LE8 Not Booting on Chromebox

• Hi,

I have a HP Chromebox. I have recently attempted to update LibreELEC to version 8.0.0.

Using the GUI within LibreELEC 7.0.3 to manually update to 8.0.0 my Chromebox automatically restarted and I was shown the update progress. This completed 100% then restarted again.

When my Chromebox booted up again the BIOS screen shows version 8.0.0 then just goes to a black screen with the cursor displayed in the middle.

I've tried restarting my Chromebox but I keep getting the same black screen. Kodi will not open up.

Has anybody any ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks.

• I had a similar issue, though it was an ASUS chromebox. I solved it by dropping the update file manually in /storage/.update, and then restarted with a successful boot.

• I had a similar issue, though it was an ASUS chromebox. I solved it by dropping the update file manually in /storage/.update, and then restarted with a successful boot.

Ok I gave this a go but still didn't work.

So at the moment I have no way of updating to the latest version of Kodi. Anybody else have any ideas?

• I would start by updating the UEFI firmware on the device. I completely forget the details of which boxes involved etc. but other reports of blank screens and issues on Chromebox devices have been resolved with an update.

MrChromebox.tech

• I would start by updating the UEFI firmware on the device. I completely forget the details of which boxes involved etc. but other reports of blank screens and issues on Chromebox devices have been resolved with an update.

MrChromebox.tech

Thank you very much for your help.

It was indeed dodgy firmware which has now been updated and I'm now running the latest and greatest version of LE without issue.

• Thank you very much for your help.

It was indeed dodgy firmware which has now been updated and I'm now running the latest and greatest version of LE without issue.

Hi

am in the same boat , tried to update to LE8.01 today - with no luck - the first boot hung on the black screen with just the mouse pointer

was able to build a linux live usb stick (debian) - entered terminal - followed these instructions:

To download and run this script, from a terminal/shell type:

cd; curl -L -O firmware-util.sh && sudo bash firmware-util.sh
    and press enter. (copy/paste to avoid typos - the 2nd curl parameter is a capital O, not a zero)

the question is >>>

did you install the full UEFI firmware ? or did you update legacy ?

if you installed the the UEFI firmware - were you able the then boot the chromebox with the update to LE8.01 Krypton and your configuration was there ?

or do you have to start from a fresh install of LE

look forward to your reply

:huh:

• Update:

tried to just update my existing Legacy seabios firmware - in order to run krypton 8.01 - no luck the same issue

next tried to update the firmware but this time the full UEFI version.

it updated successfully but told me i had to install a new OS -prepped a new Libreelec install disc - presto all worked great.

must say the Libreelec 8.01 krypton boots fast / works great.

:)