Strange 24p stuttering

• Hi everyone! I'm getting some strange stuttering when playing 24p(23.976) videos. It only occurres every minute or so but not regularly. I've heard that if a video is played at 23.976 fps but the display is showing 24 fps it will skip a frame every 30 or 40 seconds which could be it but because I can't clock it I don't think it is.
    I have "adjust display refresh rate" set to On start / stop. Tried changing some video settings like interlace but nothing seems to help.

Hardware:
    Intel Xeon CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz CPU
    Nvidia GeForce GT 710

Image:
    LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.95.1.img
    (Also tried the 7.0.3 stable version and one of the recent 8.0 milhouse builds with the same results)

Debug log: ################################################################################ - Pastebin.com

I'm running LibreELEC in a VM on my unRAID server. My TV is a newer Samsung model(ue75ks8005) which shouldn't have any problem displaying 24p content correctly and the source information says 1920 x 1080 / 24p on the tv.

Any help is appreciated!

• Some TVs have problem with "3:2 pulldown" other it's "24/48Hz"...
    I see the same problem as you with my Samsung here using Kodi but using a Samsung Blu Ray player (23.976 fps) movies are displayed correctly.
    What i can suggest you is when your TV is switched to 24p mode, go to your TV's menu and try different combinations starting with;
    -Film mode(Cinema smooth/Auto/Off)
    -Motion Judder Canceller(Off/Standard/Smooth)
    If none of those is correcting your problem, like in my case, you can try this below, these are my settings when using LibreELEC/Kodi.

In Kodi;
    -Display - Refresh rate: 60
    -Videos - Adjust display refresh rate: Off
    -Videos - Sync playback to display: Disabled
    -Movie's Video settings - Deinterlaced method: Temporal/Spatial
    -Movie's Video settings - Video scaling method: Auto
    -Movie's Video settings - Post-processing: Enabled
    -Movie's Audio and subtitle settings - Audio offset: 0.000s
    In TV
    Film Mode: Off
    Motion Judder Canceller: Off

With these settings my screen is staying in 60p mode but i have no problem with stuttering, dropped/skipped frames or audio sync.

Edited once, last by vitorp07 (January 25, 2017 at 8:17 PM).

• Thank you very much for your reply! I will definitely try the settings you suggested. I don't know which model of Samsung TV you have but I don't think I have an option for "film mode". I can however choose between "dynamic, standard, movie or natural" is this what you mean?
    Thank you again for taking the time to answer so throughly I really appreciate it!

• Thank you very much for your reply! I will definitely try the settings you suggested. I don't know which model of Samsung TV you have but I don't think I have an option for "film mode". I can however choose between "dynamic, standard, movie or natural" is this what you mean?
    Thank you again for taking the time to answer so throughly I really appreciate it!

I have a Samsung PN60F8500 plasma TV.
    The Film Mode option is in the "picture options" next to the Motion Judder option, but it might be only visible when your screen is in 24p mode and it could also be named differently on your set.

• Just to say that, VMs are for testing purposes only.

Adelpha do you have the chance to install libreelec on any other device natively to see if the problem is your TV or not? It could also be the VM itself.

Edited once, last by DaVu (January 25, 2017 at 10:45 PM).

• I have a Samsung PN60F8500 plasma TV.
    The Film Mode option is in the "picture options" next to the Motion Judder option, but it might be only visible when your screen is in 24p mode and it could also be named differently on your set.

I guess the software is pretty different on my set then. I did try to set everything as close as possible to your settings and also the exact same in kodi but sadly the result where worse than before. Thank you for the suggestion though maybe I'll try to fiddle a bit more on the TV side.

Just to say that, VMs are for testing purposes only.

Adelpha do you have the chance to install libreelec on any other device natively to see if the problem is your TV or not? It could also be the VM itself.

Hello and thank you for your reply! The unraid server software is actually built to be running VMs not only for testing as you now days can passthrough hardware to the vm directly like a GPU for example(which I've done to my LibreELEC vm) so there should not be any major difference as to running the hardware native. Although of course it could be messing something up because of the vm and it has crossed my mind to either try and run LibreELEC of an USB on the same machine or try something like the nvidia shield. I'll probably try running it of an USB this weekend.
    Thank you again for the suggestion!