how to tell which mxq i have ....

• Hey guys im running LibreELEC on my htpc and i love it . id like to run it on my mxq box also the only problem is i cant get my mxq box to boot any of the images for an mxq box. Some have said use the amlogic burning tool but i want to make sure i have the correct image. is there any way to verify it by sight like taking it apart and reading the board ? when i try the tooth pic method i get the android guy with a red triangle over him. if i try to boot into recovery with no sd card in i get the same thing. no matter how long i hold the toothpick any advise would be greatly appreciated. Great project here by the way htpc works like a champ.

• Open up the box and look at the board there should be a model number on there then google it for specs. I used cpuz as well to check cpu, gpu etc.. just to double make sure I had the right image. Be careful Some boxes aren't what they say they are.

• I'm fairly new to modding android boxes as such only own 2 box's neither are the mxq. Therefore I am unable to answer your last question, sorry. Good luck with you box.

• Teachme,

I'm not sure what box you have either. What I can tell you is that the process should be rather painless.

Download the 8.01x (x = whatever is newest) and then download a bunch of the device trees for both the 905 and 905X varieties. Look at the memory of your box and the speed of the connection to 'best guess' which to try first.

Burn the image to a fast SD card and copy 1 device tree to the root directory after renaming it dtb.img.
    If you are a Windows user, use either Rufus or Win32DiskImager to burn the image to the SD card.

Unplug the power from your box. Insert the SD card. Insert a toothpick (I use a cut off QTip to get better contact) into the AV slot until you feel/hear the click of the reset button; if you have an external reset button, just hold that. Continue to hold the reset button down and plug the power back in. When the LibreElec logo appears, release the reset button.

Hopefully you will have chosen the right device tree to rename to dtb.img and be done.

Otherwise, see what works and what doesn't. You should get a boot - the device tree controls networking, etc.

If you don't have networking or 'it doesn't work', try another image.

My friend bought a QBox after using mine. Mine is a S905; his QBox is an S905X (even though the ad said S905). This means he used a completely different device tree; once he switched to a 905X version to match the memory, he was up and running.

You won't hurt your box trying different dtb.img files - just find one that (hopefully) works. You don't have to reburn the SD card; just copy over the old dtb.img with the new candidate.

If it isn't booting, it likely means you aren't holding down the reset switch or holding it down long enough.

Once you remove the SD card, the machine will be as it was before and boot into Android. The next time you install the SD card, however, you won't have to hold the reset switch down.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Andrew