LIRC remote setup.

• Hi all,
    I am building a stand alone dedicated media player for use in my camper van. Its based upon a salvaged laptop screen, a decoder board and a Pi Zero. Streaming wise it works surprisingly well.
    However I need to get the GPIO IR remote working so that I don't have to buy a USB hub and I still have the USB port left free for memory stick
    s or WIFI dongles. I have wired up my IR receiver and loaded up lirc-rpi overlay. irw produces no output at all, but mode2 -d /dev/lirc0 produces output. I attempted to useirrecord /storage/.config/lircd.conf

to generate a valid config file but after the first two stages which produce dots it doesn't seem to produce a config that produces useful output.
    I am frustrated because I have previously managed to setup a pi-zero for a projector project using an IR-remote and LIRC and it worked fine - though this was a version around about 5 of Openelec.

All of the guides to LIRC seem to be outdated and from what I read from other people having similar issues, something has changed with LIRC between versions 6 and 7 of Libreelec.

i would prefer to use ir-keytables, but this also seems to have similar issues with ir-keytable -t producing no output at all.

dmesg produces this:

Code
    lirc_rpi: auto-detected active low receiver on GPIO pin 18
    lirc_rpi lirc_rpi: lirc_dev: driver lirc_rpi registered at minor = 0
    lirc_rpi: driver registered!
    lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 245
    lirc_rpi: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.

So what I know for certain is that IR is been detected, but it never gets translated into any useful output. I suspect that something is not right with Lirc-rpi and it needs attention.

Stephen

• OK status update. I went back and retried irrecord and on about the fifth attempt it managed to generate a functional Lircd.conf file. I used this and the keymap editor addon to get the functionality that I needed.

So alls well that ends well.

Stephen