S905 builds - general discussion

• Hi all

I got 7.0.2.003 to work from external SD. Not sure what (if anything)
    I did wrong yesterday with 7.0.2.002. Fact is, it works today. I did
    pass once via recovery but accidentally booted system without tootpick.
    But next manual tootpick boot worked.

I have a 2GB-RAM/16GB-InternSD MiniMX-G.

Congratulations with generic s905 LE !

few things to mention:

- LE bluetooth settings says it does not find adapter
    - pvr.hts and pvr.mythtv frontend clients work
    (to different HTPC backend on the LAN)
    - tvheadend42 finds DVB-T adapter and TV/Radio Channels, but:
    there are many checksum and continuity errors so no pvr.hts client (including oneself) can receive.
    - 'kszaq LE 7.0.2.003 S905/linux/linux.aarch64.conf' and 'alex OE
    6.95.3.2 Amlogic/devices/MiniMX/linux/linux.aarch64.conf' differ a lot
    (OE seems to have more drivers).

Keep up the good work!

Edited once, last by Nofan Tasi (July 13, 2016 at 6:39 PM).

• - LE bluetooth settings says it does not find adapter

- 'kszaq LE 7.0.2.003 S905/linux/linux.aarch64.conf' and 'alex OE
    6.95.3.2 Amlogic/devices/MiniMX/linux/linux.aarch64.conf' differ a lot
    (OE seems to have more drivers).

disable/enable the bluetooth in settings a few times. Took a few tries then it came alive. To think all this time it was 1 parameter the loader did not like.

kszaq uses a media backport package rather than the in kernel (really old kernel) media drivers so they won't show in the linux.conf. Check the /lib/modules/3.14.29 directories.

+PKG_SITE="https://backports.wiki.kernel.org"
    +PKG_URL="http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/backports/stable/v4.4.2/backports-$PKG_VERSION.tar.xz"

• kszaq, I've just been playing with a couple of Nexbox A95 units and neither one will boot LE from SD.
    I'm not game enough to install to Nand without first checking from SD.

I know there is an issue with the reset switches, so the toothpick method is not going to work but, they do not boot from the SD card even when I reboot to Recovery from Android (the first post suggests that they should). I've tried numerous makes / sizes / formats of SD card.
    These boxes also don't seem to recognise recovery.img on the SD card at all (eg can't boot into TWRP on SD card etc).

Have you heard any other reports about these boxes ?

Edited once, last by Poida (July 13, 2016 at 8:15 PM).

• sorry kszaq i need to report again, in 003, Fonts folder in /storage/.kodi/media still not detecting by kodi

Edited once, last by 2ami (July 13, 2016 at 8:44 PM).

• H264 plays fine until 90-100 Mbps some sample video like Taipei fireworks 100Mbps stops frequently

Well you don't play 100Mbps videos every day, do you?

HEVC and HEVC 10 bit plays very badly (stops every 2seconds)

I can play almost every HEVC test clip I have with no issues. Sample please.

Have you heard any other reports about these boxes ?

I only know that they are very cheap and questionable quality. You may try copying aml_autoscript to a FAT32-formatted pendrive, insert both pendrive and SD card to the box and then try toothpick or recovery method.

sorry kszaq i need to report again, in 003, Fonts folder in /storage/.kodi/userdata/media still not detecting by kodi

This seems to be unrelated to my builds? Does this work in official builds (Generic, RPi)? If it doesn't, you may want to report this in General forum.

• disable/enable the bluetooth in settings a few times. Took a few tries then it came alive. To think all this time it was 1 parameter the loader did not like.

kszaq uses a media backport package rather than the in kernel (really old kernel) media drivers so they won't show in the linux.conf. Check the /lib/modules/3.14.29 directories.

+PKG_SITE="https://backports.wiki.kernel.org"
    +PKG_URL="http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/backports/stable/v4.4.2/backports-$PKG_VERSION.tar.xz"

Interesting! Thanks.
    Just curious: where are these PKG_ values specified in build system?

Going to try harder for bluetooth, for now no luck.

About TVheahend. The predifined mux for my area had a few mistakes. It works now without errors.
    I should say: other clients can watch/listen TV/Radio but the LE frontend pvr.hts itself cannot watch/listen the LE tvheadend backend on same machine. But ... such was the case for me for all Kodi tvheadend/pvr.hts pairs on same machine. It's certainly not LE specific.

Edited once, last by Nofan Tasi (July 14, 2016 at 12:43 AM).

• sorry kszaq i need to report again, in 003, Fonts folder in /storage/.kodi/userdata/media still not detecting by kodi

This seems to be unrelated to my builds? Does this work in official builds (Generic, RPi)? If it doesn't, you may want to report this in General forum.
    [/quote]

i've updated my post it actually in /storage/.kodi/media/Fonts
    thank you for direction, i will report it in general

• Few test on build 003

TrueHD = Working
    DTS-HD = Working
    CanalPlus_UHD_Astra = Black Screen, but get audio.
    2013 Taipei fireworks = Buffering from nfs share, plays fine locally. My MXQ has 100mbps LAN port so its a hardware limitation.

Issues with 003 with wifi turned off:
    Power off from Kodi Menu = No HDMI, need to pull power to start it again.
    Build 002 turned the box off properly so that it could be turned back on from the remote.

Reboot = No HDMI, need to pull power to start it again.
    Build 002 worked perfectly

Press Power button on remote with box on = No HDMI, need to pull power to start it again.
    With build 002 if I waited 30 seconds HDMI signal would be restored and the box worked.

My MXQ has a C processor.
    Revision: 02c
    YAY!!!

Will further test memory over the next few days.

Edited once, last by JonSnow (July 14, 2016 at 2:04 AM).

• nobody reports vp9, did you tried yet? i'm planning to pourchase rev C for furure proof :)

• nobody reports vp9, did you tried yet? i'm planning to pourchase rev C for furure proof

Isnt VP9 only supported on s905X?

Anyways I downloaded Eye of the Storm from youtube (kodi wiki only has youtube links) using an online site and it seems to play fine. I'm not sure if the site changed the format when it downloaded it.

Edited once, last by JonSnow (July 14, 2016 at 3:02 AM).

• Isnt VP9 only supported on s905X?

Anyways I downloaded Eye of the Storm from youtube (kodi wiki only has youtube links) using an online site and it seems to play fine. I'm not sure if the site changed the format when it downloaded it.

oo ok, thanks for the info then i will wait for s905x :)

• Will need to test further but i think 003 has audio sync issues as well. After watching a few videos my ram is now at 54% used from 23% on boot.

Kszaq another question do you know of a way to turn off the led light? You don't have to include it in your build just point me in the right direction.

Edited once, last by JonSnow (July 14, 2016 at 5:11 AM).

• jellyfish-140-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv on my NEXBOX ultra cheap box. Note: the media must be local as the ethernet will not keep up.

That's interesting.
    I can play perfectly only the jellyfish-30-mpbs-hevc.mkv and jellyfish-110-mbps-h264.mkv but not the higher bandwidth files without stuttering.
    I play the files from USB HDD (WD 2TB).
    What could be the reason?

Edited once, last by Pelican (July 14, 2016 at 8:55 AM).