Can't build with custom version number

• Hello,

seeing as almost all the active OE developers have switched here I'm thinking of switching to LibreELEC. But I prefer to build OE/LE by myself, to keep on the edge of things, and more importantly to not have a device with a default SSH password in my home. Additionally I give my (personal) builds a much higher version number to prevent an accidental update to a public build.

Now with OE this is not a problem, with LE this fails because it can't download some sources from sources.libreelec.tv. After checking Index of / I found that the OE webserver defaults any download request into the "devel" directory, while LE webserver quits with an 404 error if the requested directory doesn't exist.

Would you be so kind to change the behaviour of the LE webserver to match the OE one?

If not it's no big deal, just means I'll have to patch the buildsystem myself.

Thanks for reading, no matter how you decide.

• Do you really need to custom build? .. You get stronger security (not just obscurity) and easier access if you add your SSH public key to authorized_hosts and disable password auth, and you can also set auto-update to manual and disable update notifications.

I'll have a look at replicating OE's behaviour with some nginx redirect fu on the webserver. Some RTFM is required :)

• Do you really need to custom build? .. You get stronger security (not just obscurity) and easier access if you add your SSH public key to authorized_hosts and disable password auth, and you can also set auto-update to manual and disable update notifications.

I'll have a look at replicating OE's behaviour with some nginx redirect fu on the webserver. Some RTFM is required :)

I'm not a big fan of key based authorization. I prefer strong passwords, IMHO a strong password with a regular change is as (if not even more, think Heartbleed) secure as key based authorization and is less of a hassle when working with different SSH clients on different operating systems.

Additionally with BT on the RPI3 I'll probably turn it into an home automation central, and I don't think you intend to add stuff like this into your official build.

Can't help you with nginx as I'm an apache guy, but thanks for looking into it.