Wolfson/Cirrus Logic audio card is now supported in official LibreELEC builds

• Good news, everyone!

I'm happy to announce that we integrated support for the Wolfson and Cirrus Logic cards into LibreELEC. Starting with today's 8.0.1 release these cards will work with official builds.

LibreELEC (Krypton) v8.0.1 MR – LibreELEC

If you've been using my 8.0.0 build just do a manual update to the official 8.0.1 version. This is going to be a seamless update, all your configuration settings will be preserved.

HOW TO:Update LibreELEC - LibreELEC

If you are new to this and do a fresh install with 8.0.1 don't forget to enable the card in config.txt via

Code
    dtoverlay=rpi-cirrus-wm5102

so long,

Hias

• Could I say, in that case, THANK YOU for your hard work in allowing us less brainy people to be able to use our cards.

Without all your hard work and the explanations, I doubt many of us would have got them working.

I suspect I'm not the only one who feels like this either...

:thumbup:

Lozzy_uk

• Hi Hias,

Hope you are well.

I updated to version 8.0.2 and the output to speakers didn't work. I had applied the dtoverlay change in config file and the udevrules to playback to speakers as well and also changed the output to "ALSA...". However, I am not getting output to speakers.

I didn't check from which version I updated.

Since that build did not work, i downloaded 8.0.1 (probably stupid to downgrade) and applied that update. And that didn't work to.

One thing I am seeing missing is, that there are no "playback_to...." files in the /usr/bin/ folder which is referenced in the udevrules.

Can you please advise how to solve this? Am I doing anything wrong?

Cheers

Vijay.

• How did you configure speaker out?

Since version 7.0.3 of my community builds custom configuration is now handled via .config/rpi-cirrus-config.sh. Use the rpi-cirrus-config.sh.sample file from that directory as a template, you only need to un-comment the "playback_to_speakers" line and reboot.

Instead of the old, separate shell-scripts to configure the card helper functions from the /usr/lib/alsa/rpi-cirrus-functions.sh script are now used - this turned out to be more flexible and easier to maintain than the separate scripts.

Also make sure you selected "RPi-Cirrus Analog" as audio output device, "RPi-Cirrus S/PDIF" will only output to S/PDIF and mute all other outputs. "Analog" will output to whatever you have configured in the rpi-cirrus-config.sh script (default is line+headset+spdif out).

so long,

Hias

• Thanks Hias.

That worked.

One more, I had my line-in configured to play on speakers through .sh script and udevrules in old build.

How do I get this to work? Do I need to enable anything else as you advised above?

Cheers

Vijay.

• One more, I had my line-in configured to play on speakers through .sh script and udevrules in old build.

How do I get this to work? Do I need to enable anything else as you advised above?

Add this to the rpi cirrus config script:

Code
    # default input gain +8dB
    setup_line_in 8

# route line in to mixer 2 of speaker-out. 32 means 0dB gain
    set_mixer $speaker_out_signals $line_in_signals 32 2

Adjust the gain settings as you like, but better keep the output gain at 0dB (raw value 32), otherwise you risk clipping.

Some more examples on how to work with the mixer helper functions can be found in the mixer-scripts for raspbian: rpi-cirrus-config/mixer-scripts at master · HiassofT/rpi-cirrus-config · GitHub

so long,

Hias

• Thanks Hias. That worked. Appreciate your help.

Another topic, I wanted to enable Bluetooth audio receiver on RPI 3.

Basically, I want to play Audio from my mobile device to Speakers connected to my Cirrus logic audio card on RPI3.

And in this regards, came across following article. I haven't tried the commands suggested. But any views from you on this article and chances of success.

Pulseaudio - LibreELEC

Cheers

Vijay.

• I haven't used Pulseaudio or Bluetooth audio devices myself yet, so my knowledge in that area is zero.

But lrusak, who wrote that wiki article, is quite experienced in that area, so that information should be accurate.

In that aspect the Wolfson / Cirrus cards work identical to all other ALSA cards, so it's better to post in the General Forum if you have questions about that.

so long,

Hias

• Hi Hias,

being new to all this complicated stuff, I was just able to write the LibreELEC (Krypton) v8.0.1 MR – LibreELEC to a SD card and put it into my RasPi.

Now I can access LibreELEC via my Windows File Manager but I can't start any program / application on it.

Do I need to install anything else just to run the Pi as music server????

Cheers

Det :)

• I recommend that you upgrade to the latest LibreELEC release (currently 8.2.0.1 for RPi), other than that you don't need to install any software/addons - Kodi works fine as a music player.

Also have a look at the Yatse app for Android, it allows you to browse through your music library and start/stop/queue songs from your Android tablet or phone without having to turn on the TV. This is what I'm using here and it works really great.

so long,

Hias

• Hi HiasofT,

I am trying to get my Cirrus Logic card working for use case "LineIn to LineOut" in Libreelec build v 8.2.5. I have created "Listen_to_LineIn_on_LineOut_vk.sh" (see attached) and placed it in "/storage/" path. I have also made necessary changes to 90-wolfson.rules file (see attached) in udev.rules.d folder. However, this setup does not work. I had tried this with "LineIn to Speaker" use case and that was working file.

Please can you let me know why this is not working?

Cheers

Vijay Karas.

LineIn_To_LineOut.zip

• udev rules and separate scripts are the ancient method to configure the card, since LE7 the card is setup via .config/rpi-cirrus-config.sh - see also previous postings in this thread, eg Wolfson/Cirrus Logic audio card is now supported in official LibreELEC builds

Just copy the sample file in the config directory to rpi-cirrus-config.sh and add the following 2 lines

Code
    setup_line_in 8
    set_mixer $line_out_signals $line_in_signals 32 2

so long,

Hias