LibreELEC ODROID-U2/U3 support

• Hello dear ODROID-U2/U3 users !

I've finally been able to make LibreELEC 8.2.x stable images for ODROID-U2/U3.
    They're available at the usual place: Index of /~fraggle/download/libreelec/Odroid_U2 and can be installed with the LibreELEC graphical installer.
    They come in two flavors: one image for SD-Card, the other for eMMC module, hence the two directories.

Fixed issues:
    - Slowness when watching a video;
    - Installing LibreELEC addons is now possible;
    - Default configuration for the CEC is HDMI port 1. If you want to change it, you'll have to edit /storage/.config/cec-hdmi-port.conf;

- Horizontal synchronization issue that might sometimes divide the screen when using MFC hardware codecs (fixed as of 8.0.2 release).

Known issues:

- Choppiness during videos playback;
    - Version upgrade is not automated and should be done manually (but it's really easy to do).

Stable version:

Version 8.2.2:

- SD image

- SD update tarball

- eMMC image

- eMMC update tarball

Version 8.2.1:

- SD image

- SD update tarball

- eMMC image

- eMMC update tarball

Have fun !

----

Piment Noir - Home - Piment Noir - Problem solver and elitist Art for the masses

Edited 10 times, last by fraggle: New LibreELEC version. (December 27, 2017 at 8:16 PM).

• I've installed LibreElec on an eMMC module with no issue, but I have some trouble with Kodi next.

How do I change the resolution of Kodi? It's greyed out in the system and it's too big a resolution for my TV (I don't see the edge of the interface, for instance the time is cropped out.)

How do I change the time zone?

Thanks!

• I've installed LibreElec on an eMMC module with no issue, but I have some trouble with Kodi next.

How do I change the resolution of Kodi? It's greyed out in the system and it's too big a resolution for my TV (I don't see the edge of the interface, for instance the time is cropped out.)

Most of the time it can be solved by setting up the HDMI port on the TV. For example at home, I changed the default setup to avoid 16:10 format on the HDMI port to just take the original signal without any kind of resizing on the TV side.
    If it's not enough, you can also calibrate the screen in Kodi: System Settings -> Video Output -> Video Calibration.

How do I change the time zone?

Go to System -> Settings -> Appearance -> International and change the timezone as far as I remember. I think the LibreELEC addon might also permit to set the system timezone.

Edited once, last by fraggle (March 4, 2017 at 4:39 PM).

• Hi, I have installed this LibreELEC version on my Odroid U3. So far things work very well. The one exception is that the visualisations in the music add ons, like Shoutcast2 and Radio, do not work. When I try to use them I get a "Can't Load Shared Library". Any thoughts on what is causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks
    Jon
    [hr]
    Not to be a pest but I am also getting a little bit of tearing in the video. It looks like a thin line horizontally across the screen. I read in another forum about this type of problem having something to do with the refresh rate needing to be 60hz rather than 24 or 25 not sure if that is relevant in this case.

Thanks
    Jon

Edited once, last by cy1clown (March 7, 2017 at 9:15 PM).

• All was working well, then I switched the odroid from HDMI 3 to HDMI 1 (changing the config file as required), and now each time I turn off my TV the odroid hangs (still blue light). Where can I find more debugging info?

Edit: the same happens with HDMI 2. The only port with which I have no issue is HDMI 3. And I cannot even decide to not turn on the TV, it will turn on as the odroid boots, and turning it off crashes the odroid.

Edited once, last by brab (March 12, 2017 at 11:47 AM).

• All was working well, then I switched the odroid from HDMI 3 to HDMI 1 (changing the config file as required), and now each time I turn off my TV the odroid hangs (still blue light). Where can I find more debugging info?

Edit: the same happens with HDMI 2. The only port with which I have no issue is HDMI 3. And I cannot even decide to not turn on the TV, it will turn on as the odroid boots, and turning it off crashes the odroid.

You have to change the HDMI port configuration in two locations :

* one in /storage/.config/cec-hdmi-port.conf
    * the other in System -> Settings -> System -> Input Devices -> Peripherals -> CEC adapter
    The two configurations must match.

It's not very convenient but it should work.

You can find more information in the kodi log or crash log in /storage/.kodi/temp/
    [hr]

Hi, I have installed this LibreELEC version on my Odroid U3. So far things work very well. The one exception is that the visualisations in the music add ons, like Shoutcast2 and Radio, do not work. When I try to use them I get a "Can't Load Shared Library". Any thoughts on what is causing this and how to fix it?

I'm afraid it's because this build use the imx6 addons repository which do not use X11 for displaying like the odroid current build ...
    Maybe the repository path can be changed after the installation, I'm away from home currently with no way to do a recursive greping on a libreelec odroid box to find it out.
    I must also check which shipped build of libreelec use X11, if no, I will have to build the addons ... (the build process will take ages).

Not to be a pest but I am also getting a little bit of tearing in the video. It looks like a thin line horizontally across the screen. I read in another forum about this type of problem having something to do with the refresh rate needing to be 60hz rather than 24 or 25 not sure if that is relevant in this case.

It's a known issue that is related to the hardware MFC codecs usage. The current refresh rate is at 60Hz and I'm afraid you can't change it.

Edited once, last by fraggle (March 15, 2017 at 9:38 AM).

• That would be great. I really like the LibreELEC on the U3 so far. I am not the most knowledgeable person concerning these devices but am willing to test things out if you need. Just let me know.

Thanks
    Jon

• no prob, just happy that I may still get some mileage out of my U3 :)

The box is up and running. The LibreELEC ODROID U3 images are available online.

Sorry for the downtime.
    [hr]

Hello,can you make a Image for ODROID-X4 ? The SOURCES Odroid XU3 is the same for the XU4 and you cann see the sources for this XU3 on this Page ODROID Forum • View topic - OpenELEC for Odroid-U2/U3/XU3/C1

The portage work to LibreELEC (aka LE) from zalaare's OpenELEC portage on U3 or XU4 is not straightforward, it's a lot of hours to sort out all the relevant patches and packages that will integrate cleanly in LE.
    I was planning to do the XU3 portage since I own the hardware but not right now ...

Edited once, last by fraggle (March 24, 2017 at 9:59 PM).

• Hi, new to Odroid and picked up an old U3.
    With regards to installing this:
    I have to download these 4 files?

LibreELEC-Odroid_U2.arm-8.0.0.kernel
    LibreELEC-Odroid_U2.arm-8.0.0.system
    LibreELEC-Odroid_U2.arm-8.0.0.tar
    libreelec-7.90.010-odroid-u2.img.zip

Flash the img onto the emmc module using Libreelec sd writer, then put the tar in the update folder and manually update?
    What do I do with the .system and .kernel files?
    Sorry only used Rpi's before.

• The only file you need to download for a fresh install is LibreELEC-Odroid_U2.arm-8.0.0.img.gz in the eMMC folder for an eMMC install or in the SD folder for a SD card install.
    Then you use the LE graphical installer to install it on the destination of your choice.

The .tar file is for updating an already installed ODROID-U3 box and the others for developers.

Edited once, last by fraggle (March 25, 2017 at 10:32 AM).