Issue with Live HD feeds

• Setup: Raspberry Pi 3 running fresh install of LE 7.0.1

Video of problem: i2oe

I seem to have issues with certain HD streams where video will play at 1 frame a second (ish) and there will be no audio at all. The video linked sums it up pretty well but it's not all HD sources, just random ones which leads me to believe an affliction with a certain file type? There is no buffering errors or any error message of any kind at the time. This happens over wifi or Ethernet and the Internet is certainly capable enough at 80mb fibre. I haven't touched any settings or used custom skins etc but really am struggling to think how to solve this one?

Any ideas?

Edited once, last by nickrob84 (May 28, 2016 at 9:17 AM).

• Official Post

If you pop the codec info on the screen (o on a keyboard) bottom-right on the display that appears you'll see the % value for the video cache. If that's at 80-90-100% the stream is healthy. If it's frequently droppping to 0% it's a bandwidth issue. If you have 80Mb fibre the issue is likely to be somewhere upstream from you, but it doesn't matter where. I see this kind of thing frequently.. but I also expect it as most streams arrive though a VPN tunnel to avoid geoblocking.

• Is this what you mean? Taken whilst issue was happening.

ucZtEtS.jpg

I can't make head or tale of it but you probably will. I was hoping that the problem was that the stream was in h265 which isn't RPi3 friendly but that suggests otherwise.

• My mind has been blown by the subject, I understand the above file is used to help streaming video but it's like a minefield trying to find out what all of it means. Is there like a base template I can use with my Raspberry PI 3? Will at least give me the peace of mind that something is there. Very recently developed a buffering / stutter issue when viewing near enough anything be it local / remote or sd / HD. Something has gone wrong somewhere.

Thought I'd give it one last chance before another wipe and reinstall.

• My mind has been blown by the subject, I understand the above file is used to help streaming video but it's like a minefield trying to find out what all of it means. Is there like a base template I can use with my Raspberry PI 3? Will at least give me the peace of mind that something is there. Very recently developed a buffering / stutter issue when viewing near enough anything be it local / remote or sd / HD. Something has gone wrong somewhere.

Thought I'd give it one last chance before another wipe and reinstall.

advancedsettings.xml - Official Kodi Wiki

Does take some time, but slow and steady

• Official Post

I merged this and the advancedsettings.xml thread.

If you are using WiFi you can test with an Ethernet cable and see if the problem goes away. If it does, some cache tweaking (increasing the cache size) can help to smooth out micro gaps when the cache dips to zero for a few milliseconds. If you're not using WiFi and/or Ethernet does not cure the problem it's because the congestion is upstream and you'll see the cache hitting zero for multiple seconds at a time. In that situation it doesn't matter how big you make the cache, it will not fix the problem. The image you shared shows a stream with <1Mb/sec which means the ratio between incoming data and the default cache is already quite good, so I doubt it's a local issue.