kodi resolution issue

• Hi,

I've recently bought a new 4k TV (LG 55uh605v) and i have a AV receiver which does not support 4k hooked to it.
    This is not a big issue, since i have set the resolution in kodi to 1920x1080.
    I use HDMI CEC to power on the TV and Receiver when i turn on my Lebreelec device, but everytime i do this, my TV wakes up first and sets the res in kodi to 4k (3840x2160)
    My Receiver wakes up last and does not support this res, so i get a message on the TV saying "unknown resolution". I can only change this by sshing into my Libreelec machine and using xrandr to manually change the res. This is quite annoying.
    Is there any way I can set the display res in Kodi fixed so it doesn't change automatically?

Edited once, last by snixel (March 27, 2017 at 11:37 AM).

• You can try putting that xrandr command in the autostart.sh file. Sorry, it's Monday :blush:

Or try getting the EDID off your TV/AVR and store it on the LibreELEC box.

I tried, but from the moment i restart xorg (systemctl start xorg.service) it hangs. Doesnt matter if i copy /etc/X11/xorg-nvidia.conf to /storage/.config/xorg.conf or not I just get X server startup timeout.

systemctl status xorg.service shows the following (++) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg-nvidia.conf"
    Apr 01 14:38:22 Batman xorg-launch[2955]: (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
    Apr 01 14:38:52 Batman xorg-launch[2955]: X server startup timed out (30secs). This indicates anan issue in the server configuration or drivers.

The script throws the same error.
    I'm running an Geforce GTX650Ti and the script detects the gpu as nvidia

• Try enforcing Nvidia's old/legacy driver via SSH, see if that changes anything:

Code
    [code]
    wget http://chewitt.libreelec.tv/96-nvidia.rules -O /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/96-nvidia.rules

[/code]

:heart: Klojum, my hero!!

xorg now starts flawless with the legacy drivers. I extracted the EDID from my AVR and voila, no more resolution switching :D
    Only issue I have now is that when I view videos with a width and height of 1920x1080 pixels and aspect ratio 16:9 (shown in MediaInfo) I get black bars on the right and left. Kodi is set to the same res and aspect ratio and the gui doesnt show these bars.
    I can use the minimize black bars setting in Kodi, but i'm pretty sure before kodi 17 I did not have to do this. Could this be caused by the legacy drivers?

I assume I have to use the legacy drivers from now on or upgrade my gpu? Does the udev rule stay inline or does it get overwritten with every libreelec update?

Thanks again for all your help so far!

• Official Post

4K TV = proper 16:9 afaik, as is 1920x1080. So, black bars should not happen.
    Unless you are viewing video content that is more of the 2:35 : 1 variety, as in a 21:9 aspect ratio. 21:9 normally gives black bars above and below the video.

Try pressing the 'z' key for different zoom options. Also see if the zoom scaling is correct.