or use the backup addon in the kodi repo or copy files from storage/.kodi via smb / ftp / whatever.

• That's everything in your video library. Plus a bit of junk that accumulates in textures.db / Thumbnails.

It would be a good idea to keep a backup of some kind just in case, obviously, until you're happy it's worked.
    Using a different card is the easiest way, or use the backup addon in the kodi repo or copy files from storage/.kodi via smb / ftp / whatever.

Awesome. Going to try that, using a different card just in case. Thanks a million-- it's greatly appreciated!!

// FvW