USB IR receiver

• Hello,

I am looking for a cheap but working USB IR receiver. All I want to do is learning commands with lirc. I want to use a remote I already have - or lets say it that way: The commands from this remote already learned into my Logitech Harmony.

My first tries where two of these devices: IR Infrarot Fernbedienung Extender Repeater Emitter Empfänger USB Adapter AC432

Both were sent back because nothing happened. Not only on my two LibreELEC boxes (lsusb did not show anything) but also on two other Linux machines and two Windows machines. It was like nothing was plugged into the USB port at all.

Did a search here in the forum and also on Google but nothing interesting showed.

So thank you for a little hint,

cheers,
    Roi

• Ok, FLIRC is there. And it is recognized by Linux and I also see it in /proc/bus/input/devices and the device is available at /dev/input/event4 - so far so great! :)

But I'm stuck now... How can I set it up on a LibreELEC box?

I saw some threads and links weeks ago when I tried to get a different USB IR receiver up and running, but now I do not find anything. I still remember that lirc needs to be stopped and then a lircd.conf needs to be created and the remote needs to be learned.

vitorp07 wrote something about an app? Also on a LibreELEC box? I saw some software on the FLIRC website, but also available for LibreELEC?

Cheers,
    Roi

• Ok, FLIRC is there. And it is recognized by Linux and I also see it in /proc/bus/input/devices and the device is available at /dev/input/event4 - so far so great! :)

But I'm stuck now... How can I set it up on a LibreELEC box?

I saw some threads and links weeks ago when I tried to get a different USB IR receiver up and running, but now I do not find anything. I still remember that lirc needs to be stopped and then a lircd.conf needs to be created and the remote needs to be learned.

vitorp07 wrote something about an app? Also on a LibreELEC box? I saw some software on the FLIRC website, but also available for LibreELEC?

Cheers,
    Roi

If possible install the app on another machine, configure the USB dongle the way you want with your remote, then plug the USB dongle to your LibreELEC machine and you can finalize key mapping with something like Keymap editor if needed.
    You can also try the Flirc addon.

Edited once, last by vitorp07 (February 2, 2017 at 8:54 PM).

• Thank you very much for the hints and sorry, that I reply that late. I forgot to bookmark this thread.

It worked with installing the app onto a different (Debian Linux) machine. There I was able to setup the stick and it works. :) The Kodi FLIRC addon did not work on the latest Beta of LE, these is just a bright blue screen and sometimes it is possible to see some buttons when hovering with the mouse over these buttons. But only sometimes. Also it flips from connected to disconnected all the time. Strange.

• Thank you very much for the hints and sorry, that I reply that late. I forgot to bookmark this thread.

It worked with installing the app onto a different (Debian Linux) machine. There I was able to setup the stick and it works. :) The Kodi FLIRC addon did not work on the latest Beta of LE, these is just a bright blue screen and sometimes it is possible to see some buttons when hovering with the mouse over these buttons. But only sometimes. Also it flips from connected to disconnected all the time. Strange.

The addon is not a necessity but i downloaded the source and will look up what i can do to make it work.
    Will report here if i find something.

• It would be great if you can take a look at it. But as you said, it is not necessary to get the FLIRC stick up and running. On the other side it is not good that the official addon for Kodi is not working anymore.

• The product on your original post seems to be an IR Repeater.

It can be used to receive an IR command and resend it on emitter in the end of the wire.

The USB is only for power so its the reason it does not register as a USB device.