Limited Display Modes/No Sound

• I'm setting up a new NUC7i3BNH with LibreElec 7.95.3 with a Samsung Smart TV 4k model UN55KU6300F and having some problems with limited display depths and absolutely no sound for videos or UI noises.

When connected to the Samsung 4k tv, I get the following display depths only:
    1024x768 60.00*
    800x600 60.32 56.25
    848x480 60.00
    640x480 59.94

When connected to a Dell UltraSharp U3415W that I use on my primary desktop, I'm able to go all the way from 640x480 to 4k native resolutions with sound working correctly for videos as well as nominal system ui sounds.

I've ordered a USB-C->HDMI active display adapter just in case, but if anyone might be able to help me figure out why my tv isn't working with LibreElec and the NUC, I'd greatly appreciate it! Also, let me know of any specific logging info that might help!

dmesg output: aAFW
    xrandr output: PHTf
    xrandr verbose output: CRVX

Edited once, last by showersja (February 17, 2017 at 1:03 AM).

• I'm by no means a video expert, but the dmesg report does show a EDID problem. A handshake that does not go well resulting in a limited set of resolutions. Also the lack of sound is a little weird.
    So starting with the bloody obvious, but perhaps you powered on the NUC first, and then the TV ?
    Or maybe you can try a different HDMI cable? Most cables should be fine, but some cables are different from others.

I have no idea how the USB-C->HDMI active display adapter and LibreELEC will react to eachother.
    We're all still a bit at a learning stage, with the latest new hardware and Linux (video) drivers catching up.

Alternatively, try upgrading to the latest Generic Milhouse build (it has the latest Linux kernel), and see if that has a better outcome. Forum thread is here.

Edited once, last by Klojum (February 17, 2017 at 3:17 AM).

• I'm by no means a video expert, but the dmesg report does show a EDID problem. A handshake that does not go well resulting in a limited set of resolutions. Also the lack of sound is a little weird.
    So starting with the bloody obvious, but perhaps you powered on the NUC first, and then the TV ?
    Or maybe you can try a different HDMI cable? Most cables should be fine, but some cables are different from others.

I have no idea how the USB-C->HDMI active display adapter and LibreELEC will react to eachother.
    We're all still a bit at a learning stage, with the latest new hardware and Linux (video) drivers catching up.

Alternatively, try upgrading to the latest Generic Milhouse build (it has the latest Linux kernel), and see if that has a better outcome. Forum thread is here.

I'm definitely not a video expert either! My usual usage of linux is using command line on servers.

The TV was powered on before the NUC. The TV did state that it was searching for a signal from the NUC for a lengthy amount of time during the bootup process tho.

I may have confused the topic a little by referring to the form factor of the mini DisplayPort on the NUC7's. The newer (6th and 7th Gen, at least) NUC's basically chain their HDMI off of the DisplayPort, so I'm hoping to see if moving up the chain might help. And at $20, I would consider it a cheap fix if it works.

I'll be sure to post an update on how the DisplayPort move and/or Milhouse install go. Thanks for the tip!