RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• Not sure what went wrong there, as I didn't make any changes to the driver other than adding the 4.11 patch. /var/lib is supposed to be populated by /usr/lib/xorg/xorg-configure, you can look at the script to see what went wrong. From the build directory, it looks like the driver is in place:

thx. I will look into this when I have the time for it and report back.

• Ok, I'll have a look thanks :)

New build 20170506, updated kernel to 4.11.

Thats all? Just kernel update after a month of waiting. No! We can not accept that! We, the people, demand more ;)

Wysłane z mojego Nexus 5 przy użyciu Tapatalka

• That's in one day, you haven't been paying attention ;) Also I was 3 weeks on the beach far away

There's not much to do now that LE8 has been stabilized. I'm mostly rebasing, bumping libretro core versions and graphics stack etc.

Edited once, last by escalade (May 9, 2017 at 8:36 AM).

• escalade

Hi!

Thank you and great work on this custom build.
    The one and only missing thing is now to use the Emulationstation fork from retropie. As I understood it, you actually included it a couple of weeks ago, but reverted it due to some nvidia driver issue? Boy, was I dissapointed when I tried to use the new image, only to realize that it was reverted :(

As I invested heavy amount of time into customizing video previews (it is *so* worth it), could you please give me some hints of howto add it back (I'm a developer myself, but not into C/C++) I've looked through your Git repository, but seem to be unable to find your specific commits.

Or would it be possible to add it back once more or somehow provide a custom version (i.e /usr/bin/emulationstation-retropie ?) into your build.

Hope to hear some thoughts from you about how it could be solved.

All the best!
    Johan

• I reverted it due to the added space required for libvlc, also I think there was an issue compiling libvlc for RPi. What kind of system were you thinking to run it on? I've since rebased so that specific commit is lost, but it's just a matter of changing the url for the emulationstation package to the retropie repo. Is there a specific reason you want the ES from retropie? Pretty much the only difference is the added support for videos in themes.

• I reverted it due to the added space required for libvlc, also I think there was an issue compiling libvlc for RPi. What kind of system were you thinking to run it on? I've since rebased so that specific commit is lost, but it's just a matter of changing the url for the emulationstation package to the retropie repo. Is there a specific reason you want the ES from retropie? Pretty much the only difference is the added support for videos in themes.

Main reasons I want the retropie emulationstation is because

1. Video previews . This is just too damn sexy. And after been using Launchbox/Attractmode for a such a long time, it's pain to go back.
    I also notice that I'm actually more engaged and willing to invest playing new games, since it's a more exploratory user experience.

2. It's actually has some active development (and the retropie community is huge)

3. The theming community is becoming so creative, using video previews. Just look at this or this or ... this

4. Other neat features like:
    - Goto Random Game
    - Optimize time saving gamelists (can be a huge timesaver on large rom collections)
    - Gamelist filter (filter genre, players, ratings, publisher/developer)

I'm currently running it ontop of multiple machines (and raspberrys), but my main target is x64 (Intel nuc) for which your build is just perfect for. The extra oomphf together with either 240p or 480p video previews is amazing, but it works just as well on a Raspberry Pi.

How much extra space are we talking about btw?
    Anyway, I think this would be *the* killer for your build, combining two of open source most popular and beloved projects.

Edited once, last by apanzzon (May 9, 2017 at 7:08 PM).

• I've uploaded a new build under the "test" folder with ES from RetroPie, go ahead and give it a test run. I've done no testing myself on the new themes and the video functionality, could be that my libvlc package needs adjustment.

The size addition is about 61MB uncompressed, the resulting image exceeds 512MB and would be incompatible with the LE partitioning scheme. I've removed other graphics drivers in the test build keeping only i965 which should be enough for your NUC.

I've added the commit to my "retroes" branch.

• I've uploaded a new build under the "test" folder with ES from RetroPie, go ahead and give it a test run. I've done no testing myself on the new themes and the video functionality, could be that my libvlc package needs adjustment.

The size addition is about 61MB uncompressed, the resulting image exceeds 512MB and would be incompatible with the LE partitioning scheme. I've removed other graphics drivers in the test build keeping only i965 which should be enough for your NUC.

I've added the commit to my "retroes" branch.

Thank you!

I've tried it now, twice. On this particular nuc, (old nuc dc3217iye with HD4000 integrated graphics card), this results in libreelec booting up with the logo, and then only showing a black screen with a cursor. Searching around the internetz, a lot of people seem to have the same issue (i.e here LibreELEC (Krypton) v8.0.0 RELEASE – LibreELEC)

Procedure:
    1) Clean install of LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0-devel-20170506.img.gz -
    Result: Booting up fine. (I have a sound issue though, no sound via retroarch, but that might be solved by pinning down the correct device, not sure - to be investigated).
    Movies play fine with sound though, like expected.

2) Update to test build LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0-devel-20170509.tar
    Result: Booting up to a black screen with only a cursor.

I've tried to dig through the logs, but I'm not able to find anything.
    Actually, after cleaning ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log and restart, the log is empty. Seems like kodi doesn't start?

If you could hand me some advice of what logs to use, I might be able to dig further.
    I'll try to see if it works on another nuc as well.

• My bad, forgot to clean kodi/ffmpeg which has been linked to vdpau libs which aren't included as I disabled other graphic drivers. I'm rebuilding and uploading again.

EDIT: New build uploaded, tested working.

Edited once, last by escalade (May 9, 2017 at 9:30 PM).

• My bad, forgot to clean kodi/ffmpeg which has been linked to vdpau libs which aren't included as I disabled other graphic drivers. I'm rebuilding and uploading again.

EDIT: New build uploaded, tested working.

Hallelujah! It works! :D :D

The sound issue was solved by copying aplay.conf.sample and pinning down the correct port.

Although, there's a small issue - there's no sound in the previews. (in my case it's actually a feature, since I've actually compiled video previews with and without sound as there's no way currently (?) to stop the video from looping - making your head go crazy if it's in the background of the living room)

I can still here some "ticking clicks" when previewing games inside of emulationstation, so there's sound both there and in retroarch.

I'm assuming this is a codec issue, wdyt?
    Currently, my snaps are using:

Audio
    MPEG-4 AAC
    Stereo / 48000 Hz / 109 kbps bitrate

Video
    H.264
    320 x 240
    60 frames per second
    160 kbps

I'm going to try to convert them with ffmpeg to use just vanilla .wav, and then go to some common format like mp3 and see if it makes a difference and come back.

Thank you *so* much for this!

• Probably because of the --disable-a52 parameter I passed when compiling vlc (there was a reason for this which I can't recall just now). If you convert the audio track to wav/mp3 it should work. Have fun, do some testing and report back ;) If you hook me up with a complete theme I can test, I might be interested to polish it more :)

• Probably because of the --disable-a52 parameter I passed when compiling vlc (there was a reason for this which I can't recall just now). If you convert the audio track to wav/mp3 it should work. Have fun, do some testing and report back ;) If you hook me up with a complete theme I can test, I might be interested to polish it more :)

Absolutely, I've sent you a PM with a complete theme! :)

Test results so far:

mp4/aac = no sound
    mp4/mp3 = no sound
    avi/wav = no sound (mp4 apparently can't use raw PCM)

Edited once, last by apanzzon (May 10, 2017 at 12:29 AM).

• They are not Kodi addons, they are packages integrated into the image.

Okay, that makes sense that I can't find them, please excuse my ignorance, how do i go about using them then? I've search around for information about kodi packages but I'm just learning about it. I have the most recent build running on a RPI2, I installed addon's to use retroarch, but clearly its in here somewhere and I don't know how to access it. Again, sorry for wasting your time, my handle is very accurate.

• thx. I will look into this when I have the time for it and report back.

So I looked at the script and ran it manually. It seems like the script does not actually do anything, though. No symlinks are being created in /var/lib/ and looking at the syslog, none of the lines logger is supposed to write to it are in there. Instead it seems like the script just stops and restarts Xorg. I unfortunately cannot find the file I save the syslog output to :@ so I cannot include it here.

Any ideas what would prevent the script from working?

• Are you looking at the right script? There's nothing in it that will start/stop the X server. It simply generates arguments for the X server under /run/libreelec/xorg-settings.conf. You need to pass it "nvidia" in order for /var/lib to be populated. It's supposed to be run automatically by udev when an nvidia card is detected. I tested it on my NUC and /var/lib got properly populated. I'm guessing it's not being run for some reason.

• Are you looking at the right script? There's nothing in it that will start/stop the X server. It simply generates arguments for the X server under /run/libreelec/xorg-settings.conf. You need to pass it "nvidia" in order for /var/lib to be populated. It's supposed to be run automatically by udev when an nvidia card is detected. I tested it on my NUC and /var/lib got properly populated. I'm guessing it's not being run for some reason.

Yes I was definitely running the right script. However, I didn't pass an argument. Looking at the script, I wondered where "$1" would come from, but didn't make the connection (you can tell I am not a programmer/scripter.

Running "sh /usr/lib/xorg/xorg-configure nvidia" did not do anything either though. I am probably missing something really stupid again :dodgy:

Anyhow, I solved the problem for now by copying the part of the script that creates the symlinks in /var/lib into a separate script, run it, then change /run/libreelec/xorg-settings.conf by hand.