[BUG] S905X Krypton: Frame skips caused by burned-in forced subtitles

• Blu-ray's original forced burned-in subtitles trigger massive frame skips.

Device type:
    S905X
    Build:
    8.0.1j
    Device:
    Mini M8S II 2GB/16GB

How to reproduce:
    Play sample file from Avatar (BD remux) and monitor PlayerDebug for frame skips.

Sample:
    view?usp=sharing

Specs from sample video in log:

Support logs:
    Attached.
    Every new subtitle line triggered one or two frame skips.
    I think there also was one skipped frame in the beginning w/o subtitle (see other bug report).

• Nitpick: These are not "burned in" subtitles, but "forced" ones - they are a separate stream, and get shown by default. "Burned in" is used when they are rendered and made part of the video stream during re-encoding.

I mentioned the same problem with a different sample here: thread-7559.html

I noticed that custom fonts / unicode characters make the frame drop more apparent. Then again, some super-heavy subtitles with effects and whatnot get rendered just fine. It is a different format (substation alpha, or "ssa") so the reason for the problem here and in my sample might lie in something that is specific to blu-ray subtitles (pgs format, I think)

• jd17 Thank you for providing sample and Kodi log. mmpp I must have missed that report of yours, I'm a busy man recently...

I have tested the file and can confirm the issue... and that it's also present when using Kodi on Windows, definitely not Amlogic-specific issue! I will see if I can escalate this. If you can reproduce on Windows, you might also want to post a bug report on Kodi forum: Kodi Community Forum - Video Support

• Nitpick: These are not "burned in" subtitles, but "forced" ones - they are a separate stream, and get shown by default. "Burned in" is used when they are rendered and made part of the video stream during re-encoding.

OK I understand. I thought it was burned in because there was no way to deactivate the subtitle, but I guess that is kind to the intention of "forced". :)

I mentioned the same problem with a different sample here: thread-7559.html

Sorry I missed that - I hope that is not an issue?

I noticed that custom fonts / unicode characters make the frame drop more apparent. Then again, some super-heavy subtitles with effects and whatnot get rendered just fine. It is a different format (substation alpha, or "ssa") so the reason for the problem here and in my sample might lie in something that is specific to blu-ray subtitles (pgs format, I think)

Yes, PGS is correct - which is a picture based subtitle type.
    SSA/ASS and SRT are text-based as far as I know.
    [hr]

I have tested the file and can confirm the issue... and that it's also present when using Kodi on Windows, definitely not Amlogic-specific issue! I will see if I can escalate this. If you can reproduce on Windows, you might also want to post a bug report on Kodi forum: Kodi Community Forum - Video Support

I cannot reproduce the issue in Windows.
    However, I am using a Leia Alpha in Windows, so it might already be known/fixed in Kodi.
    (Kodi 18.0 Alpha1 from 16 April 2017.)

Edited once, last by jd17 (May 7, 2017 at 7:32 PM).

• jd17 it is not an issue, but an indication that the problem is not an isolated issue on your side :)

kszaq I cannt reproduce the frame drops with kodi 17.0 on windows 10 64bit with nvidia 960 and 4k monitor. ctrl-shift-o shows no frame drops and the video is visually smooth

• My laptop is Windows 7 64-bit, i7-3720QM, Intel HD 4000 and the issue can be reproduced with latest stable Kodi.

Edited once, last by kszaq (May 7, 2017 at 8:36 PM).

• My test with Leia was on an i5-7500 with Intel HD 630.
    The monitor does not support 23.976fps though, so the video was played at 60fps.
    Maybe this has an impact on the subtitle issue?

I will test this on RPi2 if I have the time.

• On my lowly laptop (i3-5005U/Intel Graphics 5500/Win10 64bit/Kodi 17.1) and out of 4 plays, 2 were perfect and the other two dropped 2-3 frames long before the subtitles appeared. The subtitles didn't seem to cause frame drops.

With LE 8.0.1f there are dropped frames just before the subtitles for the alien language appear. These are actually "burned-in", the PGS subtitle stream in the sample is for the English dialogue only.

Edited once, last by minimoe (May 7, 2017 at 10:51 PM).

• The subtitles aren't burnt-in, you can turn them off. I have played the sample several times on Windows and there's always a frame drop when the subtitle is shown.

• The subtitles aren't burnt-in, you can turn them off.

Well... I can't! :)
    Even with subtitles disabled, the subtitles with the unusual font (the ones that cause the frame skips in LE) still appear.

You're right though, they are not burned-in. I remuxed the file without the subtitle stream and all the subtitles are gone.

Edited once, last by minimoe (May 7, 2017 at 11:25 PM).

• I will test this on RPi2 if I have the time.

I finally had time to dig up the good old RPi2.
    I can confirm that the skips occur on RPi2 as well (official LibreELEC 8.0.1).

This definitely makes this a global Krypton issue.

• I was wondering if it is maybe possible to import the fix from a Leia Alpha?
    As I said, I do not have these subtitle skips in my Leia Nightly build in Windows, I could also test a Leia Nightly for the Pi if that helps.

Unfortunately I don't know when and how it was fixed - maybe you (or someone) can make sense of the Leia Nightly history log?

• There are ca. 1400 commits from Krypton to Leia. Unless the fix is something trivial it is very unlikely that it can be ported. Have you reported the bug to Kodi bugtracker/forum?

• No, not yet.
    I tried to search for "subtitle" and "skip" in the forums, because I wanted to make sure there is no report yet (judging from the issue apparently being fixed in Leia).
    However, I did not find anything, so I will report it.

Can you give me a hint of where to report the bug?
    Would "Video Support" be the correct subforum?
    Kodi Community Forum - Video Support