Sluggish menus on v7.95.1 BETA with Intel graphics

• Hi,

Upgrading from LibreELEC v7.90.010 ALPHA to v7.95.1 BETA have resulted in sluggish menus on my Intel Compute Stick STK1A32SC (Cherry Trail / x5-Z8330). I also have a couple of Intel NUCs running LibreELEC 7.90.010, but I haven't tested the update on these yet.

On 7.90.010 window transitions are very smooth and good-looking, while they are cleary more sluggish on 7.95.1.

I can see in the commit list that there's been a change from DRI3 to DRI2 by default for ATI and Intel.

I have not experienced any graphical issues with Intel and the LibreELEC 8.0 Alpha releases, so this change is a major regression for me.

Is there any pretty/easy way to force the use of DRI3 at runtime in LibreELEC? Temporarily for testing and/or permanently, if DRI2 will remain the default for newer Intel HW on the final release of LibreELEC 8?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards
    Kenni

• Make an xorg.conf file in /storage/.config/ with this content :

Code
    Section "Device"
      Identifier  "Device0"
      Driver      "intel"
      VendorName  "INTEL Corporation"
      Option "TripleBuffer" "false"
      Option "TearFree" "false"
      Option "DRI" "3"
    EndSection

TripleBuffer and TearFree options settings are up to you. Better having them set to false for Kodi.

Edited once, last by ozolli (January 29, 2017 at 5:14 PM).

Code
    Section "Device"
      Identifier  "Device0"
      Driver      "intel"
      Option "DRI" "3"
    EndSection

TripleBuffer and TearFree options settings are up to you. Better having them set to false for Kodi.

hi i have tried this on my nuc6cays and cant see any difference is there anything else i need to do to get this working as the menus are still sluggish
    thanks

• Weird, it works perfectly fine here with the xorg.conf file above and LE 8.0.

I recorded two 240fps videos last week to illustrate the difference and posted them here:
    Intel Apollo Lake

As a response to my feedback, the Kodi developer fritsch created a custom build of his HEVC 10bit LibreELEC build with DRI3 enabled and the latest version of Mesa. On my NUCs, this works just as good as stock LE 8.0 + custom xorg.conf file.

You can try this build, as it has DRI3 enabled by default and hence doesn't need any custom xorg.conf file:
    Index of /openelec/hevc10/dri3

Just remove your custom xorg.conf file, download the file LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.0-dri3.tar into /storage/.update and reboot your system.
    [hr]
    Btw, have you configured your GUI to run in 60Hz? If you choose something lower, you will most likely experience that the menus feel sluggish, but that has nothing to do with DRI3 :)

Edited once, last by Kenni (March 3, 2017 at 10:17 AM).

• Weird, it works perfectly fine here with the xorg.conf file above and LE 8.0.

I recorded two 240fps videos last week to illustrate the difference and posted them here:
    Intel Apollo Lake

As a response to my feedback, the Kodi developer fritsch created a custom build of his HEVC 10bit LibreELEC build with DRI3 enabled and the latest version of Mesa. On my NUCs, this works just as good as stock LE 8.0 + custom xorg.conf file.

You can try this build, as it has DRI3 enabled by default and hence doesn't need any custom xorg.conf file:
    Index of /openelec/hevc10/dri3

Just remove your custom xorg.conf file, download the file LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.0-dri3.tar into /storage/.update and reboot your system.
    [hr]
    Btw, have you configured your GUI to run in 60Hz? If you choose something lower, you will most likely experience that the menus feel sluggish, but that has nothing to do with DRI3 :)

yes replied to you on the other thread im pretty sure its not a dri issue now as i went back to the alpha build you were originally using and menus are the same sluggish on that build also.
    using my chromebox and the menus are butter smooth maybe a driver/firmware update will sort it but have turned sliding off for now and its better im thinking as its so new then futher development will sort it out.

Code
    Section "Device"
      Identifier  "Device0"
      Driver      "intel"
      Option "DRI" "3"
    EndSection

DRI3 caused a problem during screen resolution change to 2160p.
    Kodi menu smooth, resolution change solved with this config:

Code
    Section "Device"
       Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
       Driver      "modesetting"
    EndSection

Edited once, last by czombos (May 20, 2017 at 10:43 PM).