LE8 on RPi3 - error playing videos -> Bug?

• Hello forum,

I have huge problems with playing certain files (mp4, flv, mkv, etc), that I have on my drive for some time now.
    Must say in advance, I migrated from RPi2 to the RPi3 and from OE7 to LE8.

I was using OE5 on the RPi2 for a looong time, and all the files in question played very well.
    I then migrated to OE7, but did not play the old files since then. Then another migration to the RPi3.
    Now on the RPi3 I wanted to play some of these old files again and discovered, they where not working anymore. Kodi just showed "Some files did not play blah blah". I thought, well, OE7 seems quite dead, lets go to LE8!

But, alas, same problem.
    I enabled logging and took a look at it and what I found was quite interesting.
    In the same folder where I have some of these old files, there was a leftover RAR file File80.part04.rar, from some time ago.
    It seems when trying to play some videos, Kodi wants to open the part rar file (for what reason I do not know) and when this failes, the video player dies.
    Seems to be some kind of bug hitting OE as well as LE.

Logfiles are here:
    kodi - Pastebin.com

Any ideas on why this might happen?

edit: When I delete/move the rar file(s) the problem is gone and the files play!

Edited once, last by muelli (March 5, 2017 at 5:21 PM).

• Official Post

LE can play media from archives ISO/RAR/Zip etc, and this is what is trying to do - without success!.

[From Kodi Wiki] On the Pi this is now optional (enabled by default), enable or disable with: Settings -> Appearance -> File lists -> Support browsing into archives.

Possible you had set this on your RPi2 and didn't on the RPi3.

• LE can play media from archives ISO/RAR/Zip etc, and this is what is trying to do - without success!.

[From Kodi Wiki] On the Pi this is now optional (enabled by default), enable or disable with: Settings -> Appearance -> File lists -> Support browsing into archives.

Possible you had set this on your RPi2 and didn't on the RPi3.

Funny thing is, I do not come near that archive file. I select my mp4 file to play and it still wants to open that rar archive.

• Kodi will always open every archive file (zip/rar) in the same directory as the video file to look for subtitles.
    Having very large archives in the directory can make kodi very slow and possibly crash.
    Try to keep your directories clean and tidy.