HOw to add a vdr - plugin to LE build?

• ./scripts/create_addon vdr-addon

this is nothing you should do, unexpected things may happen as it takes host stuff into the build

PROJECT=Generic ARCH=x86_64 scripts/create_addon vdr-addon is the correct cmd to build an addon since at least LE7

PROJECT=Generic ARCH=x86_64 is the default and always works for me. I only specify these values when building for non-x86_86 hardware such as arm.

After thinking more about it, I think you are right and I should explicitly specify these values always. Thanks for pointing this out! Maybe I was just lucky that it always worked, but I cannot be sure the correct compiler and linker was used.

• I only specify these values when building for non-x86_86 hardware such as arm.

it is very likely that you leak host system versions and packages if doing so :)

there is no single reason to do it that way besides saving 25 characters typing/pasting :)

btw do not remove the strip stuff from your 8.2 build, there is no proper stripping at LE8.2 - you need to manually enforce it

• it is very likely that you leak host system versions and packages if doing so :)

there is no single reason to do it that way besides saving 25 characters typing/pasting :)

btw do not remove the strip stuff from your 8.2 build, there is no proper stripping at LE8.2 - you need to manually enforce it

Yes, I understand. It could explain that my arm builds are so much more stable than my x86_64 builds :) Big thank you!!!

As for the stripping: I just copied the stuff from the pre-9.x tree and adapted the package.mk files. But it seems that somewhere during the build the debug information got stripped nevertheless. Does not really matter anyway :)

• btw is there some docker or something that allows to test it ?

as far as I understand you need other "infrastructure" too to make it work, I like to test it and ofc document

What do you mean? The vdr plugin magicamun is trying to build?

Honestly, I have no idea. I do not use that plugin myself. Following this thread mainly for learning more about the buildsystem. And with your very valuable comment it was already worth it!

• CvH:

for the plugin to make sense - you need to setup epgd -> take a look here.

The daemon needs to be configured to retrieve external epg - TVMovie, epgdata or tvspielfilm (TVMovie and tvsp require a plugin for epgd).

Take a look at vdr-portal - Forum - i also might help via PN.

Once you have the daemon setup and running you need at least one vdr - instance with the plugin configured.

The plugin epg2vdr needs a basic setup like this:

vdr and the plugin feed DVB-Epg into the Database and the Daemon mixes/matches external EPG with the DVB-Epg. Daemon has additional features like search-timers.

• I find vdr much less messy than tvheadend

Depends, channel list is ofc superb if you just have an plaintext file, everything else is brain melting at vdr.

Its software from 2005 that hasn't got updated to the current needs. The eco system is full of old or abandoned plugins and another problems. Why is there for example the sat>ip, iptv, ... function an plugin and not an core component ?

Btw just search for VDR sourcecode at an git/svn/cvs repo ... , yea ofc why should any dev need something like an version control :dodgy:.

There is not everything gold at Tvh, ofc but it just works, gets proper developed and has a ton of functions and is an feature complete replacement of VDR (server side). And I guess the most single pro is a good working web admin interface.

Those crap like this plugin here is just an workaround of a function that should be core VDR - only that plugin has more dependencies as whole Tvh :D (mysql server including). The other existing web frontends are java !!!! JAVA!!!! based .... yea even more crap you have to install.

for the plugin to make sense - you need to setup epgd -> take a look here.

thx I try to setup something to a proper test

• There is not everything gold at Tvh, ofc but it just works, gets proper developed and has a ton of functions and is an feature complete replacement of VDR (server side). And I guess the most single pro is a good working web admin interface.

Probably you are right, and I'm biased here. I did set up Tvh two or three times and the web interface has been driving me crazy. But it's probably just me not understanding how it is supposed to get used :)

But I do not use any advanced or sophisticated features, so going with vdr is just straight forward for me. Might change in the future of course.

• I have tried (a few times) to get tvh up and running - i got stuck at simple things like channel - list and oscam - neither did i succeed in adding external epg-sources nor did i succeed (or have a clue) how recordings - management works (Preventing vdr from recording episodes more than once - database driven...)

My whole setup is currently based on vdr and migration seems to be horror:

~ 1000+ recordings an 600+ episodes of TV-Shows - all scraped with kodi using pvr: (vdr) as backend. multiple instances of vdr witn a common nfs-share for the recordings. I have no clue of how to migrate that to tvh.

Several vdr's (Server, Living-Room, Bed-Room, ...) I currently do not intend to connect all clients to the server and shutdown the local vdr-instances - at least those still work for watching tv if server is down.... (WAF)

• I did set up Tvh two or three times and the web interface has been driving me crazy

I don't blame you, I got the same experience :D at Tvh 3.2/4.

I nagged them long enough that they included an setup wizard that helps a lot (the number of ppl that can't get it to work has extremely decreased).

Ofc Tvh is still an feature cannon and has enormousness numbers of options, but at default you won't see them (due an added view profile basic/standard/expert). But you can click the features, not search them at configs - that is a major difference for everyone that hasn't learned VDR yet.

I have tried (a few times) to get tvh up and running - i got stuck at simple things like channel - list and oscam - neither did i succeed in adding external epg-sources nor did i succeed

Its very easy, much easier then at VDR, ofc still not that obvious and could be simpler - I won't deny that.

An basic working setup is done incl installing in 1min (time without scanning, it takes time regardless what software) - at every Linux Distro,

and migration seems to be horror:

yes ... don't migrate ... better don't do that xD

ofc there are existing scripts that allows it to workaround but I guess WAF > changing software ;)