[Solved] Boot stuck at LibreELEC splash

• Most of the time when I try to boot up LibreELEC, I just get to the splash screen with the following type of errors:

"Failed to start Xorg Server"
    "Dependency failed for Fluxbox Window Manager"
    Image: HERE

Every once in a while I can get it to fully boot up and show the Kodi interface, but most the time it won't show the interface and just sits at the splash screen.

I'm not sure if it's potentially a driver issue, as in /var/log/Xorg.0.log I think I see that it's attempting to use nvidia drivers, despite the system having an AMD card? The full log can be found HERE. Also ran the command "journalctl -b 0 --no-pager" on a fresh boot, and the log can be found HERE.

Just a little hardware info, if it further helps to determine the issue:

EVGA 680i motherboard
    e6600 cpu (no igpu)
    4gb ram
    AMD 5850 gpu
    Output via HDMI to a Denon receiver connected to the TV

Edited once, last by rehpyc (December 21, 2016 at 7:03 AM).

• Can't see anything odd other than the nvidia driver being loaded despite you having an AMD GPU. Perhaps your nForce motherboard is identified as a GPU somehow. Have you tried LE8 alpha?

• Bypass the AVR, delete the guisettings.xml file, reboot a couple of times of the problems remains.
    I gotta say that AMD GPUs are not LibreELEC's best friend. AMD video drivers have been a challenge the last couple of years. Some GPUs work, other don't work.

• Yeah, with the motherboard using an old nvidia chipset, I wonder if that's causing internal confusion? I may try giving LE8 alpha a shot tomorrow, unless there's anything else I could try. However, I'm not sure if a different version would make much of a difference? Lol

Edit: Klojum, I've intended to try bypassing the AVR, to see if that's causing any issue. I'm hoping it's not, as all my video devices are routed through it, so that my universal remote can turn the device needed, AVR, and TV on all together. I'd lose that convenience :( I hear you on AMD drivers.. there's a reason why it got thrown into my media pc, despite still being a rather decent gaming card lol.

Edited once, last by rehpyc (December 20, 2016 at 10:26 AM).

• This clearly has nothing to do with either AVR or Kodi:

Code
    Fatal server error:
    [454405.763] (EE) no screens found(EE)
    [454405.763] (EE)

X.org fails to load the driver and thus no X server or applications can start. This is what you need to troubleshoot.

Edited once, last by escalade (December 20, 2016 at 10:43 AM).

• For kicks, I booted into Windows 10 first, then did a reboot and then selected LibreELEC in the Syslinux boot menu. This had everything load up like normal. This doesn't always work, just the same as simply rebooting the machine numerous times finally will have LibreELEC/Kodi fully load.

In case it helps at all, to compare with the previous logs provided..

dmesg: (bad boot) iRIZ (good boot) aQKC
    journalctl -b 0 --no-pager: (bad boot) here (good boot) QhFT
    Xorg.0.log: (bad boot) here (good boot) YhYY

With the Xorg log, on the bad boots it's trying to load the nvidia module, while with the good boot it's loading the radeon module. Kind of puts me back into thinking it has to do with nvidia drivers being loaded for the graphics vs. the radeo ones. And I don't suppose there's any way to force one vs. the other?

• Try putting this in /storage/.config/xorg.conf:

Code
    Section "Device"
            Identifier  "AMD Graphics"
            Driver      "radeon"
            Option      "DRI3"        "1"
            Option      "AccelMethod" "glamor"
    Endsection
  • Still a hit or miss with actually making it into Kodi

Bad boots:

Good boots:

At least I'm able to get into Kodi every few reboots, where as before I could only get things to load fully to Kodi after many reboots lol.

• You'll want to use a custom udev rule

Code
    cp /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/97-xorg.rules /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/
    nano /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/97-xorg.rules

Then remove the line with nvidia

Unfortunate, I don't find anything regarding nvidia in it :( is there another line I should adjust/remove?