System hang (sometimes)

• Sometimes my system just hangs. This happens every two weeks or so. Most of the time i'm not at home and my wife reboots the device which leads to loss of logs.

Now I was home.

dmesg:
    VeCi

kodi.log:
    KJPD

I think the dmesg displays the error, but I don't know for sure.

I'm using a Intel NUC (D54250WYK)

• Official Post

Some of your added repos are questionable 3rd party repositories. Addons from those repos can contain functionality beyone our control. A test with a clean setup (a bootable usb stick with LibreELEC, and no added repos) should clarify things.

Which dmesg error are you referring to?

• Some of your added repos are questionable 3rd party repositories. Addons from those repos can contain functionality beyone our control. A test with a clean setup (a bootable usb stick with LibreELEC, and no added repos) should clarify things.

Which dmesg error are you referring to?

The Call trace is not normal behavior i believe.

What repro's are you talking about, I've removed all banned repro's I believe, all other repro's are legit and contain normal addons.

• Official Post

what klojum wants to say is, that it would be best to have a clean kodi. That means no repos addons beside the officials should be installed.

You are right, there seems not to be a banned repo installed, but also those other repos or addons might cause an issue probably. So you could rename your .kodi folder to something like "kodi-bak" and reboot. That's like a factory reset. All addons and settings are 'gone', but backuped in the "kodi-bak" folder. So it's easy to restore them after testing.

If the issue is gone after renaming the .kodi folder, one of the repos/addons might be the issue. So install them one after another and see, after which addon causes Kodi to hang.

If the issue still persists, please get us a new (clean) logfile.

• what klojum wants to say is, that it would be best to have a clean kodi. That means no repos addons beside the officials should be installed.

You are right, there seems not to be a banned repo installed, but also those other repos or addons might cause an issue probably. So you could rename your .kodi folder to something like "kodi-bak" and reboot. That's like a factory reset. All addons and settings are 'gone', but backuped in the "kodi-bak" folder. So it's easy to restore them after testing.

If the issue is gone after renaming the .kodi folder, one of the repos/addons might be the issue. So install them one after another and see, after which addon causes Kodi to hang.

If the issue still persists, please get us a new (clean) logfile.

Okay, I see what you mean. The problem is, this happens only once in a while. It's not reproducable. I do have deleted some of the Repro's, which weren't in use anymore, but removing all of them would result in a discussion with the wife. I'll try and find out what she hates more. A few weeks without the addons, or the incidental power cycle.

• Official Post

It's easily done if you rename the folder...

ssh in and

Code
    mv /storage/.kodi /storage/kodi-bak

every setting and add-on is now stored in "kodi-bak". But Kodi won't recognize this folder anymore.

reboot after the command above and Kodi will create automatically a new .kodi folder with all settings at default and no add-ons/repositories installed.

Then test if the issue comes up.

if it doesn't come up, install one add-on after the other, to see when (or if) the issue comes up then.

if you want your add-ons and settings back for a moment...

ssh in again and:

Code
    rm /storage/.kodi

#don't reboot after that!!!!!!!!!!!

mv /storage/kodi-bak /storage/.kodi

Note: the text after the "#" is just a note for you and not a command to enter.

reboot after you did both commands and you should have your add-ons, repos and settings back.

Greetings

• This is the reason for your hang:

Code
    [29641.033009] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ffffea0008fc7168
    [29641.033126] IP: [<ffffffff810a327c>] list_del+0x7/0x2a
    [29641.033212] PGD 21f5f7067 PUD 21f5f6067 PMD 0 
    [29641.033272] Oops: 0002 [#1] SMP 
    [29641.033312] Modules linked in: 8021q iwlmvm mac80211 iwlwifi wl(PO) intel_powerclamp intel_rapl iosf_mbi snd_hda_codec_realtek snd_hda_codec_generic snd_hda_codec_hdmi btusb btrtl btbcm btintel bluetooth cfg80211 snd_hda_intel snd_hda_codec snd_hda_core snd_hwdep ir_xmp_decoder ir_lirc_codec lirc_dev ir_mce_kbd_decoder ir_sharp_decoder ir_sanyo_decoder ir_sony_decoder ir_jvc_decoder ir_rc6_decoder ir_rc5_decoder ir_nec_decoder rc_rc6_mce nuvoton_cir rc_core dw_dmac dw_dmac_core snd_soc_rt5640 snd_soc_rl6231 snd_soc_sst_acpi
    [29641.034026] CPU: 0 PID: 29280 Comm: DVDPlayerVideo Tainted: P           O    4.4.7 #1

Looks like this is caused by DVDPlayerVideo, which is odd no matter what addons you have installed. I have had the same NUC model as you for a couple years and never had a kernel crash like this. Hard to say what's the root cause here, could be either HW or SW.

• This is the reason for your hang:

Code
    [29641.033009] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ffffea0008fc7168
    [29641.033126] IP: [<ffffffff810a327c>] list_del+0x7/0x2a
    [29641.033212] PGD 21f5f7067 PUD 21f5f6067 PMD 0
    [29641.033272] Oops: 0002 [#1] SMP
    [29641.033312] Modules linked in: 8021q iwlmvm mac80211 iwlwifi wl(PO) intel_powerclamp intel_rapl iosf_mbi snd_hda_codec_realtek snd_hda_codec_generic snd_hda_codec_hdmi btusb btrtl btbcm btintel bluetooth cfg80211 snd_hda_intel snd_hda_codec snd_hda_core snd_hwdep ir_xmp_decoder ir_lirc_codec lirc_dev ir_mce_kbd_decoder ir_sharp_decoder ir_sanyo_decoder ir_sony_decoder ir_jvc_decoder ir_rc6_decoder ir_rc5_decoder ir_nec_decoder rc_rc6_mce nuvoton_cir rc_core dw_dmac dw_dmac_core snd_soc_rt5640 snd_soc_rl6231 snd_soc_sst_acpi
    [29641.034026] CPU: 0 PID: 29280 Comm: DVDPlayerVideo Tainted: P O 4.4.7 #1

Looks like this is caused by DVDPlayerVideo, which is odd no matter what addons you have installed. I have had the same NUC model as you for a couple years and never had a kernel crash like this. Hard to say what's the root cause here, could be either HW or SW.

Mmm.. thanks for your answer, could it be BIOS releated? I'm using BIOS 41 (latest) from Intel. Or maybe I should install from scratch, i'm using this install for a pretty long time, with constant upgrades and updates.