Should i wait for s912 compatibility? Or just buy a s905(x) box?

• Hi LibreELEC community,

As the title already says... What´s the best move to make currently? Should i wait for s912 development to complete. or is it wiser to buy a s905(x) box to run LibreELEC? I want the box to run both android and LibreELEC and it seems like, some of the newer s912 boards/boxes have a slight edge over the older ones. I know LibreELEC only needs 1gb of ram to run smooth like butter, but android needs more horsepower (in my opinion) to run the way i like it to run. Smooth gui and snappy performance are important to me, because i just spent 2 years using an old rockchip 1gb device (which still works btw).

A box with 3gb of ram and enough storage would really be great, and something that can run even the heaviest libreELEC skins without any problems.

What´s wisest to do? :huh: :huh: :huh:

(P.S.) I don´t want to spend a fortune on the thing max 70 to 80 euro´s...

Thanks in advance! :cool:

• S905 is playing safe, S912 much better but unknown future. Your call.

Στάλθηκε από το Moto G 2014 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

• From START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box

Is it 'wisest' to ignore that? It's up to you.
    Sticking 'S912' in the search box of that thread will give you more info to make a decision.
    I'd only buy an S912 to play with at the moment.

Thanks i know that thread very well... My current box is an older rockchip box with 1gb by a famous Chinese brand, and was actually cheaper at the time a bought it than it is right now (like 50 Euros/54.45 dollars). That same brand is now sponsoring kodi development actually, but they also started out as ¨cheap¨ so the thread always makes me wonder. I do understand there´s things like firmware support etc to hold on to, but even the box i have had firmware support up to a certain point, and that support gradually went away with the release of newer boxes. So my best bet is to get a box/board which has the specs i need, but also custom firmware support though places like freaktab etc... My biggest concern apart from having a good android experience, is actually running Libre smoothly like skins responding snappy and artwork loading quickly etc....

• currently i would go with S905 or S905x, it doesn't make sense to buy a s912 with crappy driver support currently, it has lots of bugs, so better wait another 6-12 months then maybe S912 will be good.

• My biggest concern apart from having a good android experience, is actually running Libre smoothly...

I don't understand why you'd even consider S912 at the moment tbh then.
    thread-5848.html

kszaq Wrote: WARNING!!!If you consider buying a device for LE, do not buy Amlogic S912!

[hr]
    So on the kodi forum wrxtasy is saying 'Don't buy it at all', and here kszaq is saying 'Don't buy it for libreelec.'
    I'd probably go with... oh, I dunno. :huh:

Edit: it's not like these boxes cost a fortune. I have 2, total cost about £60. It's not worth buying something that might be great in a few months.

Edited once, last by trogggy (April 26, 2017 at 2:01 PM).

• I don't use Android on my boxes, cannot comment on Android quality.
    [hr]

Should i wait for s912 development to complete.

It doesn't depend on us - developers. It depends on whether Amlogic decides to license and release Mali lib for Linux.

Edited once, last by kszaq (April 26, 2017 at 2:03 PM).

• I don't use Android on my boxes, cannot comment on Android quality.
    [hr]

It doesn't depend on us - developers. It depends on whether Amlogic decides to license and release Mali lib for Linux.

Thanks for the awesome advice (to all of you) i think i will go for a s905 box/board and see what happens next. :D

I know you can´t give out product links or whatever... But could you recommend a box or board to me? And just PM it to me?

Thanks again!!! :)