[SOLVED] Kodi UI calibrated to my TV, but the video player interface doesn't resize

• How do I force the video player interface to adhere to the same calibration/size that I have manually set for the Kodi user interface?

Let me explain...

1. I have calibrated the screen size in Kodi, so that the user interface aligns with the TV's actual size. In other words, there aren't any pixels rendered "outside" the visible area of the TV screen. Initially, the Kodi interface was "too big", but through calibration I resized it to display correctly. tSo when browsing/using Kodi, menus, media, list, etc. everything is displayed as desired. So far, so good.

BUT!

2. When I play a movie, video clip or TV channel the video player interface exceeds the size of my TV screen, just as the Kodi interface did before I calibrated it. The video player simply does not adhere to the defined calibration. Exiting to Kodi itself yields the correct size of the Kodi menus, etc. Only the video player interface is staying at its fixed proportions.

How can I control and calibrate the size of the video player interface?

The problem persists across five separate Kodi boxes and across both version 7 and 7.95betas.

Thanks.

Edited once, last by fxfxfx (February 9, 2017 at 11:53 AM).

• 2. When I play a movie, video clip or TV channel the video player interface exceeds the size of my TV screen, just as the Kodi interface did before I calibrated it. The video player simply does not adhere to the defined calibration. Exiting to Kodi itself yields the correct size of the Kodi menus, etc. Only the video player interface is staying at its fixed proportions.

How can I control and calibrate the size of the video player interface?

If the video player is using a different frame-rate to the UI (check video player settings) then you either need to use the settings to calibrate for the different framerates, or prevent the framerate from changing, or you need to run the calibration from the playing video screen (pop up the media controls and video calibration is down the video processing options menu).

I know that the recommendation is always to set the TV to "just scan" but plenty of older TVs don't have that option.

• Typically you want to avoid using the kodi screen calibration.

You really want to try and set your TV picture mode to "just scan, 16:9, wide mode, etc" This will fix it all around.

Unfortunately, my TV doesn't offer access to this setting. Been rummaging through the menus like a madman. No luck. Sounds like it is an easy fix for those with that option available, though. I will try it at family members' TV and their LibreElec boxes. But, at the moment I cannot confirm this solution. Luckily, I had success with the alternative solution offered by S80_UK.
    [hr]

If the video player is using a different frame-rate to the UI (check video player settings) then you either need to use the settings to calibrate for the different framerates, or prevent the framerate from changing, or you need to run the calibration from the playing video screen (pop up the media controls and video calibration is down the video processing options menu).

I know that the recommendation is always to set the TV to "just scan" but plenty of older TVs don't have that option.

Thanks for chiming in. And you are right, indeed; my TV doesn't offer the option of enabling "just scan" or manually setting it to 16:9 or similar.

I've been looking for this (now painfully obvious) solution every now and then since august and intensively the last 2½ weeks. Thought I missed out on some Kodi lingo, since I couldn't google the answer. I'm relieved and embarrassed to learn that I can simply calibrate from within the player interface by accessing the settings - which I needed to do (once) for each change of frame rate (media, live TV, etc). Lovely. It works now.

A daily 'bug' in enjoying media - and an unjust and negative perception of Kodi in this matter - has finally been laid to rest on my part. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.

Edited once, last by fxfxfx (February 9, 2017 at 11:44 AM).

• Unfortunately, my TV doesn't offer access to this setting. Been rummaging through the menus like a madman. No luck. Sounds like it is an easy fix for those with that option available, though. I will try it at family members' TV and their LibreElec boxes. But, at the moment I cannot confirm this solution. Luckily, I had success with the alternative solution offered by S80_UK.
    [hr]

Thanks for chiming in. And you are right, indeed; my TV doesn't offer the option of enabling "just scan" or manually setting it to 16:9 or similar.

I've been looking for this (now painfully obvious) solution every now and then since august and intensively the last 2½ weeks. Thought I missed out on some Kodi lingo, since I couldn't google the answer. I'm relieved and embarrassed to learn that I can simply calibrate from within the player interface by accessing the settings - which I needed to do (once) for each change of frame rate (media, live TV, etc). Lovely. It works now.

A daily 'bug' in enjoying media - and an unjust and negative perception of Kodi in this matter - has finally been laid to rest on my part. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.

You're welcome. :rolleyes:
    I'm a long time user (since XBMC on Apple TV, 1st gen, around 2009), so been there, done that, etc. My Panasonic 37 inch plasma from 2007 refuses to die, and still gives a great picture. Something to do with the fact that in those days Panasonic put slow running fans in the chassis so that the electronics and panel remain cool.

Edited once, last by S80_UK (February 9, 2017 at 1:25 PM).

• If "adjust display to match refresh rate" is enabled you will need to Calibrate 60Hz, 50Hz, 23.98Hz (23.976) etc. by manually switching Kodi to that resolution and Calibrating. It is not an intuitive process so most people Calibrate the default GUI frame rate (60Hz) and then wonder why their DVD at 23.976Hz doesn't reflect their changes.

• If "adjust display to match refresh rate" is enabled you will need to Calibrate 60Hz, 50Hz, 23.98Hz (23.976) etc. by manually switching Kodi to that resolution and Calibrating. It is not an intuitive process so most people Calibrate the default GUI frame rate (60Hz) and then wonder why their DVD at 23.976Hz doesn't reflect their changes.

If I disable "adjust display to match refresh rate" and calibrate the Kodi UI @60Hz, will DVDs @23.976Hz still be displayed correctly - and with the calibrated "universal" size?

If so, that would probably be the easiest solution for the majority of future post readers.

Edited once, last by fxfxfx (February 9, 2017 at 6:01 PM).