NTFS or ext4?

• Hey guys,

I have a SanDisk Extreme connected to my S905X box running Libreelec and I'm not sure which filesystem I should use to get the best results. I need to write files bigger than 4GB so FAT is out of the equation. Should I go NTFS or ext4? And if I go the ext4 way, what's the best way to format it on a Mac? I can also run Windows if that's a better option.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: I can also format it directly in Libreelec or using SSH if it's possible. I'd just need help on how to do it.

Edited once, last by dastinger (March 27, 2017 at 6:38 PM).

• Use exfat or ext4.

Exfat will be easier as it's supported in osx and windows as well.

Thank you!

I asked because I'm having issues that I didn't have before. The drive worked great. I could write at speeds as fast as 10MB/s (download) while reading 1080p + DD/DTS. But since yesterday, download happens in bursts. It's either top speed or 0 and it happens in 5 second intervals or less. I tried exFAT and it gave me poor speeds. Got back to ext4 and the speeds are great again but with that issue. I honestly don't know what to do.

Could a USB drive just break out of nowhere? Maybe that's the issue? If I write directly to the internal memory, speeds are constant.

Any idea?

I don't have any other high speed USB drive to test this or else I would :/