Refresh rate problem after update from Openelec

• First all I want to say thanks to the devs and everyone responsible for LibreELEC. It truly is a fantastic piece of work.

I have just upgraded my Intel NUC D54250WYK from Openelec 7.01 to LibreELEC 8.0. At first glance I thought everything was working perfectly but after playing a couple of video files I noticed a slight judder. I checked the settings menus and I noticed that the refresh rate option was greyed out and set on 30hz. I have the" sync playback to display" option disabled and "adjust display refresh rate" set to "on start/stop".
    This is exactly how it was set previously and it used to switch refresh rate output to match the file being played. My TV is capable of all settings from 23.976 to 60.

Has there been a driver update that has caused this issue? Are there any other settings I should change? Please can someone offer some advice?

• Thanks so much for your help.

I renamed guisettings and rebooted the NUC. It created a new guisettings.xml but that has made no change to the refresh rate options. Do you have any other suggestions?

• Because that has nothing to do with the refresh rate, and probably shouldn't be turned on anyway.

Post the output of xrandr, that should tell you the different refresh rates detected by xorg. If there is only 30Hz, perhaps there was a problem getting the EDID?

• Thanks - I really appreciate your help.
    This is the result of running xrandr via SSH:

Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 32767 x 32767
    DP1 disconnected primary (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    HDMI1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 1280mm x 720mm
    1920x1080i 60.00*+
    HDMI2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Edit - I just tried a clean install to a USB stick and I get exactly the same problem. There must be something incompatible in this release? OpenELEC did not have the same problem.

Edited once, last by duffbeer (March 7, 2017 at 7:04 PM).

• Because that has nothing to do with the refresh rate, and probably shouldn't be turned on anyway.

Post the output of xrandr, that should tell you the different refresh rates detected by xorg. If there is only 30Hz, perhaps there was a problem getting the EDID?

I also tried a fresh install of OpenELEC and the refresh rates are working fine.
    Not sure why LibreELEC behaves differently.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• You could try my extended build, it has an updated graphics driver stack compared to vanilla LE8. It's what I'm using and I have the same NUC as you, no issues.

Thanks escalade. I'll give it a go this evening.

I was just reading about a HDMI CEC bug with LibreELEC 8 and Panasonic Tv's.
    Do you think it could be related to my issue?

Edited once, last by duffbeer (March 9, 2017 at 5:18 AM).

• OK I've been doing some more testing.

I tried escalades extended build but there was no change to my refresh rate issue. I also tried a couple of different Milhouse builds but these are also not working for me.
    Next I tried LibreELEC 7.95.2 and 7.95.3 but both of these have the same issue as 8.0. Then I tried LibreELEC 7.0.3 beta and this works fine - as does OpenELEC 7.0.

I have read a few threads where others are having HDMI related issues so I thought I would try connecting the NUC directly to my TV rather than looping the HDMI through my Yamaha receiver. This works perfectly with all the LE 8.0 and also escalades build. So the issue seems to be every build of LibreELEC with Kodi 17.

I have created a custom xorg.conf file as detailed in the wiki page and this means I now have a couple more refresh rates available but it does not have all the modes that I need so this is only a temporary fix as far as I'm concerned.

I really like Kodi 17 and the new Estuary skin so I don't want to go back to the older versions.
    Is this issue likely to be resolved any time soon?

Please can someone give me some info??

• If 7.0 is working for you then use that, connect directly to your TV and grab your edid info into a file. There's info on the wiki on how to do this and then apply it on boot with 8.0.

• You are not alone.

I'm having that same issue with my nuc->Yamaha avr->optima projector setup.
    When booted the refresh rate always default to 60, however changing between default and HDMI input in the settings menu allows me to choose 23.98.
    Back in the openelec days I solved this issue by sleeping a few secs and then setting the refresh rate manually via the autostart.sh script. However this approach does seem to work anymore with libreelec. Maybe autostart.sh isn't, supported anymore?

This issue really suckz big-time....

• You are not alone.

I'm having that same issue with my nuc->Yamaha avr->optima projector setup.
    When booted the refresh rate always default to 60, however changing between default and HDMI input in the settings menu allows me to choose 23.98.
    Back in the openelec days I solved this issue by sleeping a few secs and then setting the refresh rate manually via the autostart.sh script. However this approach does seem to work anymore with libreelec. Maybe autostart.sh isn't, supported anymore?

This issue really suckz big-time....

Sorry to hear you're having the same problem but it's good to know that I'm not alone.
    The fixes suggested above don't seem to work for me but my temporary solution means I can use Kodi for now.

Let's hope this gets fixed soon as there must be other people affected.