Comparing 1080 v 4K on 1080P TV

• Just wondering if anyone had compared the picture quality when using a Wetek Play 2 running LibreELEC to play 1080P v 4K versions of the same movie on a 1080P TV if that make sense

• Official Post

That means comparing video quality between two or more different TVs. It will probably differ all the time, because of different screen panels, different image processing, differences in video ripping... Meaning a different outcome for each TV.

• That means comparing video quality between two or more different TVs. It will probably differ all the time, because of different screen panels, different image processing, differences in video ripping... Meaning a different outcome for each TV.

No i mean playing back on the same 1080P TV

• So it's about downscaling?

I guess so, I was just wondering if the 1080P natural picture differed from the 4k picture after going throuhg the Play 2 and which looked best.

i wondered if the 4K would look much different (the short samples i have tried look very good)

• Depends on your 4k Material...

If the 4k is 4:2:0 (colorspace) downscaling to HD could look better because the colorspace stays at 4:2:0 so there is only one conversion stage (resolution).

HD mostly is 4:2:2 (avc) so if the source is 4k 4.2.0 you have two conversion stages here (resolution and colorspace)

The best quality you get is input= output as soon as you use upscaling or downscaling you get less quality out of it. In most cases.

It might look more crispy to your eyes but, in the end it is pretty much to what YOU prefer.

Regards
    Nicolas

Edited once, last by Nicolas (May 3, 2017 at 3:25 PM).