RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• mtk1

Too bad, unfortunately in my experience the low-end Intel GPU's like those in your Braswell tend to have less focus by the dev team. Hard to say where the bug is though, could be in the kernel driver, Mesa, Firefox or in Sway/wlroots. Could even be caused by LTO for all I know, but it seems to work fine both on my NUC8 and my older Haswell NUC. Can you reproduce at all, or is it very random?

rfrayer

I don't have the OGST case myself, and I consider it quite the useless gimmick. AFAIK all you need is ffmpeg and the TFT kernel driver though, which is included in this build. If a kernel or ffmpeg config option is missing I could include it. You can add your own launch scripts through /storage/.config/emu_start.sh and emu_stop.sh.

• Hi escalade,

the RPI4 build RetroELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2-devel-20200204155301-28eddc2 has an issue at my end.

most of the libretro cores crash back to kodi from either retroarch or ES.

here is the log but I cant see anything.

hastebin

(forum will not let me paste full log due to character limit)

The RetroELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2-devel-20200203142405-28eddc2 build works ok.

Any help would be great,im setting up my new PI4 box and want to start on the newset build possible.

• Kodi has nothing to do with emulators, post logs as described on the first page.

ok, sorry for the newb coms.

here is the log from retroarch logs.

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I have tested and on a fresh install none of the liblretro cores I tried work on the newer build.

Hope this is enough info to figure out why its not working here.

Has anyone else with a RPI4 tested retroarch on the RetroELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2-devel-20200204155301-28eddc2 build?

Edited once, last by mystik_al (February 8, 2020 at 10:59 AM).

• mtk1

Too bad, unfortunately in my experience the low-end Intel GPU's like those in your Braswell tend to have less focus by the dev team. Hard to say where the bug is though, could be in the kernel driver, Mesa, Firefox or in Sway/wlroots. Could even be caused by LTO for all I know, but it seems to work fine both on my NUC8 and my older Haswell NUC. Can you reproduce at all, or is it very random?

rfrayer

I don't have the OGST case myself, and I consider it quite the useless gimmick. AFAIK all you need is ffmpeg and the TFT kernel driver though, which is included in this build. If a kernel or ffmpeg config option is missing I could include it. You can add your own launch scripts through /storage/.config/emu_start.sh and emu_stop.sh.

Well, the box is now 4 years old and it's a good match for my even older Full-HD plasma TV :) Once I can make up my mind what new TV to get, I'll also upgrade the the motherboard. So, it's good to know that it works with your NUCs.

In principal FF works fine, there are no rendering issues, etc. Just on multimedia-heavy websites (i.e youtube, ifun.tv), this 'GPU hang' happens from time to time. Sometimes FF crashes after a few seconds, sometime it continues to then eventually crash at some point. It does not (did not so far) happen when you enter a website and wait for it to load completely (without scrolling, etc). Heavy srolling, etc. is what triggers it. Oh, and once while watching a video.

I guess, for now, I keep updating when you have new releases. Maybe it gets fixes along the way. I really felt that the -rc6 kernel based image did not have those problems - but maybe I was just lucky.

Anyway, thanks for looking into it !

• New Generic/RPi4 image out:

• updated transmission to latest git and linked against system ca certificates, extended sysctl values for maximum performance
    • more font polish, if anyone has issues with fonts run fontconfig-setup.sh in a terminal
    • added wireguard from upstream LE, updated modules to v0.0.20200205
    • libretro core updates
    • unified firefox.sh into a common script for arm/x86_64 (arm will use Xwayland by default), now runs native for all images (x86_64 uses official binaries, arm uses ubuntu 19.10.1 binaries)
    • adjusted plymouth boot splash to exit on common update failures to see what's going on

• updated transmission to latest git and linked against system ca certificates, extended sysctl values for maximum performance
    • more font polish, if anyone has issues with fonts run fontconfig-setup.sh in a terminal
    • libretro core updates
    • unified firefox.sh into a common script for arm/x86_64 (arm will use Xwayland by default), now runs native for all images (x86_64 uses official binaries, arm uses ubuntu 19.10.1 binaries)
    • adjusted plymouth boot splash to exit on common update failures to see what's going on

I tried the new build and it works ok here on RPI4.

Not sure what the issue was with the previous build but i have tested snes ,flycast and genesis libretro cores and all work as expected now.

Will spend some time fiddling about over the weekend and report back if i find any issues.

tip sent.

keep up the great work.

• I installed RetroELEC on my Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB)

The Browser is not working.

When i start the browser, a start screen comes up (SWAY) and nothing happend. The mouse is working.

I think the browser has no internet connection and can not load.

How to add games to RetroArch?

I have ROMs on my SD-Card (storage/roms/snes/SuperMarioWorld.smc) and when i try to start a ROM, the RetroArch is just switching back to Kodi.

None of the RetroELEC special features can be used, only the standard LibreELEC functions are available.

• You need an internet connection, the browser will be downloaded on first run. Please include the log zipfile as instructed on the first page after trying to launch a rom it will show me what went wrong.

• RetroELEC-RPi2.arm-9.2-devel-20200208153230-28eddc2

RPi2 seems to be mostly working fine. I noticed one error about sdio on the terminal/console display when I would switch between Kodi and ES.

Browser initially crashed but then worked the second time. Its god awfully slow on Pi2 (as I would expect).

ES works correctly.

Retroarch good. Though I only tested one NES rom for now.

I tried playing a 1080p video that wasn't running at full speed. I thought the Pi2 handled h264 decode in hardware but maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

Logs attached.

• libretro core updates

mtk1

rfrayer

OK, change of plans. I've upgraded my ITX mainboard to a new model with a Pentium J5005 CPU/SoC which features an Intel 605 GPU.

And, so far, FF seems to run fine. No GPU hangs, yet (let's hope it stays that way :)

Now, there an issue with Passthrough and Kodi (and also no audio in ES).

In Kodi, I need to choose Pulse to get any audio output. With the old system, I had chosen HDMI#2 - which also showed my Receiver/TV as connected to this port. For 'Passthrough' I had selected the same port and enabled all codecs for Passthrough. And all was good.

Now, I can selected any listed audio device but there's no audio in Passthrough mode - only in non-passthrough / PCM.

In ES, there is no audio, at all. No matter which of the listed (ALSA ?) device I choose.

I'm on the latest image and even did a 'factory reset'.

• jaykass

I think changing cpu governor to performance is worth a try, look at /etc/profile.d/99-oem.conf and find the commands there I’m not in front of my laptop atm. Good to hear browser is working the latest rpi2 build runs it in wayland no xwayland.

mtk1

Thats weird can you try a clean install? Kodi is set up to use alsa in this image, pulseaudio is disabled while kodi runs. You should be able to select the correct output and get sound. Anything else should use pulseaudio which detects the active output by default. If that should fail you can use pactl.

• jaykass

I think changing cpu governor to performance is worth a try, look at /etc/profile.d/99-oem.conf and find the commands there I’m not in front of my laptop atm. Good to hear browser is working the latest rpi2 build runs it in wayland no xwayland.

mtk1

Thats weird can you try a clean install? Kodi is set up to use alsa in this image, pulseaudio is disabled while kodi runs. You should be able to select the correct output and get sound. Anything else should use pulseaudio which detects the active output by default. If that should fail you can use pactl.

• jaykass

mtk1

I did this morning. Same thing, I can only get audio out of Kodi if I select 'Pulse Server'...

'pactl exit' fails due to "Access denied"

Update: killing the pulse daemon and restarting Kodi works. Now, I can select HDMI #0 and passthrough works.

• mtk1

I will be offline a couple of days can't look closely now but it's very unexpected behaviour. Kodi in my image runs with ALSA through the

KODI_AE_SINK=ALSA variable which is set in the systemd unit file (confirm it by excecuting systemctl cat kodi). The binary kodi.bin is started through pasuspender which suspends Pulseaudio until the process exits. You shouldn't be getting any sound from setting Pulseaudio in system settings, and there should be no need to stop Pulseaudio as it's already suspended. I'll have a look at your logs later though, thanks for the feedback.