Tag editor add-on?

• Some of the CDs I ripped by Kodi turned out to have colons in the filenames. As I was running LibreELEC on my media centre and the computer I was using to edit the tags (puddletag) was also running Linux (OpenSUSE 13.2) this was never a problem, so I continued the use of this file naming convention and now have several thousand files and folders with colons in their names.

An upgrade to OpenSUSE Leap 42.2 on the computer used to access the media centre has caused a problem and any folder with a colon in its name renders the files within it invisible. Puddletag's window is also blank. I assume this is due to a change in the version of Samba, such that mounting via CIFS now prohibits illegal characters in the Windows file system. I have tried mounting with the mapchars option, but this had no effect.

Short of changing every colon in every folder and filename on the system, it seems to me the only option is to install an NFS server in LibreELEC, unless there is a tag editor add-on for Kodi. An add-on would be far simpler to administer as it does not require the creation of a special version of LibreELEC which would need to be done at every upgrade. It would also mean tag editing could be done directly in the media centre, without the need to mount the drive on a separate computer. I have searched all the add-ons but have not found a tag editor other than a few for a Windows OS.

I would be most grateful if anybody could possibly point me in the right direction, if such a solution exists.

• Official Post

Have a look at MusicBrainz 'Pickard' .. it's much (much) more than a tag editor, but if you want to cure a whole bunch of other tagging related things that you're probably unaware of in your library and ensure your media scrapes correctly it's the best option.

• Have a look at MusicBrainz 'Pickard' .. it's much (much) more than a tag editor, but if you want to cure a whole bunch of other tagging related things that you're probably unaware of in your library and ensure your media scrapes correctly it's the best option.

Thanks for your very swift response, chewitt. The MusicBrainz scraper looks promising, although I have not yet found the add-on in the repos! Unfortunately all these scrapers are very limited in their configuration and as the great majority of my music library is classical, the results from online scrapers need a great deal of editing. I easily installed Picard on my OpenSUSE computer - it's in the repos - so I have been looking at the system on that computer. However, as far as I can see, I need it on the LibreELEC media centre itself if I am to overcome the Samba limitation. The alternative, I think, would be to add NFS server capability to LibreELEC.