Noob :: Moving from WMC7 :: HW ideas ?

• Hi!

Basically, I'm looking in LibreELEC / Kodi to finally replace my aging Windows 7 Media Center.
    This PC, an Athlon II X4 2.6Mhz with 4Gb of RAM is still working fine. But I know I have some things to fix in it (PSU & GPU) About 100$ to invest, at least.
    The main purpose of this WMC7 was DVR. With 4 ATSC tuners (2 HDHomeRun and 2 Hauppauge).

I was wondering. Is it better to fix and use this PC, or buy on of these little "Android TV box" or NUC ?
    Are these small devices powerful enough to record 4 ATSC streams at once on an external USB drive ?
    And streaming 2 to 3 other devices all at the same time ? (I'm using a Gigabit Wired Network for it).

Any suggestions ?

Thanks!

Edited once, last by esenterre (January 8, 2017 at 12:36 AM).

• I'd run TVHeadend on your Athlon and get a "android tv box" or NUC for the lounge.

By installing TVHeadend on the athlon you're streaming tv from the athlon & recording tv on the athlon.

As for what to buy for the lounge:

Nuc if you want a web browser addon (useful for netflix)
    Raspberry pi if you want stability and support, but no browser or hardware h265 support.
    Amlogic S905 based android box if you want hardware h265 support (also no browser)

• I'd run TVHeadend on your Athlon and get a "android tv box" or NUC for the lounge.

By installing TVHeadend on the athlon you're streaming tv from the athlon & recording tv on the athlon.

As for what to buy for the lounge:

Nuc if you want a web browser addon (useful for netflix)
    Raspberry pi if you want stability and support, but no browser or hardware h265 support.
    Amlogic S905 based android box if you want hardware h265 support (also no browser)

Thanks for your ideas!

I'll probably do something along those lines. Can't the Athlon be good enough to watch TV with it ?
    That's what we're doing right now, but with WMC7. I'll try it anyway.

Anyhow, I have to buy an Android Box for one or two bedrooms. I'll keep note of your specs suggestions!

Thx again!

• I'll probably do something along those lines. Can't the Athlon be good enough to watch TV with it ?

Sorry, that was my own bias towards small form factors & separating clients and servers shining through.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to attempt running LE on the Athlon & running it as your main media pc & tvheadend server.