Which should I be using?

• How stable must it be (as if that even can be determined) ?

Why not start with the one that is released as official:
    LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-8.0.1.img.gz

If you find a bug, report it on the LE forum.

Was trying to understand the relationship between the two more. Why is it there is a need for community builds?

Would the combined effort on the official build not make more sense.

I am using the official build right now but see more activity going on in the community build.

• Was trying to understand the relationship between the two more. Why is it there is a need for community builds?

Would the combined effort on the official build not make more sense.

I am using the official build right now but see more activity going on in the community build.

The community builds are for generic s905 Android boxes, stick to offical builds if you have the C2. Any sufficient changes with the community build will be merged with the main branch and vice versa.

The community builds are also test builds and usually bleeding edge so may not be best bet for the C2, that being said the builds are solid and many use it as a daily driver.

Edited once, last by JonSnow (April 19, 2017 at 3:23 AM).

• Why do people pimp their cars? .. there's always someone that wants something different.

Unless there is something you really must have that's available in a community build, stick with official.

I get that completely, but i guess what seems missing - and massive apologies if this is somewhere and I didn't find it but - is any detail on what is in the official build and what might be known issues, so that one can then check community builds (and pimp the install) if they are experiencing such an issue.

In my case I bought an Odroid C2 specifically so I could install LE and have a dedicated Kodi box in my setup. I also have Atmos capability and note from 'the' popular community build that Atmos features have recently been fixed. So makes me wonder whether I am getting the best Atmos experience from the official build - or not?

To use your car analogy, I can look at an original car and a pimped car and clearly see the difference, that does not seem to be the case here.

Final note, I am already a huge LE fan, and of the official build, so please take these as constructive and not negative comments!! :)

• Community builds are more bleeding edge and experimental (although curated by competent experimenters) and improvements to straighten things out are achieved by a "two steps forwards, one step backwards" trial and error process. As issues are discovered/fixed/proven, changes are committed back to the common codebase used in official releases and we roll things up into the next maintenance release.

In the case of audio things; current community builds are playing about with a proposed PR on github. This PR is likely to be amended/reworked in the coming week or so based on newly learned things. Then follows more testing.. because we are working from a shitty (inherited) kernel codebase so we are conservative with changes; the more you change the more fugly stuff that surfaces, needing more effort.

• Community builds are more bleeding edge and experimental (although curated by competent experimenters) and improvements to straighten things out are achieved by a "two steps forwards, one step backwards" trial and error process. As issues are discovered/fixed/proven, changes are committed back to the common codebase used in official releases and we roll things up into the next maintenance release.

In the case of audio things; current community builds are playing about with a proposed PR on github. This PR is likely to be amended/reworked in the coming week or so based on newly learned things. Then follows more testing.. because we are working from a shitty (inherited) kernel codebase so we are conservative with changes; the more you change the more fugly stuff that surfaces, needing more effort.

Thanks for taking the time to reply - makes more sense now :cool:

I'll stick with the official build for now as actually I don't seem to have any real problems, some minor annoyances but that is partly with the other kit I am working with, i.e. projector, amp etc, rather than LE itself.