RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• Doh, gdrive filled up again. New image uploaded with some cool progress:

- There's now a "Desktop" entry in Kodi that launches the new desktop session with Sway, now including LavaLauncher, grimshot, swayidle (DPMS screen saving) and notifications through Mako.

- Linux 5.6.0-rc3

- ALSA 1.2.2

- New font setup (Cantarell Sans + Source Code Pro monospace)

Screenshot from a fresh boot in VMware after selecting Desktop from Kodi and starting a few apps. There's RPCS3, alacritty and antimicro (tray icon in the top right):

jmZTbif.png

I could use this as my main desktop soon :) Firefox is performing very nice with the new GL accelerated layers, scrolling is silky smooth. VAAPI support is coming in FF 75 as well I think.

If anyone has better suggestions for icons (ES needs a new one for sure), let me know. This is just what I came up with after searching a bit on each app I wanted in there :) 256x256 pixels (or higher) PNG gives best results.

• @esalade this looks absolutely amazing, I do have a question for you, my master bedroom HTPC is getting very long in the tooth and I was looking for recommendations as for adequate hardware to finally be able to move on from the generic build to something where I can really kick the tires and see what this can do. I look forward to your response and thanks again for all your hard work with your fork. it truly is one of a kind

• My 7 year old NUC D54250 runs Mario Kart Wii on Vulkan 60fps, my new NUC8 i5 does RPCS3@1080p and can use heavy shaders in RetroArch without breaking a sweat. Intel is where it's at when it comes to open source GPU drivers and video acceleration these days, so that's definitely my recommendation. Oh and get a DS4 if you don't already have one, its trackpad functions great as a mouse :)

• well I'll be damned I dont doubt you one bit when I grabbed it the first time there were two files in there grabbed again and updated I think its the correct version using the last three digits referenced in your earlier post. installed same behavior with the desktop link from within Kodi persists I can only assume at this moment that the behavior would continue can check tomorrow morning (the fiance wants her sleep and I value my life) will verify tomorrow AM new logs attached.

• emulationstation not launching hangs at black screen latest generic build. Yields same results going into new desktop menu item from kodi. Retroarch launches from kodi.

similar observation here. ES and FF (now Desktop) do not start. I see the Sway background, and that's it.

ps -ef always only shows something like this:

1087 root 0:00 {kodi-desktop.sh} /bin/sh /usr/bin/kodi-desktop.sh

1088 root 0:00 systemctl start sway

1089 root 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --session --address=unix:path=/run/dbus/session_bus_socket --nofork --nopidfile --syslog-only

1096 root 0:00 sway -V

1102 root 0:00 sway -V

1108 root 0:00 swaybg -o * -i /usr/share/backgrounds/sway/Sway_Wallpaper_Blue_1920x1080.png -m fill

1110 root 0:00 swaybar -b bar-0

1115 root 0:00 sshd: root@pts/0

1117 root 0:00 -sh

1122 root 0:00 ps -ef

Kodi works and RA starts from within Kodi.

Logs attached.

• Please try from a clean install (use a USB key or something), because I can't reproduce. I can't see any trace of what's going in your logs either, everything logs to it's own file in /var/log which should be in the zip file. I see them when I test here but not in your logs. Be sure not to reboot when creating the log files as they are deleted on reboot.

Liquidmercury

What's stopping you from dropping the core into /tmp/cores manually?

• Copy it any way you prefer, there’s tar/rsync/smb/nfs :) For the sake of testing, I would recommend just flashing the image to a free usb key and boot from that.

Before you do any of that, could you try removing /storage/.config/sway/config and rebooting?

• Didn’t think of booting from usb that’s genius!

It hung on the live boot when trying to access both desktop and emulationstation also just tried deleting /.config/sway/config and no dice. Anything else you would like me to try?

Edited once, last by Liquidmercury (February 25, 2020 at 3:12 PM).

• mtk1

Seems like you are on an old release as well Generic.x86_64-devel-20200220125702-28eddc2. Latest is

RetroELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.2-devel-20200225010434-28eddc2.img.gz md5sum

66b9f295f70544861b7f75c859753621.

Liquidmercury

Check that your /etc/sway/config contains this in the end: