Few problems with LE 8 on Asus Chromebox

• Was using an old build of LE that included Kodi 16.? and everything was running perfectly. Started using the betas of LE that included Kodi 17 and again, smooth sailing. But after LE 8/Kodi 17 Final, one problem after another.

1) PVR add-on for my HDHR Connect is totally dead. Seems Kodi can't access my HDHR not matter which PVR plugin I use. Setting everything up the same way I did in 16 but no go.
    2) When navigating around in the official Plex app, I get crashes every other day that send me back to the Kodi menu.
    3) Can no longer access my Windows shares. Deleted them all and tried adding them back, just like I added them under LE 6/Kodi 16, and no luck. Network/connection error.
    4) When I go into the LE update section, nothing is there. (Maybe this is normal since there's nothing beyond 8.0/17 Final?)

After all that, I did a totally fresh install of LE 8 Final and same. exact. problems. Is it just me or are other Chromebox users seeing the same problems with LE 8.0 Final?

Guess I'll go back to an older version in the mean time.

EDIT: Or should I be posting these problems on Kodi's forums?

Edited once, last by road hazard (February 26, 2017 at 1:44 AM).

• No debug log demonstrating issues = no problem to investigate.

Sorry, here you go: Ubuntu Pastebin

I did another fresh install of LE 8 and went straight to the add-ons and tried installing the NextPVR client and it appeared to install but gave me an error about how it wasn't installed and then I tried browsing my SMB WORKGROUP and after a minute or two, "error, connection timeout".

• Bump

I've come across more than 1 post about how busted SMB is with LibreELEC. Is this a LE or Kodi problem? I'm sure that SMB works for a lot of people but there are some of us where SMB is completely broke.

I've tried editing the smb.conf file..... adding my server into the hosts.conf file..... adding 139 to the SMB line..... turning MasterBrowser off. Nothing works.

• "SMB" encompasses multiple not-quite-compatible versions of a shitty designed networking protocol that is implemented via a third-part integration library (smbclient) that is wrapped in Kodi code that hasn't seen much love in aeons. Somewhere in that list resides a mess of problems. The current resurgence in reported issues (which may or may not be your issue) is largely due to Microsoft changing things in their SMB server stack. I forget what changed and thus what might be required to coerce things to work again; but it probably involves registry hacking to downgrade features on the Windows end. Best solution is to get a NAS because this will run "Samba" with an older SMB protocol version which is more widely supported (and powered on permanently which solves other silliness) or use NFS on the server side to sidestep SMB completely. Sorry if that sounds a bit shitty-worded, but Windows networking has been a complete turd since Windows '95 and I'm struggling to work up the enthusiasm for it today..

• Sometimes it helps creating new SMB sources via "Add network location..." and filling in network credentials beforehand.
    It seems that browsing Samba networks has its glitches.

Personally I switched over to the NFS network protocol via (Ubuntu) Linux servers. It's a lot less tedious IMO, and... it simply works.

• When adding your SMB share append :445 to the end and it fixes all issues with it.

Before I saw your post, I read that OE released an 8.0 update recently. I installed that and SAMBA access is working perfectly. Since pairing my Fire TV remote to OE/LE is a nightmare, I'll probably stay on OE for the time being. If/when I switch back to LE, I'll try and remember adding 445 to my SMB shares.

Thanks